Giving a new shooter help and ideas

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Giving a new shooter help and ideas

Post by NEWBIE » 12 Feb 2014, 3:13 pm

Hey guys,

Recently I've decided that id like to get into shooting, I've done archery and it just doesn't do it for me.

So I've thought that having a rifle might be the way to go. I've done research and got a few questions to ask.

I'm new to this so I may not know much.

Okay, so after reading up on the registry of owning a firearm, it states that the safe must be locked down to 2 immovable surfaces, and on other sites it says it can be bolted to the concrete with 10mm wide, 90mm deep threaded rods.

I'm at a loss as to which one of these are accepted. Tell me what you have done to secure your safes. Keep in mind, my home is rented, so I can not go bolting stuff through walls, but I have a closet that has a cement floor that may be able to be used.

Also, I've read up on owning your first gun, and pretty much all have told me to grab a good 22. rifle. But as to which rifle to choose, I'm lost.

What I'm after is a long barrelled bolt action rifle that's somewhat accurate, reliable and has a cost to match. After using the 22. for a decent amount of time, Id like to get something more powerful.

Main reasons for wanting a rifle is for target shooting and hunting. I'm aware of the 22s somewhat short range, and the low power, so that will be used for only targets.

Any help, or any helpful information what so ever will be greatly appreciated.
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Giving a new shooter help and ideas

Post by artimu » 12 Feb 2014, 3:20 pm

Welcome to the forum Newbie.

Don't be afraid to ask question, no one will bite you. :)
artimu
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Hercl » 12 Feb 2014, 3:21 pm

I will.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by artimu » 12 Feb 2014, 3:23 pm

No one except Hercl will bite you :lol:
artimu
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Hercl » 12 Feb 2014, 3:35 pm

He he.

Seriously though, about your storage questions...

The safe only has to be bolted down if it weighs less than 150kg when empty. You can get safes like the Spika SCH1 which weighs 155kg or other similar ones which are just over the weight limit so you don't have to bolt it in at all. Gun safes like this are a big bigger/more expensive than your smaller locker style ones but if you can afford one it's a good option for a rental as you don't have to bolt it to anything, just stick it in a room.

If your safe is less than 150kg you need to bolt it in. This is quoted directly from NSW Police website:

Do I have to secure my receptacle to the premises?
Yes. If the receptacle used for storing the firearms weighs less than 150kg (when empty), the receptacle must be secured to the structure of the building.

The receptacle should be secured by way of expanding anchor bolts (or similar) fixed internally through the base and/or back of the receptacle. The securing points should not be visible or accessible externally from the receptacle.

* When mounted onto brick, stone or concrete, it should be attached by at least four (4) masonry anchors 90mm in length and 10mm in diameter internally fitted through holes in the rear and/or base of the container, securing it to the floor and/or wall. The receptacle should be mounted flush with the floor and/or wall.

* When mounted onto main wall studs or wall bearers, it should be fitted flush against the wall and secured to the wall studs and/or floor bearers by four (4) galvanized hexagon head coach screws, not less than 65mm in length and 8mm in diameter. The receptacle should be mounted flush with the floor and/or wall.

Like it says, it needs to bolted the base and/or back of the safe. You don't have to do both. If you can bolt it into the cement floor in the closet you're all good.

FYI, here is a fact sheet on storage requirements in NSW for you.

In case you're not across the licensing categories yet, you'll be looking at getting a category A/B license. These (the sheet linked) are the requirements you need to meet.

The information you've gotten on needing to be secured at the base and back may have been for higher categories of firearms which you won't have.

-

On the subject of which gun to get, starting out on a 22 isn't a bad idea. I gets you introduced to shooting and you can work on your technique without worrying about managing recoil on larger calibre stuff.

Ammo is also cheap as chips which is nice... You're right that they are a little limited though. 50m is the "usual" range for a 22, up to 100m if you feel like it, but that's about it.

As an alternative, you might be better off starting out with a .223 Remington instead.

.223 is still very little recoil, ammo is cheap as far as centrefire stuff goes. The difference is the .223 is comfortable a 500m rifle which obviously opens a few extra activities to you.

If you just want to punch paper at 50m, a .22LR is definitely the way to go.

For hunting and target shooting, the .223 is good for both at 500m all day long. Foxes, rabbits etc. No problem.

You can start out shooting at shorter distances while your technique improves and work your way up from there.

Something for you to consider.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 12 Feb 2014, 3:52 pm

Hercl wrote:I will.

Jackass :P

To Newbie, when you say "has a cost to match" have you got a budget in mind here?

Price varies a lot, it would be helpful to have a $ number if possible.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NEWBIE » 12 Feb 2014, 4:57 pm

Thanks guys, great information here. Really appreciate your time.

My budget I'm looking to spend is roughly around the 800 mark.
I've seen there is plenty of rifles under that, but would like someone who has experience to point out the ones to keep an eye out for
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by chacho » 12 Feb 2014, 5:02 pm

$800 on the rifle only, or $800 for scope and rifle?
chacho
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by NEWBIE » 12 Feb 2014, 5:07 pm

With a scope.
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Feb 2014, 6:30 pm

Savage combo, don't worry what barrel it is as it won't get hot enough anyway.
Member-Deleted

Post by NEWBIE » 12 Feb 2014, 7:09 pm

So I looked up the savage combo, and I was only coming up with a single shot breach load rifle. I'm looking for a bolt action. Is there something I'm missing
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 12 Feb 2014, 8:55 pm

Welcome Newbie.

Check this topic out - Decent affordable rifles?

Recent discussion on affordable .223 and .22 rifles around the 7-800 mark.

Save repeating the same suggestions :)

See if that gives you some ideas.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NEWBIE » 13 Feb 2014, 7:12 am

So I've read the link sent to me by norton, and the howa varmint 223. Seems like the one to grab, actually not to fussed weather or not a scope comes with it as I'd probably be doing short range shots with it at first. Can always purchase one after
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Brute » 13 Feb 2014, 8:04 am

Nothing wrong with a Howa mate.

.223 is probably a smart way to go too imo.

Not do bag out the 22 by any means, but .223 will keep you busy for longer.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles