Another Hornet Victim !

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Another Hornet Victim !

Post by Leadspitter » 29 Jul 2019, 9:32 pm

Yep , I couldn t fight it any longer.

Grabbed a 527 -17 thumbhole today
Machining looks tip top

To all the 17 ackley guys , who have carried the torch , I salute you !
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Another Hornet Victim !

Post by gunnnie » 30 Jul 2019, 9:44 am

Good to see another follower of the Hornet cartridges.
Whilst I have several Hornets & a 17Ackley Hornet, I did toy with the idea of converting my ZKW465 to 17HH but the value of original ZKW's killed that idea. Might look at a CZ down the track.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Leadspitter » 30 Jul 2019, 10:29 am

G day gunnie

This new generation of cz s looks to be cnc machined and my example at least , with sharp cutting tools.

On the flat faces if you look hard enough you see machining marks, uniform throughout ,so good enough.

Barrel is burnished and blued.
Overall the finish is excellent.

That old school polishing and deep bluing along with elegant curvaceous sculpting of receiver and rear sights , is what sets those early rifles above these new ones.

So yeah leave the old girls unmolested.

I 'll be lookin for a 22 hornet soon enough.

If i can pick up a new one cnc finished like this one I 'll grab one.
Problem is , the current 527 22 hornets
An older product line , I have seen, have been cut with dull tools and mating surfaces and bolt face are not what i would accept.
Looks to me that if a bloke wants a good one he' ll have to check each individual rifle.

Which is next to impossible, as few shops have examples on the floor and you ' re probably expected to buy sight unseen .

Maybe the current stock at winchester is "new generation " l 'll have to make enquiries !

I like the idea of a pristine 465 but finding one thats another thing !

All the best , Leadspitter.

Edited . Spelling
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 31 Jul 2019, 8:39 pm

That's it mate. A lot of the rifles I own were bought as originals and will stay that way. The 465 is an iconic rifle and one could arguably say the first mini-Mauser. The later years saw BRNO producing the Fox Model2 series of rifles, but these weren't a patch on the ZKW's. The quality of workmanship wasn't of the same standard with the Fox series.

The Fox series are nice rifles in their own rights too. The stocks had a rosewood fore-end & quite often very nice grain. The two Model 2's I own, Hornet & 222, both have nice wood and do shoot fairly well. But I'm yet to do a lot more load developement with both of them.

I have one current model CZ, a 527 in 222. Its a varmint model and does shoot very well.

It's pleasing to see that, at least with my 527, that the workmanship is getting back to the early days of BRNO.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 31 Jul 2019, 9:03 pm

you will not be disappointed :thumbsup:
welcome to the club :drinks:
my 17 ackley and 22 hornet, also have a 17 ackley on a fox model brno hornet
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 31 Jul 2019, 10:31 pm

Two very nice looking Hornets there marksman!
The 465 has some very nice timber.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Leadspitter » 01 Aug 2019, 5:23 pm

G day guys ,

Gunnie the current cz s still represent good value i guess , the soul has just been ripped out of em by the corporate ethos , if that means anything to ya .

By the way both you and marksman talk i can see it does.

Does your 527 have walnut or stained beech stock ?

I had to buy the varmint thumbhole as that was all i could find,
Its more of a field type thumbhole , slender forearm so not too bad.
Good lookin well finished
If i buy a 527 22 hornet i will probably buy a boyds laminate standard stock , they are nice for what they are.

I don t have the confidence to buy a used golden oldie as i dont have enough experience , though i reckon i would send the stock to marksman for a touch up , he seems to know his way around em !

Good lookin pair of rifles marksman
You blokes don t need to always bag game , just walkin around in the bush with those classics is an event in itself

Marksman , i need rings

I have leupy. 3 -9 x40 ( with picket reticle, i had nioa fit german #1 reticle with windage bars removed )

This rifle has the low profile bolt handle as fitted to the 527 s for the last couple of years, gives better clearance of ocular bell , so scopes can be mounted lower , a design mod in the right direction

So , what rings are you using on that stainless barrel job ?
Is that a 40 mm scope ?

Your rings look like leup'ys , if they are what height are they ?

Any suggestions from both you and gunnie to mount 40 mm scope , nice and low appreciated.

I am hoping tikka ringmouts are the right height
Talley vertical split rings look nice , got em on my 452 22 , but would prefer traditional rings on this beast.

Thanks for the chat and that ring advice .
Leadspitter , out.
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 01 Aug 2019, 6:28 pm

ahh hornet rifles. i like mine , it's crazy accurate , even though it's a rear locking krico . i had a 465 brno some time ago, but it was rebarrelled by someone who didn't know what they were doing and shot like crap so it got moved on . i found a light crimp with slight reduction in powder improved accuracy in mine that little bit more . i have a mate with a 222 fox who's trying to get his set trigger not so light . anyone got any advice on this ? or just adjust by trial and error ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Leadspitter » 01 Aug 2019, 6:56 pm

Bigrich

The current weihrauchs are made on the krico tooling i believe.

The jaeger stock is very nice , problem with the weihrauchs , they are hexy.

I don t reload..........yet!
Lee factory crimp and neck size with lee collet neck sizer

Ppu brass or highland , which is ppu brass , this brass has thickest rim size and tighter headspace means better accuracy , so i hear.

Later.
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 01 Aug 2019, 7:06 pm

bigrich wrote:ahh hornet rifles. i like mine ,... ... ... ...

Who's. ...you like WHO'S Hornet...??!!!!??... :roll:
two timing tart...!!
:evil:
..... :cry:
:lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 01 Aug 2019, 7:08 pm

Leadspitter wrote:Bigrich

The current weihrauchs are made on the krico tooling i believe.

The jaeger stock is very nice , problem with the weihrauchs , they are hexy.

Later.

i spoke with melbourne distributors , alcock and pierce , and was told weihrauch bought out krico. which confirmed my suspicions as my krico bolt is identical to a weihrauch in it's design . the wood grain on my krico is a whole lot nicer than anything i saw on a weihrauch however . it's a 1970's build , drilled and tapped for mounts from the factory and has a adjustable match trigger . it's fitted with a swan heavy barrel (i bought it that way) which doesn't make it as portable , but it makes one hole at 100 :thumbsup:

p.s
in my opinion the weihrauchs are worth the money :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Leadspitter » 01 Aug 2019, 7:47 pm

Youre a bit one eyed on that , besides being a two timing tart.

Bruce , the salesman who served me , is a hornet tragic , has several ackleys and a 22 , suggested that CFE BLK powder made by hodgdon , distributed in oz by winchester , is good gear for the hornets.

CFE , stands for copper fouling eraser , supposed to help reduce copper fouling , particularly for high frequency shooting how much truth is in it i dunno , but i believe ya stix , takes one to know one , so they say.

Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talkin to himself , because of sumthin he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 01 Aug 2019, 7:58 pm

my favorite loads are 12.5 gn of LIL' GUN , win small pistol primers , using rem brass at the moment with sierra "hornet" 40 gn sp's as a hunting load, the 40 gn hp's give outstanding accuracy. both at 2750 fps with a very light crimp . coal is 1.720" for both loads . and stix will never recover from having a crush on my hornet rifle :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 01 Aug 2019, 8:07 pm

There was a time when firearm manufacturers made every effort to turn out a quality product. Something they could honestly sell with pride as a quality firearm. Mass production has to an extent removed that 'personal touch' so to speak. Now a lot of stuff is of a good quality but comparing a current model of mass production to something made back in the 50's will show a marked difference. In this instance a 1958 BRNO ZKW465 as compared to a CZ527 made 8-10yrs ago.

Others may have a different belief, so be it, that is your prerogative.

My CZ has a walnut stock which is of quite passable standard. Though if the opportunity presented for me to secured a nicely figured XX or XXX grade walnut stock, I'd not hesitate at the right price.

Mate, to be honest I'm not certain which mounts would be best. But maybe a lightweight set of Tally alloy rings with a compact style scope in either 3-9x or a fixed 6x or 8x power, would be a nice compliment to your little Hornet.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 01 Aug 2019, 8:12 pm

Leadspitter Prvi Partizan Ammunition is marketed in Australia as Highland and I bought and used 60 rds of .222 and 40 rds of .243 with the intention of having spare brass for reloading and it was excellent ammo and the brass is the best I have ever reloaded it is headstamped PPU in Cryllic.It was and probably still is 2/3 the price of other factory ammo so people may think it inferior but it is not.I have only ever bought 100 Win unprimed brass before in .222 when I first started shooting centrefire rifles so I dont know about Lapau unprimed brass and upmarket stuff like that but have reloaded Federal once fired and all sorts of other brands and the PPU is well anealed and resizes easy and the correct dimensions
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 01 Aug 2019, 8:21 pm

I have reread your post.I thought you were asking which is best
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Leadspitter » 01 Aug 2019, 9:56 pm

Stix still holdin a candle for the old girl eh ?

Most of new stuff these days is all angular and flats as its easier to cnc , imagine if these nerds used a cnc to make a chick , on second thought , don t do that it doesnt bear thinking about.

To be honest my rifle is no lightweight

Dunc, bit of a blonde moment there ?

Easy tiger.
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 01 Aug 2019, 10:14 pm

I jumped the gun a bit there.I am currently polishing some .243 PPU brass as I really rate it
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Leadspitter » 01 Aug 2019, 11:19 pm

Don t sweat it dunc , youre a bit behind us guys in the eastern states.

Just kiddin , I was over in perth from jan 2000 til dec 2015 , willagee , south perth, bicton.

Worked on the mandurah rail line , de sal plant , several swings at murrim
murrin nickel , curtin uni , s**t i even jagged 3 months work on rotto, sparky.

Used to shoot at jarrahdale ssaa and a property at waroona

Used to snorkel for crabs in the swan
Loved the crabs bought from o connor industrial estate
Miss them crabs

Bailed when things crashed

Took 3 months for my PTA (permission to aquire to come thru) so its not all roses over here.

I hear that some US brass has nosedived , farmed out to china , at least serbia has nt sold out.

Leadspitter out.
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 04 Aug 2019, 12:10 pm

I also rate PPU brass, have been using it for over a decade. I'm running it in Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 6.5Swede, 308, 303, 7.62Long & 8mm Mauser.
For the older BRNO Hornets I will only run European brass as the rims are thicker & I find such brass to be of slightly better quality. I recently acquired a good quantity of Sako Hornet ammo. This is now solely for the ZKW465.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 04 Aug 2019, 5:53 pm

I like to use the ppu in the 17 ackley hornet, it is good brass and forms perfectly
where some other thinner brands get a bulge to one side :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles