Need advice on first Rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Need advice on first Rifle

Post by wrenchman » 17 Apr 2014, 10:46 am

One of the things I have noticed over the years with calibre is you would be well served by almost any of these, but as a new hunter try to go with a common one.

Now is choice of action, Savage sells a gun here called the Axis for about 300US, they're well built and won't brake the bank.

Go out and shoulder a few and see what fits and feels good. I could tell you any type of gun but you should try them out as best you can, lots of guys like compact rifles.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by BBJ » 17 Apr 2014, 3:19 pm

Westy wrote:Look I just gotta ask this, the old man was using a 303 to shoot Buff in the territory all through the 50-60's and we were using them in the late 70's so why wouldn't a 308 or a 30-06 work now? :?: :?: :?:

Ohh yer and we were using FMJ's.

You're right, people have and I expect will continue to take them with .30 cal rifles.

Some people also hunt deer with a .22, but it's not something I'll ever advocate as a suitable calibre.

There are 300kg buffalo and there are 1,000kg buffalo. I'm sure we can both come up with lots of hypotheticals and examples which show larger calibres are needed or smaller calibres are sufficient depending on what size animal we're talking about, and go around in circles all day.

As general advice to the OP (which is all my comment is) and when choosing a hunting calibre, I will always go with something that will consistently and humanely take game, and cover the variety of sizes I'm likely to encounter the animals in. Not just what I can get away with.

Quoting my original comment the OP, "IMO I'd forget about the buffalo for now. Get a centre fire calibre which will do everything else instead for now and add a dedicated buffalo gun to the safe in due course if it turns out you really want one."

If I was choosing a new buffalo gun, it would not be chambered in .303, .308 etc.

That's my opinion, though others may disagree.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Zilla » 17 Apr 2014, 3:25 pm

wrenchman wrote:Savage sells a gun here called the Axis for about 300US, they're well built and won't brake the bank.

Can I ask you what a standard Ruger and Tikka cost in the US there wrench? Just curious.

FYI the Axis sells here for about $600. A Ruger is about $1,000 and a Tikka is about $1,150. Just rough prices.

How does that compare to those in the states?
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Davies » 17 Apr 2014, 3:27 pm

wrenchman wrote:Savage sells a gun here called the Axis for about 300US, they're well built and won't brake the bank.

Australian shooters get booooned on the price of gear here.
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Rakk » 17 Apr 2014, 3:27 pm

Well, you could go live in the US for the gun prices, but then you'd have to live with the rest of the US economy :P
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Browning » 17 Apr 2014, 9:59 pm

Tikka 22-250

Down the track get a 308 and then a shotty....
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 18 Apr 2014, 6:22 am

Ruger is about $600US, Tikka is some where around $800. I have never had a Tikka, I have held them they seem well built.

The economy is bad but many jobs in demand that can't be filled manufacturing has been hit hard and building but mechanics and truck drivers and engineering are just a few.

I am a truck mechanic and we have never slowed down and never stopped hiring and I work over time just about every week.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Westy » 18 Apr 2014, 7:46 am

BBJ wrote:You're right, people have and I expect will continue to take them with .30 cal rifles.

Some people also hunt deer with a .22, but it's not something I'll ever advocate as a suitable calibre.

There are 300kg buffalo and there are 1,000kg buffalo. I'm sure we can both come up with lots of hypotheticals and examples which show larger calibres are needed or smaller calibres are sufficient depending on what size animal we're talking about, and go around in circles all day.

As general advice to the OP (which is all my comment is) and when choosing a hunting calibre, I will always go with something that will consistently and humanely take game, and cover the variety of sizes I'm likely to encounter the animals in. Not just what I can get away with.

Quoting my original comment the OP, "IMO I'd forget about the buffalo for now. Get a centre fire calibre which will do everything else instead for now and add a dedicated buffalo gun to the safe in due course if it turns out you really want one."

If I was choosing a new buffalo gun, it would not be chambered in .303, .308 etc.

That's my opinion, though others may disagree.

Yep, you're right. When the old man was there they tried to head shoot a Big Buff with a 45 pistol. Bad mistake, the buff charged the blitz and rolled it he lost his 2 front teeth and they finished it off with a 303.

I hear what your saying and I hope you hear what I'm saying. A mate of mine has a .460 Weatherby Magnum and the biggest thing he has on his place is fallow deer go figure? Sometimes BIG is not always better! :D :) :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 18 Apr 2014, 7:51 am

Zilla I noticed you have redfield scopes, how do you like them?

I've been thinking of getting one for my sons Ruger, they run about $200 here.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Ken » 18 Apr 2014, 2:55 pm

wrenchman wrote:I am a truck mechanic and we have never slowed down and never stopped hiring and I work over time just about every week.

But not a truck mechanic in Detroit obviously.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Zilla » 18 Apr 2014, 2:58 pm

wrenchman wrote:Zilla I noticed you have redfield scopes, how do you like them?

I've been thinking of getting one for my sons Ruger, they run about $200 here.

For the money, I think they're good.

TBH there are better scopes. Something like a Leupold VX2 or whatever is better, but it's twice the price as well.

Likewise I have looked through a few cheaper Bushnell and Weaver scopes that were a little cheaper, but clarity was a lot worse.

The Redfield's were the right balance which is why I went with them.
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Zilla » 18 Apr 2014, 3:00 pm

Thanks for the price check too, wrenchman.
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 18 Apr 2014, 3:39 pm

Westy wrote:Yep, you're right. When the old man was there they tried to head shoot a Big Buff with a 45 pistol. Bad mistake, the buff charged the blitz and rolled it he lost his 2 front teeth and they finished it off with a 303.

I hear what your saying and I hope you hear what I'm saying. A mate of mine has a .460 Weatherby Magnum and the biggest thing he has on his place is fallow deer go figure? Sometimes BIG is not always better! :D :) :D

It doesn't just happen with pistols either. Search for some videos and I guarantee you you'll find guys getting the same result with rifles.

If the shot placement was off or underpowered or whatever, a bull might stumble or drop to the ground. As soon as they get their bearings and realise what happened though... More than a few guys have had to put a second or third shot into a charging buff.

I do hear what you're saying. I didn't just suggest the bigger calibres for the hell of it. Like common sense says, choose the right tool for the job.

You're mates on the other end of the scale obviously. A .460 Weatherby Mag for Fallow is well... stupid frankly :lol:

.243, .7mm, .308 etc. would all do the job with half the recoil at half the cost to shoot.

What can you do though... At the end of the day people will do as they please.

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by inspector » 18 Apr 2014, 3:53 pm

There is that vid of the guy who walks right up to the wounded buff after his first shot.

It charges and takes two put shots to put it down from only 3-4m away.
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 19 Apr 2014, 8:23 am

Ken yes Detroit I live just out side of Detroit and work
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by BBJ » 20 Apr 2014, 7:05 pm

inspector wrote:There is that vid of the guy who walks right up to the wounded buff after his first shot.

It charges and takes two put shots to put it down from only 3-4m away.

I think I know the one.

Just my personal opinion, but if we're talking about the same video I think the guy is a f***ing idiot.

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by inspector » 20 Apr 2014, 7:06 pm

Some adrenaline junking half hoping to get run down I guess...
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 20 Apr 2014, 7:09 pm

Not finishing the animal straight away and letting it suffer so you can have some adrenaline fix and be a cowboy in front of you mates is just BS.

He's welcome to get run down as far as I'm concerned... He can have it.

Anyway, well off topic now so I'll leave it at that.

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles