model 70 project rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: model 70 project rifle

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jun 2019, 8:14 pm

GQshayne wrote:Fine tuning????? Looks finished to me! LOL

:thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Jun 2019, 8:33 pm

GQshayne wrote:Fine tuning????? Looks finished to me! LOL

i like to tinker mate, i spent about 33 years playing with old school street machines ( HQ's , toranas, valiants ) and the bug to modify and improve and tune is now being applied to firearms. i recently had a look at a mates 6.5x55 zastava , floated the barrel, and did a cheap bedding job with aluminium tape from bunnings . the action was loose in the stock, so i built up layers of the tape along the sides of the stock where the receiver and first two inches of barrel sit ,till the receiver dropped snuggly into the stock . he shot three 129 gn sst handloads that grouped half inch in a cold clean barrel . he seemed pretty happy , and so was i to help out my mate. i picked up that trick off rimfirecentral web site . it will be permanantly bedded at a latter date with acraglass . the zastava MK70 is a better rifle than i gave credit too as well . new mauser 98 action with a parker hale/timney fully adjustable trigger . stock is a bit average and the barrels a thin featherweight that moves with heat , but their not a bad qaulity gun . i think they were sold under the "mark x" tag in the past . the factory stock inletting on my 1980 made model 70 is that exact it "clips in " i don't know if bedding will improve it that much. from a lot of yank forums the word is the mid 70's to the early 80's were a golden period for winchester when they had their sh!t together after the 1964 corporate "revamp" and downgrading of a previously well built product . all this posting is hard work, time for another beer ..... :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 29 Jun 2019, 9:32 pm

Will you still rebarrel br?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 29 Jun 2019, 11:49 pm

in2anity wrote:Will you still rebarrel br?

atm , no i think 243 is a great crossover caliber . varmiter/ deer caliber . gives me a excuse to buy another gun for a 358 build up , i seen a win featherweight that would do .a flatter shooter than my 6.5x55 is the 243 :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tank » 30 Jun 2019, 12:26 pm

bigpete wrote:I like big bores and I cannot lie...

Awww hell yeah!!
Go big or go home!
And we ain’t even Murican haha!!
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles