223 vs 22-250 for roos

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 223 vs 22-250 for roos

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2019, 7:12 pm

xDom wrote:Nah, I meant live rounds. I might have to look into this.

Rebels charge a flat $60 fee for Dangerous Goods freight to me here in country Victoria.
I wouldn't bother if it's something your dealer can get for you. I order a few boxes of different .22LR ammo for testing and I don't want to mess my dealer around ordering from several distributors that probably require him to order a minimum brick of each that he might never sell.
Rebels said this time that they can no longer deliver to the TNT depot so they need a business address. I think the farm is a business address but I didn't want to push it so I had it delivered to my dealer.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2019, 7:13 pm

Roo farmer wrote:
xDom wrote:I thought it wasn’t legally possible to buy rounds online or get them posted?!?

We're talking projectiles only here. Pointy lumps of lead.

Commonly known by the people that manufacture them as bullets :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 30 Jun 2019, 7:16 pm

bigfellascott wrote:They are one of my favourite projectiles alright, I can't believe how much they are charging for them in SA. I think Hornady do a bulk pack projectile which I think is a little cheaper, might be worth investigating. :drinks:

Yes, they are even cheaper still. But, they come in a 6000 pack. I haven't tried them in case I just can't get my rifle to like them, and then would be stuck with them, negating any savings. I don't know if this is a relevant concern or not. One of the best things about the Sierra super roos is the boat tail, as far as I know the Hornady ones don't have a boat tail, and they also have the crimp groove which I have been told can make things a bit finicky. I don't know if this is a relevant concern either.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2019, 7:44 pm

Roo farmer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:They are one of my favourite projectiles alright, I can't believe how much they are charging for them in SA. I think Hornady do a bulk pack projectile which I think is a little cheaper, might be worth investigating. :drinks:

Yes, they are even cheaper still. But, they come in a 6000 pack. I haven't tried them in case I just can't get my rifle to like them, and then would be stuck with them, negating any savings. I don't know if this is a relevant concern or not. One of the best things about the Sierra super roos is the boat tail, as far as I know the Hornady ones don't have a boat tail, and they also have the crimp groove which I have been told can make things a bit finicky. I don't know if this is a relevant concern either.

I think it's the RooMax which you can also buy in a 600 pack.
Attachments
RooMax.JPG
RooMax.JPG (32.61 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
Hornady SP.JPG
Hornady SP.JPG (41.59 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 30 Jun 2019, 9:39 pm

Roo farmer wrote:

The boat tail is only for longer distance greater than 300 yrds it reduces drag. Flat bottom bullets actually normally shoot more accurately out to 300 yrds. You will find most 100-300 yrd Bench resters use flat bottom bullets. The Longer ranges grater than 600 yards is where the bullet tail comes to its own.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jul 2019, 10:08 pm

sungazer wrote:
Roo farmer wrote:

The boat tail is only for longer distance greater than 300 yrds it reduces drag. Flat bottom bullets actually normally shoot more accurately out to 300 yrds. You will find most 100-300 yrd Bench resters use flat bottom bullets. The Longer ranges grater than 600 yards is where the bullet tail comes to its own.

Just buy the 100pk Game Kings mate, they are the same thing just in a 100pk size :drinks:

I've shot groups with em out of the Howa 22/250 that fit into a 10c piece @200m, so plenty accurate enough for bursting roo heads I reckon :thumbsup:

Note the Product Code No. 1365 which is the same as the 1365K which is on the Super Roo, I think the k might stand for 1000? Not sure but that's my guess. Anyway its the same projectile just in a smaller pack like I said earlier. Also marketed as the Super Bok in Sth Africa and no doubt marketed as other things in different countries too. :thumbsup:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/2 ... 55-gr-sbt/

Sorry SG I just re read your post and you're referring to the Hornady projectiles, no doubt they also do the same thing re smaller pks, it's just a matter of working out what they are, maybe they do something similar to sierra with product code. What you might be able to do is ask around on the different forums and see if someone will send you a few to try out before you commit to buying if they don't come in a smaller pk size? We often do that on AHN and theres usually someone who is willing to help out a fellow shooter. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Roo farmer » 02 Jul 2019, 7:27 pm

sungazer wrote:The boat tail is only for longer distance greater than 300 yrds it reduces drag. Flat bottom bullets actually normally shoot more accurately out to 300 yrds. You will find most 100-300 yrd Bench resters use flat bottom bullets. The Longer ranges grater than 600 yards is where the bullet tail comes to its own.

My use for the boat tail, is to speed up the reloading process. Case full of powder, drop a projectile on top roughly pointing somewhere in the upwards direction, then pull the lever on the press and it sorts itself out. No damaged brass from buckled necks, and no time wasted trying to perch a flat bottom projectile on the top of the case.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jul 2019, 7:55 pm

Roo farmer wrote:
sungazer wrote:The boat tail is only for longer distance greater than 300 yrds it reduces drag. Flat bottom bullets actually normally shoot more accurately out to 300 yrds. You will find most 100-300 yrd Bench resters use flat bottom bullets. The Longer ranges grater than 600 yards is where the bullet tail comes to its own.

My use for the boat tail, is to speed up the reloading process. Case full of powder, drop a projectile on top roughly pointing somewhere in the upwards direction, then pull the lever on the press and it sorts itself out. No damaged brass from buckled necks, and no time wasted trying to perch a flat bottom projectile on the top of the case.

Yep love em for that reason too, no fuss reloading, just the way I like it these days. :thumbsup:

I don't think most people hunting would notice any real world diff between flat base and BT and not much point shooting something that doesn't shoot well in ya rifle, might as well stick to what works regardless of whether its a FB or BT. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mark » 06 Jul 2019, 3:12 pm

In regards to the OP's original Question. No need for a different rifle, just target them @ night.
One of the culls i recently did, couldn't get within 500m during the day. But under spot light i managed on average 250 dead a night.
I'll also add that im only shooting a .222
Mark
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 07 Jul 2019, 8:20 am

On the subject of trying different projectiles I use this mob

https://projectilewarehouse.com.au/collections/224

Costs a bit extra but you don’t get stuck with any that don’t work.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 07 Jul 2019, 7:22 pm

Mark wrote:In regards to the OP's original Question. No need for a different rifle, just target them @ night.
One of the culls i recently did, couldn't get within 500m during the day. But under spot light i managed on average 250 dead a night.

Yes. Can't get near them at night. That's the dilemma.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Jul 2019, 9:16 pm

I was out with a bloke last night who uses 55's out of a 22-250 on them...yea baby...!!

Good heavy barrel outfit, well looked after, excellent hand load & a good shooter operating the trigger... :thumbsup:
He had one for one all night--not a single miss.

...Oh i forgot to mention an exceptional driver & spotter with excellent spatial awareness putting him on the money without any lag... (hehe)...

Prioritise the end result...
If its saving money on ammo...use 223...

If you want dead roos with emphatic kills at max legal range with minimal worry & confusion about hold over & range estimation without going all the way to a 243...the winner is....22-250...

Simple... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 07 Jul 2019, 9:32 pm

Totally agree with you stix I have been around the 22/250 in the hands of good operators it has a lot more reach than 223/222
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Roo farmer » 09 Jul 2019, 12:13 pm

Stix wrote:I was out with a bloke last night who uses 55's out of a 22-250 on them...yea baby...!!

Good heavy barrel outfit, well looked after, excellent hand load & a good shooter operating the trigger... :thumbsup:

...Oh i forgot to mention an exceptional driver & spotter with excellent spatial awareness putting him on the money without any lag... (hehe)...

If you want dead roos with emphatic kills at max legal range with minimal worry & confusion about hold over & range estimation without going all the way to a 243...the winner is....22-250...

Is it what he always uses? Or just when dealing with difficult roos? What brand/model? Do you know what magnification scope he has on it? Do you know how many shots he gets out of the barrel before it's worn out?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Jul 2019, 11:51 pm

Roo farmer wrote:
Stix wrote:I was out with a bloke last night who uses 55's out of a 22-250 on them...yea baby...!!

Is it what he always uses? Or just when dealing with difficult roos? What brand/model? Do you know what magnification scope he has on it? Do you know how many shots he gets out of the barrel before it's worn out?

Yes its what he always uses...although he's just bought a 223 but hasnt got it shooting yet...got 223 for cost factor...

Not sure what brand or model...Either Savage or Ruger from memory, stainless fluted, top load mag is all i know.

Scope was a couple of grands worth of 4-12x50...cant remember brand.

Round count...its still the first barrel so dont know...

Shooting roos where he does I cant imagine smoking out a barrel in no time flat...its pretty rare to shoot more than 3 at a stop before they all scale the horizon....mostly its just one or two down before they're gone so barrel doesnt get hot.

Are you looking for a magic outfit Roo Farmer...?
Because this guy doesnt have it--rather its just he a stock every day over the counter rifle & stumbled on a good load straight away with the most common bullet off the shelf...& he can shoot from a car.

Sorry i cant answer your questions...all i can suggest is what i did before...prioritise the end result & make a decision based on that...
If money is the biggest factor, 223...
If money is the least of worries...243...
For a compromise not so great in the wind go 204...(assuming youre not commercial)
Or...
For a compromise thats a little better in the wind, 22-250...

Or if you have time & money to invest, get onto Marksman for tips & advice on one of those fancy custom chambered Flashy Dasher's...id like to try that one on for size... :thumbsup: :clap:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 10 Jul 2019, 1:05 am

IF... and I mean IF... You are a decent shot, 1MOA or better then you will never need anything more than a .223R to shot a Roo. Hopefully you can do it with 100% head shots up to the legal limit of 200m. If you can't then go back and learn how to shoot.

22-250 or like .243W is just overkill. In my view, I will never own a 22-250 as they are really far worse than a .243W as being a "Barrel Burner" and less accurate. I shoot a .243W in 300m Competition with 90gr bullets but short range 200m accuracy shines with around 70gr bullets.... that is something a 22-250 can't do unless your have a custom twist barrel.

Point being, you will do everything you want and cheaper plus just as accurate with a .223R than you will do with a 22-250.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Jul 2019, 6:54 am

G'day RooFarmer mate I run a 22-250 sako 85 I've had it for a few years now I've only ever used 55gr vmax once I worked a load up for it the barrel is stainless and has 3400 down the barrel plus a few undocumented shots so I would comfortably say 3500 shots it started of shooting bug holes and is still shooting 12-14mm groups no flyers as yet I have a 4-12x50 ziess Duralyte on top plenty for me for what I do also I only run 31.6gr of Benchmark 2 it's the min in the ADI powders book and still get 3415fps as well I've looked after the barrel by cleaning regularly I wish now I had put a scope on it that had etched reticle or had ballistic turrets because with my eye sight it would be easier for longer shots with hold over and such, the reason I say that I have a Swarovski z3 with etched reticle and it's easier on long shots not trying to judge the 1'' high-3'' high with the straight plex system once you learn how to use one it's good I've found the only extra cost to the 223 and the 22-250 is bass for the 223 is a little cheaper than the 22-250 and the 22-250 takes a little more powder the barrel life in the 223 is better than the 22-250 I have no doubt that if you practice with the 223 or the 22-250 you would be capable of pulling shots out yonder but the 22-250 does have legs and shoots flatter at longer distance than the 223 which is a plus but both rounds are quiet capable if used to its potential both are affected by wind at long distance so that is one area to be mindful of most of the roo shooters around here use 223 and carry a second rifle with ballistic turrets on the scope for long shots for when the roos are shot shy but they rarely use it as they don't like taking too long of a shot as a miss would be a loss of income so they try and get closer to them maybe a second pass by that night rather than shoot on the first sighting hope this can help you in some way :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 10 Jul 2019, 7:45 am

duncan61 wrote:Totally agree with you stix I have been around the 22/250 in the hands of good operators it has a lot more reach than 223/222

Sorry Duncsn...
I didnt see this until now--i saw you had replied but didnt look--i have my own blocking mechanism...well...sometimes...lol...

I keep doing a double-take like i have a twitch..
Lol
:thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 Jul 2019, 8:33 am

Mark wrote:In regards to the OP's original Question. No need for a different rifle, just target them @ night.

Yeah, go the 222 ! :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Jul 2019, 11:22 am

Roo farmer wrote:

IMHO I would go the 22-250 with a 1 in 8" twist and shoot them with 80gr bergers how ever far out it is
I know there is a recommendation of 200m but if you have to get them out of the paddock this would be very capable
it would mean rebarreling a doner as the 22-250 usually comes in 1 in 14" twist

I would also recommend a 22 dasher with a 1 in 8" twist although I dont think you really want to go down that path
the 250 with a faster twist and heavier pills will do the job out very very far, like a laser :thumbsup:
barrel life is not that bad and it would only be used when you needed the legs, keep your 223 for the 200m
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Mark » 10 Jul 2019, 3:59 pm

bigrich wrote:

Did you read what i said ? i'm not suggesting a .222
Mark
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jul 2019, 4:04 pm

Mark wrote:
bigrich wrote:
One of the culls i recently did, couldn't get within 500m during the day. But under spot light i managed on average 250 dead a night.posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=203249#

BR like's the 222 mate that's what he's talkin about. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 10 Jul 2019, 5:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Mark wrote:
bigrich wrote:
One of the culls i recently did, couldn't get within 500m during the day. But under spot light i managed on average 250 dead a night.posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=203249#

exactly BFS . i like a lot of the classic calibers . 222 probably isn't as efficent as a 22/250 with regards to reach or downrange energy. but it's the most wonderfully least fussy to load for, accurate round i've come across . if 200 metres is the limit for head shots on roos it's doable with a 222 :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jul 2019, 5:28 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Mark wrote:
bigrich wrote:

exactly BFS . i like a lot of the classic calibers . 222 probably isn't as efficent as a 22/250 with regards to reach or downrange energy. but it's the most wonderfully least fussy to load for, accurate round i've come across . if 200 metres is the limit for head shots on roos it's doable with a 222 :thumbsup:

Yep it's a ripper little cal alright, I have a 223 and don't use it at all, I do use my 222 though :D mild on the ears and just a pleasure to use - long live the Deuce I say. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mark » 10 Jul 2019, 7:28 pm

Lol i'm a bit defensive about .222 when ya rock up to a farm & old mate says i have 3000 rounds of brand X.
The .222 rem is one of only a few that will just shoot regardless ! :thumbsup:
Mark
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jul 2019, 7:43 pm

Mark wrote:Lol i'm a bit defensive about .222 when ya rock up to a farm & old mate says i have 3000 rounds of brand X.
The .222 rem is one of only a few that will just shoot regardless ! :thumbsup:

Hard to beat the 222 for a general purpose cal on the varmints. My CMC Mountaineer was the first CF in 222 and I still have it and use it often, it just shoots without fuss year in and year out. Sorted out many roos and foxes and all manner of other ferals with it over the years. :drinks:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Roo farmer » 10 Jul 2019, 8:51 pm

Stix wrote:Are you looking for a magic outfit Roo Farmer...?

Yes! That's what I am looking for. Not asking much, am I? Haha.

Stix wrote:Sorry i cant answer your questions...all i can suggest is what i did before...prioritise the end result & make a decision based on that...
If money is the biggest factor, 223...
If money is the least of worries...243...
For a compromise not so great in the wind go 204...(assuming youre not commercial)
Or...
For a compromise thats a little better in the wind, 22-250...

Yes, thankyou for the suggestions, and to everyone else that has offered suggestions. (Assume that I am commercial, because I am)

Stix wrote:Or if you have time & money to invest, get onto Marksman for tips & advice on one of those fancy custom chambered Flashy Dasher's...id like to try that one on for size... :thumbsup: :clap:

Not much money and not much time either unfortunately!
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Roo farmer » 10 Jul 2019, 8:55 pm

Apollo wrote:IF... and I mean IF... You are a decent shot, 1MOA or better then you will never need anything more than a .223R to shot a Roo. Hopefully you can do it with 100% head shots up to the legal limit of 200m. If you can't then go back and learn how to shoot.

Yes, I need to learn how to shoot. Which is why I started this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10683

I got some useful tips, but it's something that I still struggle with. If you have any tips or would like to come and teach me, feel free!
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bill » 10 Jul 2019, 9:10 pm

xDom wrote:I know this is slightly off topic.. As a general discussion, do you think the head shot rule is a bit stupid?

if you cant shoot a roo in the head out to 250m then you need to be questioning your choice of job. 6mm 250 or 6mm creedmoor a better option that 22-250 which will scare everything into a steady hop
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 10 Jul 2019, 9:16 pm

marksman wrote:
Roo farmer wrote:

IMHO I would go the 22-250 with a 1 in 8" twist and shoot them with 80gr bergers how ever far out it is
I know there is a recommendation of 200m but if you have to get them out of the paddock this would be very capable
it would mean rebarreling a doner as the 22-250 usually comes in 1 in 14" twist

I would also recommend a 22 dasher with a 1 in 8" twist although I dont think you really want to go down that path
the 250 with a faster twist and heavier pills will do the job out very very far, like a laser :thumbsup:
barrel life is not that bad and it would only be used when you needed the legs, keep your 223 for the 200m

fast twist barrels and roo's is a disaster mate, spin rate and the rotational devastation mean punters will be chewing lead or copper, actually they wont be because the carcass will be reject and youve just f***ed a 1/4 of your load for the nite
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles