6.5 Sherman. Anyone interested in going in as a group?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

6.5 Sherman. Anyone interested in going in as a group?

Post by Medic » 13 Jul 2019, 7:10 am

Just putting the feelers out there to see if anyone is interested in going in as a group to rent or buy a reamer for 6.5 Sherman through a good gunsmith I trust. Basically it’s a necked down, blown out 270 to 6.5 with a 40* shoulder with more case capacity that has amazing velocity and barrel life shooting 140gr VLDs at 3300+ out of 26” barrels. It by all reports is a real cracker, real efficient, accurate and easily formed load. Sherman now even have their own brass head stamped. I’m really keen and “factory” brass is available. I has it a guess a 6.5-06 AI die would still probably work to bump shoulders back if needed but dies are also available. I think for those wanting more out of the 06 size case this, is, it! If anyone is interested post below, I was gonna get a 7mm rum but I like my 6-06 lightning rod pushing 65gr vmax at 4300... this way I can use the same brass! Ha! Who’s keen? Remember your tax dollars are here to be spent!
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: 6.5 Sherman. Anyone interested in going in as a group?

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jul 2019, 8:36 am

Why not neck down a more modern case like a 270 WSM?

Roy Weatherby necked down a 30/06 to 243, is that similar to what you want to achieve? The 240 Weatherby Magnum.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 13 Jul 2019, 11:36 am

I researched this round quite a while ago and liked it
as you say you can form it with 270 brass, what neck dia are you going for?, no neck turn is .297" I would just get my own reamer at .293" and neck turn,
whidden make custom dies for it, everything is available, it would make a very good long range shooter

I decided to have an entanglement with the 6.5x284 otherwise I would give it thought
good luck with it :drinks: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2019, 2:53 pm

Medic wrote:Just putting the feelers out there to see if anyone is interested in going in as a group to rent or buy a reamer for 6.5 Sherman through a good gunsmith I trust. Basically it’s a necked down, blown out 270 to 6.5 with a 40* shoulder with more case capacity that has amazing velocity and barrel life shooting 140gr VLDs at 3300+ out of 26” barrels. It by all reports is a real cracker, real efficient, accurate and easily formed load. Sherman now even have their own brass head stamped. I’m really keen and “factory” brass is available. I has it a guess a 6.5-06 AI die would still probably work to bump shoulders back if needed but dies are also available. I think for those wanting more out of the 06 size case this, is, it! If anyone is interested post below, I was gonna get a 7mm rum but I like my 6-06 lightning rod pushing 65gr vmax at 4300... this way I can use the same brass! Ha! Who’s keen? Remember your tax dollars are here to be spent!

Reamers aren't all that expensive are they?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 13 Jul 2019, 3:54 pm

about $400-$450 US from shermans web site for reamer and go gauge made from jgs
https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/on ... -headstamp
my 6.5x284 reamer is a jgs reamer and cost $400 AU + post quite a while ago when the dollar was better
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2019, 4:18 pm

marksman wrote:about $400-$450 US from shermans web site for reamer and go gauge made from jgs
https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/on ... -headstamp
my 6.5x284 reamer is a jgs reamer and cost $400 AU + post quite a while ago when the dollar was better

That's about what I expected.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jul 2019, 5:49 pm

The last reamer I bought from PT&G was under $200USD and with postage cost me about $330AUD landed.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2019, 6:03 pm

SCJ429 wrote:The last reamer I bought from PT&G was under $200USD and with postage cost me about $330AUD landed.

Exactly, I would rather spend it and own the reamer than go shares and risk somebody else ruining it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2019, 9:51 am

When I first read this - I thought a decimal place was missing andvop wanted input to some kind of tank lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Supaduke » 15 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm

I too am disappointed it's not a tank.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Stix » 15 Jul 2019, 7:01 pm

Thank god it's not a German tank...

If it were BigRich would be perched on top pinging off his 222 talkin in a German accent...
8-)
:P
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Jul 2019, 4:40 am

Stix wrote:Thank god it's not a German tank...

If it were BigRich would be perched on top pinging off his 222 talkin in a German accent...
8-)

Und vot ist rrrong vith ziss herr stix ?
Anyvun who vants vun of doze Americans tanks is a dumbkoff and sissy
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Jul 2019, 4:45 am

I had considered 6.5-06, as I already have 6.5x55. I think I would try the old 264 win mag for nostalgia sake if I wanted to go faster and flatter. 6.5 Sherman still sounds interesting though. I reckon stix should get one for blasting his zombie wabbits long range

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jul 2019, 1:43 pm

:lol:
:thumbsup:
Good idea BR...a tank...!!!
My bunny property is real big so a big tank will save having to open gates atleast...
But while im happy to get 2 bunnies with one shot... i dont want to get 15 rabbuts with one shot...i dont think the farmer would be happy with big holes left in the ground...!!
I should use your 222... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 16 Jul 2019, 1:48 pm

I suspect his advertised velocities are at the extreme end of the pressure curve, no such thing as a free lunch.

Hard to see the appeal really and I love my 6.5s
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 16 Jul 2019, 3:51 pm

Stix wrote::lol:
My bunny property is real big so a big tank will save having to open gates atleast...
But while im happy to get 2 bunnies with one shot... i dont want to get 15 rabbuts with one shot...i dont think the farmer would be happy with big holes left in the ground...!!

Zee shell crater from zee 88mm gun in my tiger tank will save zee farmers time und muney digging dams . Und zee widdle furry bunnies vill be pre-kooked und skinned

:lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Jul 2019, 3:57 pm

Bill wrote:I suspect his advertised velocities are at the extreme end of the pressure curve, no such thing as a free lunch.

Hard to see the appeal really and I love my 6.5s

I agree. I think a easier cheaper option would be 6.5-06 . Easy to form your own brass. Easy ream job for a smith as well . Unless you want to step up to 264 win mag. Brass is still available off the shelf. The “Sherman “ sounds like a ackley improved version of the 6.5-06. I would still be keen to see how it performs though

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jul 2019, 6:11 pm

bigrich wrote:

Zee shell crater from zee 88mm gun in my tiger tank will save zee farmers time und muney digging dams . Und zee widdle furry bunnies vill be pre-kooked und skinned

:lol: :lol:

And composted... 8-)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jul 2019, 10:18 pm

He’d get a bill from local water utility for an unlicensed catchment lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles