223 vs 22-250 for roos

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 223 vs 22-250 for roos

Post by xDom » 28 Jun 2019, 4:32 pm

This is an extract from Sporting Shooter.

“...HEAD SHOOTING

Anthromorphism, has, I believe also led to the Parks and Wildlife Service mandating head shooting for kangaroos.

Why does the standard call for a head shot to guarantee an immediate and painless death, when other animals are often treated in a less than humane manner by Parks and Wildlife? For example, animals receiving doses of none-to-selective poison often die slow lingering deaths.

While generally achievable, my concern with the brain shot standard is that it is a small target and, as such, offers a high margin for error. Misjudge the wind, or have it shift on you at the last moment, pull a shot, or shiver at the wrong moment on a cold night, and the kangaroo may suffer an awful, lingering death with a broken jaw.

Shooters have a moral, and legal, obligation to follow up all injured animals. However, a shooter may under some circumstances anticipate that he missed the animal completely, find himself in a position where it may not be feasible to follow up a wounded animal, or find himself in a position where the animal has eluded him. One example of this is to be found in my blog about trespassing.

Rather than rely on the ‘immediate, painless death’ provided by the brain shot that shall hopefully destroy the brain and central nervous system, I would have thought that, on balance, a heart-lung shot destroying either or both the respiratory and cardiovascular systems and resulting in few animals surviving longer than a few hops would be a more desirable target.

Having said that, if the rules allowed this, I think more powerful rounds should be mandated for chest shots.

Unfortunately, reason does not prevail here. Shoot a kangaroo with a heart-lung shot and you risk prosecution. There has been a case in Queensland where the application of a tag has enabled the tracking of a carcass of a body shot kangaroo that had been delivered to a dealer.

Cases that I have dealt with where people have been convicted of shooting wildlife have been dealt with quite harshly by the Court. “

Read more at http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/news/ ... 0yugsMc.99
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Jun 2019, 4:43 pm

blade you have to understand the way the greenysadfarkerdumbasdogsh!t thinks
they get there way by chipping away at something and they know they will not get it all in one bite but keep chipping away at it and you get a fair bit after a while
they do want headshots and a Code of practice bought in before you can get a licence
that's why there is a push to have a practical part in getting your firearms licence and has been for a while, if you cant hit the target you dont get a licence
and just have a good think for a minute on what club is all for it and have been quietly promoting it for a while, in the name of firearm safety
as long as you do it at there club and pay them for the privilege, I bet you know who I'm talking about :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by flutch » 28 Jun 2019, 4:58 pm

xDom wrote:While generally achievable, my concern with the brain shot standard is that it is a small target and, as such, offers a high margin for error. Misjudge the wind, or have it shift on you at the last moment, pull a shot, or shiver at the wrong moment on a cold night, and the kangaroo may suffer an awful, lingering death with a broken jaw.

STRONGLY disagree with this, my many years experience tells me you either hit it enough that its at least going down, or its dead, on the other side, cant get the shot dont take the shot. its really not a hard thing to do, more chance of the animal f***ing off wounded from a body shot and suffering needlessly than from any headshot...
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 28 Jun 2019, 5:02 pm

Fair enough, I’m just starting out. I’m interested in all opinions.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2019, 6:14 pm

xDom wrote:Fair enough, I’m just starting out. I’m interested in all opinions.

Many people don't even know that there is a code of practice for 'roo shooters, so any discussion of it is worthwhile.
We have wankers around here that get into the pine plantations at night and shoot 'roos occasionally.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Jun 2019, 7:19 pm

I don't know how the other states operate but up here the head shooting code was brought in to keep the standards up on killing many animals at one time also to keep a standard of clean animal carcasses by not letting blood shot carcasses entering the industry this kept the industry clean also it was to keep and prove that shooters were doing the right thing and those that didn't would be dealt with by refusal of taking their roos shot too far below the head so it was in the shooters interest to head shoot also the code let it be that a shooter could be prosecuted if found breaching the ethical standards there in keeping the animal liberationists happy there has to be a standard when developing an industry where there are many different people involved in harvesting live animals for human consumption or not for humans Shooting ferals is a different thing but still you can be charged if proved for not killing a feral ethically and the animal suffers but the rules change for non commercial killing of animals as heart and lung shots are factored in as part of the ethical side of it as the animal dies quickly but not as quick as a head shot but the big factor is it will die not left injured there will always be an instance where there is a bad shot with heart/lung shots and the animal will need a second shot but with nearly all head shots are hit or miss leaving the animal free or dead in an instance there is a minute chance of maiming the animal I have no problem with the commercial and domestic differences with dispatching animals ethically common sense tells you that industries have to be regulated to keep animal welfare ethics alive and quality control at its best
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Jun 2019, 8:07 pm

Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:What about a 22 or 6mmBR, they are lots of fun to shoot and very accurate.

Or the mighty 204 Ruger. Flat, fast and devistating.

Nah not the best choice for roos (doable but a little marginal I find at times) I actually find the 222 a better killer of roos than the 204 I guess the 50gn v 40gn makes a bit more difference more so than velocity in this case. :unknown:

Sorry bigfella...forgive me, but i csnt help but ask...How do you get a "marginally dead roo" at times...? :unknown:
:lol:
Seriously...thats fukn funny man...!! :lol: :lol:
:drinks:
If they're not dead, you're not hitting them in the right spot. :thumbsup:

The 40gr out of 204 is an emphatic kill out to 200--given shot placement...

However, with a small bullet out that far, i only shoot if im comfortable with the wind, & i wait for them to turn side on or look away so i can be sure of putting the bullet into the box... :thumbsup:
(The wait for them to turn is frustrating at times :lol: , but i rather that than have to follow up).

Im not sure what the energy & wind drift difference is from a 22 cal 50 or 55gr, to a 20 cal 40gr out at 200 with standard velocities...but it'd be interesting to know.

Anyone able to put that up...? :unknown:

Flutch is correct--Roo Farmer will need a 22 cal if its pro harvesting... :thumbsup:

Sorry Stix, I know I should bow to your vast years of experience shooting in general and roos in particular mate and your obvious talent behind the rifle is clear for all to see but I can tell you I've seen plenty of em hit with 204 and 222 and 22.250 and 223 and the 204 was the least effective, yes they died soon after but the others seemed to shut them down there and then as a rule, I've seen em with their complete brain sitting next to their heads and still carrying on flipping about, never seen it using any of the other cals and I've seen that many times with the 204, I'd much rather use the others these days (not that I really bother with roos much these days).

Yes I know they are dead but it's like it hasn't fully shut the kill switch off in em for whatever reason, anyway I know which cals I prefer and each to his own, love the 204 for foxes and cats etc and that's pretty much what I use mine for these days. :drinks:

P.S. had a big boar the other day that didn't want to die either, 3 shots in the melon from the 308 at 5m (was about 300kg and 2m long) before it finally stopped wanting to live and that was the final one between the eyes which then entered the heart/lungs going by the frothy bloody that poured out of its mouth.

Some things just don't wanna stop living even when you encourage em to several times :D :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 28 Jun 2019, 10:00 pm

Dont let Stix stir you up.He is a legend.I have never seen drunk writing on a post before but Stix did it on the .17 cleaning rod post.It was hilarious and I am impressed with the guy.Back on topic marginal was using a lever 17 HMR on red roos up north culling.I used to use it near the station house in the holding paddock late at night and pointing away from the buildings.The average range was less than 50 metres and I had a fixed 6x40 that I could see very well at that range and place the pill in the brain never had one get up and get away but I would not do it on western greys they have a heavier bone density.I would of thought the 204 would be good for head shooting roos as I have seen it done with .22 LR enough times
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 28 Jun 2019, 11:20 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:What about a 22 or 6mmBR, they are lots of fun to shoot and very accurate.

Nah not the best choice for roos (doable but a little marginal I find at times) I actually find the 222 a better killer of roos than the 204 I guess the 50gn v 40gn makes a bit more difference more so than velocity in this case. :unknown:

Sorry bigfella...forgive me, but i csnt help but ask...How do you get a "marginally dead roo" at times...? :unknown:

However, with a small bullet out that far, i only shoot if im comfortable with the wind, & i wait for them to turn side on or look away so i can be sure of putting the bullet into the box... :thumbsup:
(The wait for them to turn is frustrating at times :lol: , but i rather that than have to follow up).

Im not sure what the energy & wind drift difference is from a 22 cal 50 or 55gr, to a 20 cal 40gr out at 200 with standard velocities...but it'd be interesting to know.

Flutch is correct--Roo Farmer will need a 22 cal if its pro harvesting... :thumbsup:

Sorry Stix, I know I should bow to your vast years of experience shooting in general and roos in particular mate and your obvious talent behind the rifle is clear for all to see but I can tell you I've seen plenty of em hit with 204 and 222 and 22.250 and 223 and the 204 was the least effective, yes they died soon after but the others seemed to shut them down there and then as a rule, I've seen em with their complete brain sitting next to their heads and still carrying on flipping about, never seen it using any of the other cals and I've seen that many times with the 204, I'd much rather use the others these days (not that I really bother with roos much these days).

Yes I know they are dead but it's like it hasn't fully shut the kill switch off in em for whatever reason, anyway I know which cals I prefer and each to his own, love the 204 for foxes and cats etc and that's pretty much what I use mine for these days. :drinks:

P.S. had a big boar the other day that didn't want to die either, 3 shots in the melon from the 308 at 5m (was about 300kg and 2m long) before it finally stopped wanting to live and that was the final one between the eyes which then entered the heart/lungs going by the frothy bloody that poured out of its mouth.

Some things just don't wanna stop living even when you encourage em to several times :D :unknown:

Yep...righto bigfella...no worries... :thumbsup:

Didnt mean it the way you took it..id happily take the piss out of myself if i said it....ah well you get that... :unknown:

I didnt think id have to explain it, but i get what you mean--infact ive experienced it my entire life, as most of us shooters who are honest have...but the reality is, if a bullet hits the right spot, yes even a small 40gn bullet out of a 204 at 220 yds, there is no delay in death...period...!

If you're getting many roos flipping about & not dying instantly from your 204, may i suggest you sight check the rifle... :unknown:
I had that on my last outing with my blasted 22-250, (although they werent flipping about, they were just down & out but not dead), so after the 3rd one, i put it away & shot the rest of the night with the back-up rifle & didnt have an issue... :thumbsup:
Upon checking it next day, sure enough POI had changed...common sense really.

And i dont think im gods gift, infact ive only just started shooting them (roos) under a contract, but i have confidence in the shots i take because i dont push my boundaries... if im not entirely confident of the shot, i just dont take it--i dont let anything get in the way of that--especially not ego...& anything much beyond 150 yds & im either out over the bonnet or in the tray over the roof following the bullet into the brain box mate...im not the cowboy you & your pro roo shooter mate here makes himself out to be... :D

And if you are seriously going to try to convice me you put 3 X 30 cal copper jacketed bullets into the brain of roo at as good as muzzle velocity & it was still alive, id suggest saving your words for convicing your mate duncan of such utterly ridiculous immortal zombie type fiction... :thumbsup:

By the way...if the roo was leaking frothing blood out its mouth, its most likely a lung shot mate...and being so close for finishing shots, you should hold over one-n-a-half inches or so...or better still...be sensible about it & carry a rimfire if youre not willing to finish it with a knife or instant blunt force...:thumbsup:

And Duncan, amazing zen type use of the force skills there...im truely in awe of you being able to tell when ive consumed alcohol...even when i dont...!! :clap:
And thanks so much for your kind words, its ironic you mention alcohol, cos i was just just thinking how id wuv de'Av a beer wif duncan, cuth dincan'th me mayte... :drinks:
But i understand you're too busy for a beer cos you're probably fetching more tissues for the big fella... :lol:

:D :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jun 2019, 12:16 am

LOL good stuff.The 3 shot thing was on a pig.I am going to find the 17 post
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jun 2019, 12:19 am

found it
t eill fit the 17 & 20 csl brushes--they have a smsller thread.

But if you want to use (for example) the 17 rod with a 22 brush for sny of your 22's, you need the 17a adapter.

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jun 2019, 12:25 am

Again I have never seen drunk writing and I am laughing my head off.If you read it it sounds under the influence.I am sure you mentioned drinking at about 8.00 and this was posted 3 hrs later.Its all good fun.I am 58 and 2 full strength beers and the pain has gone away.good luck with the contract shooting If I could sell a carcass I would still do it a few times a year.Who buys them where you are.Macro???
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jun 2019, 7:03 am

Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Yep...righto bigfella...no worries... :thumbsup:

Didnt mean it the way you took it..id happily take the piss out of myself if i said it....ah well you get that... :unknown:

I didnt think id have to explain it, but i get what you mean--infact ive experienced it my entire life, as most of us shooters who are honest have...but the reality is, if a bullet hits the right spot, yes even a small 40gn bullet out of a 204 at 220 yds, there is no delay in death...period...!

If you're getting many roos flipping about & not dying instantly from your 204, may i suggest you sight check the rifle... :unknown:
I had that on my last outing with my blasted 22-250, (although they werent flipping about, they were just down & out but not dead), so after the 3rd one, i put it away & shot the rest of the night with the back-up rifle & didnt have an issue... :thumbsup:
Upon checking it next day, sure enough POI had changed...common sense really.

And i dont think im gods gift, infact ive only just started shooting them (roos) under a contract, but i have confidence in the shots i take because i dont push my boundaries... if im not entirely confident of the shot, i just dont take it--i dont let anything get in the way of that--especially not ego...& anything much beyond 150 yds & im either out over the bonnet or in the tray over the roof following the bullet into the brain box mate...im not the cowboy you & your pro roo shooter mate here makes himself out to be... :D

And if you are seriously going to try to convice me you put 3 X 30 cal copper jacketed bullets into the brain of roo at as good as muzzle velocity & it was still alive, id suggest saving your words for convicing your mate duncan of such utterly ridiculous immortal zombie type fiction... :thumbsup:

By the way...if the roo was leaking frothing blood out its mouth, its most likely a lung shot mate...and being so close for finishing shots, you should hold over one-n-a-half inches or so...or better still...be sensible about it & carry a rimfire if youre not willing to finish it with a knife or instant blunt force...:thumbsup:

And Duncan, amazing zen type use of the force skills there...im truely in awe of you being able to tell when ive consumed alcohol...even when i dont...!! :clap:
And thanks so much for your kind words, its ironic you mention alcohol, cos i was just just thinking how id wuv de'Av a beer wif duncan, cuth dincan'th me mayte... :drinks:
But i understand you're too busy for a beer cos you're probably fetching more tissues for the big fella... :lol:

:D :drinks:

Their brains are quite literally sitting next to them on the ground (they have been shot straight between the eyes), again it's like they don't know they are dead, their bodies flip around for say 10sec or so before it finally realises it's done, I've never seen anything like it TBH certainly not when they are headshot and clearly they should be completely motionless considering their brains are on the ground completely intact (like someone scooped it out with an ice cream scoop type thing.

ETTO but I will stick with the 22cal CF's on em. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jun 2019, 7:05 am

duncan61 wrote:Again I have never seen drunk writing and I am laughing my head off.If you read it it sounds under the influence.I am sure you mentioned drinking at about 8.00 and this was posted 3 hrs later.Its all good fun.I am 58 and 2 full strength beers and the pain has gone away.good luck with the contract shooting If I could sell a carcass I would still do it a few times a year.Who buys them where you are.Macro???

Yep completely pissed by the sounds of it :lol: Apparently the pig I had to put down was a roo :lol:

Someone take his keyboard hunting license of him quickly :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Roo farmer » 29 Jun 2019, 7:28 pm

Roo farmer wrote:Obviously the 223 is widely regarded as the standard for roo shooting, and that's what I'm using now. The roos I'm stuck with at the moment are pretty wild and it's difficult to get close to them. Head shots are the only option to comply with the regulations.

So for a bit more reach, is it worth going for a 22-250? Does the extra noise scare the roos more anyway? How much shorter would the expected barrel life be?

Pros -
A bit more range and slightly flatter trajectory.

Cons -
Louder
Slightly more powder
Shorter barrel life

Is it worth it?

Anyone else been through the same process?

Anything else to consider?

I have a 243 but it costs too much per shot for roos. We're talking thousands of shots per year.

Okay, so it's been an interesting discussion so far.

But, regardless of the code of practice, which may or may not be regarded as stupid, I don't know how far away the roos are. Yes, it says out to 200 metres, but I don't carry a tape measure because they don't stand there long enough for me to measure anyway, so I have no way of knowing. All I know, is that I sight in my 223 at about 1" to 1-1/2" high at 100 metres, but I find that I am hitting some roos lower than I would like.

Yes, they are the over disturbed ones that have seen shooting many times, but they are repeatedly coming back into the same crop paddocks and have to be dealt with.

Suggestions of a 204 are appreciated, but I never see cheap projectiles for sale for the 204. Correct me if I'm wrong? Also it's for harvesting for human consumption, so I would have to check the current rules in the code. Hence my thought of going for the 22-250, same cheap bulk 22 cal 55 grain soft points that I run in the 223, just with a bit more powder to push them.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jun 2019, 9:53 pm

Go the 22/250 RF, it will sort those longer shots out no worries at all. :thumbsup: What projectile do you use on the hoppers?

I love the bulk Sierra Super Roos, they are brilliant for the skippies hence the name and I was getting them for $110 a 1000 so cheap too. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Jun 2019, 11:26 pm

You can get 32 grain ZMax for a 204 for around $90 per 500. I prefer the 39 grain Blitzkings for around 40c each or the 39 grain Speer TNT for around 27c a pop.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2019, 1:10 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You can get 32 grain ZMax for a 204 for around $90 per 500. I prefer the 39 grain Blitzkings for around 40c each or the 39 grain Speer TNT for around 27c a pop.

$110 last time I bought the 32gn ZMax, great bullet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 30 Jun 2019, 5:34 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Go the 22/250 RF, it will sort those longer shots out no worries at all. :thumbsup: What projectile do you use on the hoppers?

I love the bulk Sierra Super Roos, they are brilliant for the skippies hence the name and I was getting them for $110 a 1000 so cheap too. :drinks:

Yeah I'm using the Sierra super roos, because they are cheap. The price in South Australian gun shops varies from $220 to $250 per 1000. I buy them from Queensland and get them posted to my door for about $150 per 1000. So dearer than what you get them for, but cheaper than the gun shops that I still have to drive 300km to will sell them to me. Shouldn't be possible, should it? SA dollars are pretty under valued when it comes to buying anything gun related.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jun 2019, 6:19 pm

Roo farmer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Go the 22/250 RF, it will sort those longer shots out no worries at all. :thumbsup: What projectile do you use on the hoppers?

Yeah I'm using the Sierra super roos, because they are cheap. The price in South Australian gun shops varies from $220 to $250 per 1000. I buy them from Queensland and get them posted to my door for about $150 per 1000. So dearer than what you get them for, but cheaper than the gun shops that I still have to drive 300km to will sell them to me. Shouldn't be possible, should it? SA dollars are pretty under valued when it comes to buying anything gun related.

They are one of my favourite projectiles alright, I can't believe how much they are charging for them in SA. I think Hornady do a bulk pack projectile which I think is a little cheaper, might be worth investigating. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by xDom » 30 Jun 2019, 6:57 pm

I thought it wasn’t legally possible to buy rounds online or get them posted?!?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2019, 7:01 pm

xDom wrote:I thought it wasn’t legally possible to buy rounds online or get them posted?!?

You can't have them posted, but you can have them couriered by TNT, I got a bunch of ammo from Rebels last week.
Or are you confusing "rounds" for bullets? Bullets can be posted just fine.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 30 Jun 2019, 7:07 pm

Nah, I meant live rounds. I might have to look into this.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 30 Jun 2019, 7:09 pm

xDom wrote:I thought it wasn’t legally possible to buy rounds online or get them posted?!?

We're talking projectiles only here. Pointy lumps of lead.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2019, 7:12 pm

xDom wrote:Nah, I meant live rounds. I might have to look into this.

Rebels charge a flat $60 fee for Dangerous Goods freight to me here in country Victoria.
I wouldn't bother if it's something your dealer can get for you. I order a few boxes of different .22LR ammo for testing and I don't want to mess my dealer around ordering from several distributors that probably require him to order a minimum brick of each that he might never sell.
Rebels said this time that they can no longer deliver to the TNT depot so they need a business address. I think the farm is a business address but I didn't want to push it so I had it delivered to my dealer.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2019, 7:13 pm

Roo farmer wrote:

We're talking projectiles only here. Pointy lumps of lead.

Commonly known by the people that manufacture them as bullets :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 30 Jun 2019, 7:16 pm

bigfellascott wrote:They are one of my favourite projectiles alright, I can't believe how much they are charging for them in SA. I think Hornady do a bulk pack projectile which I think is a little cheaper, might be worth investigating. :drinks:

Yes, they are even cheaper still. But, they come in a 6000 pack. I haven't tried them in case I just can't get my rifle to like them, and then would be stuck with them, negating any savings. I don't know if this is a relevant concern or not. One of the best things about the Sierra super roos is the boat tail, as far as I know the Hornady ones don't have a boat tail, and they also have the crimp groove which I have been told can make things a bit finicky. I don't know if this is a relevant concern either.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2019, 7:44 pm

Roo farmer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:They are one of my favourite projectiles alright, I can't believe how much they are charging for them in SA. I think Hornady do a bulk pack projectile which I think is a little cheaper, might be worth investigating. :drinks:

Yes, they are even cheaper still. But, they come in a 6000 pack. I haven't tried them in case I just can't get my rifle to like them, and then would be stuck with them, negating any savings. I don't know if this is a relevant concern or not. One of the best things about the Sierra super roos is the boat tail, as far as I know the Hornady ones don't have a boat tail, and they also have the crimp groove which I have been told can make things a bit finicky. I don't know if this is a relevant concern either.

I think it's the RooMax which you can also buy in a 600 pack.
Attachments
RooMax.JPG
RooMax.JPG (32.61 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
Hornady SP.JPG
Hornady SP.JPG (41.59 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 30 Jun 2019, 9:39 pm

Roo farmer wrote:

The boat tail is only for longer distance greater than 300 yrds it reduces drag. Flat bottom bullets actually normally shoot more accurately out to 300 yrds. You will find most 100-300 yrd Bench resters use flat bottom bullets. The Longer ranges grater than 600 yards is where the bullet tail comes to its own.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jul 2019, 10:08 pm

sungazer wrote:
Roo farmer wrote:

The boat tail is only for longer distance greater than 300 yrds it reduces drag. Flat bottom bullets actually normally shoot more accurately out to 300 yrds. You will find most 100-300 yrd Bench resters use flat bottom bullets. The Longer ranges grater than 600 yards is where the bullet tail comes to its own.

Just buy the 100pk Game Kings mate, they are the same thing just in a 100pk size :drinks:

I've shot groups with em out of the Howa 22/250 that fit into a 10c piece @200m, so plenty accurate enough for bursting roo heads I reckon :thumbsup:

Note the Product Code No. 1365 which is the same as the 1365K which is on the Super Roo, I think the k might stand for 1000? Not sure but that's my guess. Anyway its the same projectile just in a smaller pack like I said earlier. Also marketed as the Super Bok in Sth Africa and no doubt marketed as other things in different countries too. :thumbsup:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/2 ... 55-gr-sbt/

Sorry SG I just re read your post and you're referring to the Hornady projectiles, no doubt they also do the same thing re smaller pks, it's just a matter of working out what they are, maybe they do something similar to sierra with product code. What you might be able to do is ask around on the different forums and see if someone will send you a few to try out before you commit to buying if they don't come in a smaller pk size? We often do that on AHN and theres usually someone who is willing to help out a fellow shooter. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles