Running in a New Centrefire.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Running in a New Centrefire.

Post by xDom » 22 Jul 2019, 4:49 am

I’m picking up a brand new 223 this week, Tikka Lite.
I know some have a procedure to run in a new rifle. Ive heard of various methods eg. 5 shots, hoppes 9, dry patch, repeat until 30 rounds have been put through.
I’ve heard others say this is not necessary.
What do you think?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Running in a New Centrefire.

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Jul 2019, 5:04 am

I "run in' a rifle depending on how the rifling was made, cut rifling will leave feathers of metal and chatter marks, so 1 shot, bronze brush, patch, 2nd shot repeat for 5 shots. then 5 shot string and repeat clean. Button rifling, I just shoot, forged rifling depends on mandrel used (1 piece or 2 piece) Lithgow uses a 2 piece so I would do 4 series of 5 shots with a powder clean between each string. I don't use a copper removal solution, I want a coat of copper in the bore. running in is a highly contested idea, with no agreement even among top class barrel makers like Bartlein, Shilen etc, and I do it from an Engineers viewpoint that cut rifling needs it unless the maker laps his barrels, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Jul 2019, 7:56 am

No1Mk3 wrote:I ". I don't use a copper removal solution, I want a coat of copper in the bore. Cheers.

You want copper fouling in the bore? Why? Does your rifle shoot better with copper fouling?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Jul 2019, 8:18 am

As you already know, some swear by it, others don't.

Personally I believe there's a benefit to be had provided your cleaning routine isn't introducing wear.

A smooth finish in your bore will help to keep copper fowling somewhat under control,

In the first handful of shots there'll be plenty of microscopic jagged grains of steel pushed around, broken off and aligned with the direction of travel.
Keeping copper and carbon out of the equation can only be a good thing while the steel is settling in.

You've got nothing to lose other than time and cleaning consumables, and potentially plenty to gain.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 22 Jul 2019, 12:03 pm

I do it regardless.Lots to gain nothing to lose.You are going to try grouping so why not clean as well
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by CAVEMAN » 22 Jul 2019, 5:48 pm

I found 100 rounds of cheap Russian steel cased 7.62/308 and smashed them through, then i considered it broken in. By know means an idea for accuracy but it will definitely sort out function.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 22 Jul 2019, 7:14 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:As you already know, some swear by it, others don't.

Personally I believe there's a benefit to be had provided your cleaning routine isn't introducing wear.

A smooth finish in your bore will help to keep copper fowling somewhat under control,

In the first handful of shots there'll be plenty of microscopic jagged grains of steel pushed around, broken off and aligned with the direction of travel.
Keeping copper and carbon out of the equation can only be a good thing while the steel is settling in.

You've got nothing to lose other than time and cleaning consumables, and potentially plenty to gain.

+1 . i use the method No1mk3 lists first on all my new barrels. with care to "running in" a new barrel , with handloading all my rifles give better than average grouping . so i think there's something in it. after all , when you get a new motor in a car/truck, you run it in to ensure the parts wear in properly or risk pre mature failure due to excessive wear through overheating of parts not "bedded in" . i also try not to overheat my barrels when i can, which also depends on how hot my reloads are . all this care towards my rifles usually ensures reliabillity and consistancy . and keeps my OCD in check :lol: :lol: :lol: JMHO

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jul 2019, 7:20 pm

There was no such thing as "running in" barrels when I started shooting as a kid, my first CF never got "run in" and it's capable of some pretty decent groups when I try, I've run in others and they have been good shooters too, buggered if I know if it really makes any real difference to the average sporting rifle.

I don't really bother doing it anymore - not that will do anything bad to your rifle, just I can't be bothered with all the BS that goes with firearms ownership these days, I just like to keep things simple now.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Jul 2019, 8:20 pm

The Tikka should be easy to run in, shoot one shot then clean out the carbon and with some effective copper solvent clean out any copper. Keep firing one shot and cleaning until the copper decreases. Then fire two or more shots until you see any copper, clean and fire a couple more shots. My last Tikka only took 20 shots before the copper fouling settled.

I use Boretec Cu+ but Pro Shot or Sweets 7.62 also work well. You must remove the copper or your rifle will not shoot to its potential.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by av1 » 22 Jul 2019, 8:35 pm

xDom wrote:I’m picking up a brand new 223 this week, Tikka Lite.
I know some have a procedure to run in a new rifle. Ive heard of various methods eg. 5 shots, hoppes 9, dry patch, repeat until 30 rounds have been put through.
I’ve heard others say this is not necessary.
What do you think?

Hi,
Perhaps this will help, taken from Beretta who distributes Tikka.

DO SAKO AND TIKKA RIFLES NEED TO BE RUN IN?
No. They are famous for their out-of-the-box accuracy. Sako and Tikka rifles have been run in at the Sako factory during proof and accuracy testing. It is good practice however to clean your barrel before firing for the first time as there may be some packing grease in your barrel.
Some bench rest shooters still insist on running the rifle in themselves. While it is not required it is of course not at any detriment to the rifle. Guidelines are as follows:

Whilst sighting in your rifle for the very first time, before firing, clean the inside of the barrel with a cleaning rod and wipe dry with a clean patch until no packing grease is evident, then fire a shot – repeat the clean procedure after every shot for the first 5 shots together with some mild solvent, then clean once after the next 5 shots, then finally clean again after the next 10 shots (20 shots fired). Allow the barrel to cool between groups of shots (if you can't hold the barrel with your bare hand, then it is too hot to shoot – let it cool first).

As Sako and Tikka barrels have been lapped several times at the Sako factory, you will find that your barrel should not foul easily – therefore this running in procedure is not as necessary as with other brands of rifles.

Regards Robert
av1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Jul 2019, 8:51 pm

a quote from Gale Mcmillan

Posted: 09-25-1999 10:10
The break in fad was started by a fellow I helped get started in the barrel business . He started putting a set of break in instructions in ever barrel he
shipped. One came into the shop to be installed and I read it and the next time I saw him I asked him What was with this break in crap?. His answer
was Mac, My share of the market is about 700 barrels a year. I cater to the target crowd and they shoot a barrel about 3000 rounds before they
change it. If each one uses up 100 rounds of each barrel breaking it in you can figure out how many more barrels I will get to make each year. If you
will stop and think that the barrel doesn't know whether you are cleaning it every shot or every 5 shots and if you are removing all foreign material that
has been deposited in it since the last time you cleaned it what more can you do? When I ship a barrel I send a recommendation with it that you clean it
ever chance you get with a brass brush pushed through it at least 12 times with a good solvent and followed by two and only 2 soft patches. This
means if you are a bench rest shooter you clean ever 7 or 8 rounds . If you are a high power shooter you clean it when you come off the line after 20
rounds. If you follow the fad of cleaning every shot for X amount and every 2 shots for X amount and so on the only thing you are accomplishing is
shortening the life of the barrel by the amount of rounds you shot during this process. I always say Monkey see Monkey do, now I will wait on the
flames but before you write them, Please include what you think is happening inside your barrel during break in that is worth the expense and time you
are spending during break in
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... adid=60102

that being put out there I dont believe in breakin regimes myself
but I do believe a barrel can be improved by a run in till it stops coppering if it has a problem eg... burrs that have to be burnt off
the tikka's have a hand lapped barrel and should not need to be run in at all
clean it before shooting and check the muzzle for coppering after the first shot,
if it's not coppering why clean it, but if it is coppering keep cleaning it till it doesn't
if I'm seeing copper I will clean the bore till I dont see the copper for quite a few shots
but if it makes you feel better just do it :unknown: each to their own :drinks:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 22 Jul 2019, 9:42 pm

If you have the time ..........go for it!!
If you dont .................clean it out of the box and shoot it and enjoy it!

More harm is done by inexperienced folk shooting their rifles till the barrel is too hot to touch - sizzling hot.......easiest way to get heat cracks in the throat and ruin the barrel in quick time...

If its too hot to touch - its too hot to shoot - wise words from Brendan Atkinson!!

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles