Need advice on first Rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Need advice on first Rifle

Post by AllRoundAussie » 14 Feb 2014, 10:36 am

G'day All,
I'm new to the forum and new to shooting (other than mucking around with a .22 on my uncles farm when I was younger). I recently got a work transfer to the far south-west corner of NSW right near the border/s. I love it out here and I reckon the family and I are gunna throw down roots for good. I've recently jumped through all the hoops, got my picture taken at the RTA and put in my permit to acquire. Which brings me to my question.

I am aiming to do a lot of hunting and would like a rifle that covers the broadest array of game. I am new to the area but from what the locals have told me they mainly hunt Roo, Pigs, Dogs, Foxes, rabbits and jump across the Vic border to shoot goats. Later on after I accrue a little experience am also interested in going after some bigger game like deer and buffalo.

I understand I will need a few rifles to cover that diverse array of game, my main goal for my first rifle to open up the most hunting opportunities to get out there and have a bit of a go.

I'm thinking of getting a center-fire rifle in either .243WIN or .270WIN... A couple of rifles I have had my eye on are:
Savage Model 10 Trophy Hunter XP which is their package gun
Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Do you guys have any suggestions/advice on whether or not they are good all round calibres and or whether or not they'll suit my needs for a first rifle?

Thanks alot
Any advice is appreciated guys

Kind Regards.
AllRoundAussie
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Need advice on first Rifle

Post by BBJ » 14 Feb 2014, 12:34 pm

G'day mate,

The only thing stand out from what you've mentioned you'll be hunting is buffalo. For that you're going to wan't something with a lot of punch. Just throwing out a few examples, people are typically using something in the range of the 338 win mag, 375 H&H, .416 Rigby and this sort of thing.

For deer, roos, pigs and dogs these are all going to be massive overkill though. For foxes and rabbits there will be nothing but mist left afterwards.

IMO I'd forget about the buffalo for now. Get a centre fire calibre which will do everything else instead for now and add a dedicated buffalo gun to the safe in due course if it turns out you really want one.

.270 will do the job for you. .308 and 30-06 are both effective options too for all of the above (excluding buffalo)
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Old Fart » 14 Feb 2014, 12:49 pm

A .243 would do you for hunting foxes, dogs and rabbits no problem. The same for the smaller species of deer.

For big pigs (this skin, lots of bone) it's on the light side though. The same for the potentially big deer like Red deer and more so Sambar.

Like BBJ said, .270, .308 or 30-06 would all get the job done. If you're not going after the bigger stuff straight away I'd start off on one of the smaller calibres. There's nothing wrong with .270 is that's what you've got in mind already and there's not point shooting a 30-06 is you're mostly going to be our for foxes, rabbits, dogs and modest size pigs.

.270 is certainly a sensible option.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hatter » 14 Feb 2014, 12:52 pm

On the subject of the .243, be aware there are minimum legal calibre requirements for deer.

I'm pressure sure .243 is too small for a few of them in NSW and Victoria. One of the guys can tell you for sure.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 14 Feb 2014, 1:05 pm

For when you just across the border Victoria requires the following for deer hunting.

Chital, Fallow, Hog minimum = .243 with 85gr projectile.
Sambar, Rusa, Red minimum = .270 with 130gr projectile.

So there's that. I'm 90% sure it's the same in NSW too...
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 14 Feb 2014, 1:20 pm

NSW laws are the same as stated above for Victoria (according to NSW DPI website).

Rules out the .243 for you I guess. .270 is good. The trusty old .308 would do the business as well. You can't really go wrong with either.

On rifles, I've got the Savage 10 Trophy Hunter like you're looking at and I rate it well. Mines chambered in 30-06 but that's because I already had a .204 Ruger for Varmints so went with a bigger calibre. A balance between the two would be good for your first rifle, and will do everything you want anyway...
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Herdsman » 14 Feb 2014, 1:25 pm

Ruger, nah... Get yourself a Tikka ;)
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by beerhog » 15 Feb 2014, 8:56 am

For what you have listed as the species you want to hunt now I would suggest a 223 as a good first rifle. Cheap ammo, mild recoil and report and plenty of grunt for everything listed except maybe big pigs but pick your shots and you'll be right.

When you have more experience and feel ready to hunt deer or other larger game then get something bigger such as 308 or 30 06 that will do the job more effectively.

There is no point in buying a one size fits all calibre because there's really no such thing, the big cals will leave un inedible mess on small game and smaller will be marginal to downright useless on bigger game.

Besides all that you will want more guns eventually, it is an unavoidable addiction once you start.
beerhog
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 15 Feb 2014, 2:23 pm

.223 is definitely a fine starting calibre for all the reasons beerhog look at above.

Since you say "first" rifle I'll assume you're planning to get another or two down the road. That being the case, you might plan for something like a .223 for now for your foxes, rabbits, dogs, etc.

Then get a .270 or .308 etc. as your game rifle once you're a more competent shooter and will be expanding activities.

Like beer said, in a sense the .270, .308 etc. can be used as a "do it all rifle" except that for all the smaller stuff you'll be turning your targets to soup, shooting more expensive ammo than needed, and living with the recoil. Overkill for most...

Fill your safe with a .223, a .270 (and a buffalo gun if you get to that point) and your set.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AllRoundAussie » 22 Feb 2014, 5:30 pm

Hi Fellas,
Thanks for all the advice... I think I am going to end up with several rifles, a .223 for the smaller stuff and a .308 for the larger game. I went to the range and talked to a couple of blokes who had different calibers, after talking to them for about 10 mins they let me have a go of their rifles. One was a Ruger American that the guy had just bought in .243, another bloke had a Savage Weather in .308 and the same bloke had a tikka in .223. It really helped me make up my mind, I loved shooting the .243 low recoil etc etc but I think it would be a pointless addition if I had a .223 for small to medium game and a .308 for larger stuff.
AllRoundAussie
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 22 Feb 2014, 8:31 pm

Everyone ends up with several rifles.

"I'm only ever going to get one rifle" everyone says.

bulls**t :lol:
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 3030scotty » 15 Apr 2014, 9:27 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and reading through the threads and you have also helped me decide on my next rifle. It will also be a .223 rem just wanted to say thanks for all the info!
3030scotty
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 15 Apr 2014, 9:34 pm

Welcome Scotty.

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Wobble » 15 Apr 2014, 9:35 pm

G'day Scotty.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Old Fart » 15 Apr 2014, 9:39 pm

3030scotty wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and reading through the threads and you have also helped me decide on my next rifle. It will also be a .223 rem just wanted to say thanks for all the info!

Got a 30-30 already obviously?
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by tassie223 » 15 Apr 2014, 10:55 pm

Mate , a good start is a 7/08 , it leaves room down the scale and up . Low recoil , hits hard , legal for any deer . Its abit big for some of the things you list but a good start.
tassie223
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Westy » 16 Apr 2014, 7:14 am

BBJ wrote:G'day mate,

The only thing stand out from what you've mentioned you'll be hunting is buffalo. For that you're going to wan't something with a lot of punch. Just throwing out a few examples, people are typically using something in the range of the 338 win mag, 375 H&H, .416 Rigby and this sort of thing.

For deer, roos, pigs and dogs these are all going to be massive overkill though. For foxes and rabbits there will be nothing but mist left afterwards.

IMO I'd forget about the buffalo for now. Get a centre fire calibre which will do everything else instead for now and add a dedicated buffalo gun to the safe in due course if it turns out you really want one.

.270 will do the job for you. .308 and 30-06 are both effective options too for all of the above (excluding buffalo)

Look I just gotta ask this, the old man was using a 303 to shoot Buff in the territory all through the 50-60's and we were using them in the late 70's so why wouldn't a 308 or a 30-06 work now? :?: :?: :?:

Ohh yer and we were using FMJ's.
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1sikxt » 16 Apr 2014, 8:27 pm

If you wanted instead of 308 and 270 maybe look at the 30-06 as it handles the 200-220gr bullets a bit better
Howa 204 varmint
Anschütz 1530 222
Savage 12 223
Weatherby 22-250
Savage custom 10 243
Savage 10 308
Savage 12 308
Savage 110 338 lap fcp
Lithgow 22
Brno 1 22
Webley and scott 12g
1sikxt
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 17 Apr 2014, 10:46 am

One of the things I have noticed over the years with calibre is you would be well served by almost any of these, but as a new hunter try to go with a common one.

Now is choice of action, Savage sells a gun here called the Axis for about 300US, they're well built and won't brake the bank.

Go out and shoulder a few and see what fits and feels good. I could tell you any type of gun but you should try them out as best you can, lots of guys like compact rifles.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by BBJ » 17 Apr 2014, 3:19 pm

Westy wrote:Look I just gotta ask this, the old man was using a 303 to shoot Buff in the territory all through the 50-60's and we were using them in the late 70's so why wouldn't a 308 or a 30-06 work now? :?: :?: :?:

Ohh yer and we were using FMJ's.

You're right, people have and I expect will continue to take them with .30 cal rifles.

Some people also hunt deer with a .22, but it's not something I'll ever advocate as a suitable calibre.

There are 300kg buffalo and there are 1,000kg buffalo. I'm sure we can both come up with lots of hypotheticals and examples which show larger calibres are needed or smaller calibres are sufficient depending on what size animal we're talking about, and go around in circles all day.

As general advice to the OP (which is all my comment is) and when choosing a hunting calibre, I will always go with something that will consistently and humanely take game, and cover the variety of sizes I'm likely to encounter the animals in. Not just what I can get away with.

Quoting my original comment the OP, "IMO I'd forget about the buffalo for now. Get a centre fire calibre which will do everything else instead for now and add a dedicated buffalo gun to the safe in due course if it turns out you really want one."

If I was choosing a new buffalo gun, it would not be chambered in .303, .308 etc.

That's my opinion, though others may disagree.

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Zilla » 17 Apr 2014, 3:25 pm

wrenchman wrote:Savage sells a gun here called the Axis for about 300US, they're well built and won't brake the bank.

Can I ask you what a standard Ruger and Tikka cost in the US there wrench? Just curious.

FYI the Axis sells here for about $600. A Ruger is about $1,000 and a Tikka is about $1,150. Just rough prices.

How does that compare to those in the states?
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Davies » 17 Apr 2014, 3:27 pm

wrenchman wrote:Savage sells a gun here called the Axis for about 300US, they're well built and won't brake the bank.

Australian shooters get booooned on the price of gear here.
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Rakk » 17 Apr 2014, 3:27 pm

Well, you could go live in the US for the gun prices, but then you'd have to live with the rest of the US economy :P
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Browning » 17 Apr 2014, 9:59 pm

Tikka 22-250

Down the track get a 308 and then a shotty....
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 18 Apr 2014, 6:22 am

Ruger is about $600US, Tikka is some where around $800. I have never had a Tikka, I have held them they seem well built.

The economy is bad but many jobs in demand that can't be filled manufacturing has been hit hard and building but mechanics and truck drivers and engineering are just a few.

I am a truck mechanic and we have never slowed down and never stopped hiring and I work over time just about every week.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Westy » 18 Apr 2014, 7:46 am

BBJ wrote:You're right, people have and I expect will continue to take them with .30 cal rifles.

Some people also hunt deer with a .22, but it's not something I'll ever advocate as a suitable calibre.

There are 300kg buffalo and there are 1,000kg buffalo. I'm sure we can both come up with lots of hypotheticals and examples which show larger calibres are needed or smaller calibres are sufficient depending on what size animal we're talking about, and go around in circles all day.

As general advice to the OP (which is all my comment is) and when choosing a hunting calibre, I will always go with something that will consistently and humanely take game, and cover the variety of sizes I'm likely to encounter the animals in. Not just what I can get away with.

Quoting my original comment the OP, "IMO I'd forget about the buffalo for now. Get a centre fire calibre which will do everything else instead for now and add a dedicated buffalo gun to the safe in due course if it turns out you really want one."

If I was choosing a new buffalo gun, it would not be chambered in .303, .308 etc.

That's my opinion, though others may disagree.

Yep, you're right. When the old man was there they tried to head shoot a Big Buff with a 45 pistol. Bad mistake, the buff charged the blitz and rolled it he lost his 2 front teeth and they finished it off with a 303.

I hear what your saying and I hope you hear what I'm saying. A mate of mine has a .460 Weatherby Magnum and the biggest thing he has on his place is fallow deer go figure? Sometimes BIG is not always better! :D :) :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 18 Apr 2014, 7:51 am

Zilla I noticed you have redfield scopes, how do you like them?

I've been thinking of getting one for my sons Ruger, they run about $200 here.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Ken » 18 Apr 2014, 2:55 pm

wrenchman wrote:I am a truck mechanic and we have never slowed down and never stopped hiring and I work over time just about every week.

But not a truck mechanic in Detroit obviously.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Zilla » 18 Apr 2014, 2:58 pm

wrenchman wrote:Zilla I noticed you have redfield scopes, how do you like them?

I've been thinking of getting one for my sons Ruger, they run about $200 here.

For the money, I think they're good.

TBH there are better scopes. Something like a Leupold VX2 or whatever is better, but it's twice the price as well.

Likewise I have looked through a few cheaper Bushnell and Weaver scopes that were a little cheaper, but clarity was a lot worse.

The Redfield's were the right balance which is why I went with them.
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Zilla » 18 Apr 2014, 3:00 pm

Thanks for the price check too, wrenchman.
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles