Cheapest Left Hand .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Cheapest Left Hand .223

Post by DJCoopes » 05 Aug 2019, 7:40 pm

Anybody know what the cheapest/most affordable options would be for a Left Handed .223 bolt action?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Cheapest Left Hand .223

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Aug 2019, 7:49 pm

Ruger and Tikka make some nice rifles for the kacky handed.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Aug 2019, 8:57 pm

Most companies made them at one time or another. Used might be your best bet. Thats if your looking for cheap.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Aug 2019, 10:11 pm

DJCoopes wrote:Anybody know what the cheapest/most affordable options would be for a Left Handed .223 bolt action?

I'm not left-handed, but I have seen lots of shooters shooting left- and right-handed rifles. I think a lefty shooting a right-handed bolt-action can be poetry to watch, but often right-handed rifles have right-handed ergonomics as well. Maybe a left-handed stock on a right-handed rifle is an option.

Some manufacturers do offer left-handed models, but whether the importers bring many of them in might be a problem. It might be a matter of ordering and waiting months for it to arrive.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 06 Aug 2019, 12:24 am

On the Winchester Australia website, they offer a CZ527 in a left-handed version for a little under $1500 rrp maybe less if you shop around. That's not exactly cheap but if they are as good as my right-hand model that would be a quality rifle.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 06 Aug 2019, 10:14 am

savage axis here in the states
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by CrackThump » 06 Aug 2019, 10:52 am

as bladeracer said, shooting lefty with a right handed rifle isnt hard.

Im a left hander as well and have all right handed gear.

my howa 1500 is 223 with a right handed bolt and is frikkin beautiful, standard stock, no fancy cheek risers.. cost me about $800 second hand with a scope.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by PaddyT » 06 Aug 2019, 5:17 pm

Im a lefty and much prefer using a LH rifle, I have a tikka lite in 223 LH, its a perfectly good rifle, Having said that i just bought a Lithgow LA102 in 308 and that doest come in LH , sighting it in tommorrow!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by CrackThump » 06 Aug 2019, 6:39 pm

PaddyT wrote:Im a lefty and much prefer using a LH rifle, I have a tikka lite in 223 LH, its a perfectly good rifle, Having said that i just bought a Lithgow LA102 in 308 and that doest come in LH , sighting it in tommorrow!

Did Lithgow finally sort out the barrel issues they had. ?? is it all good to buy them now. ?
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by PaddyT » 06 Aug 2019, 6:41 pm

there was no problem with the 308 and yes i do believe they did the right thing and had a full recall on the 223 and 243
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by DJCoopes » 06 Aug 2019, 6:48 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Ruger and Tikka make some nice rifles for the kacky handed.

I had a look on Ruger's website, unfortunately no LH .223, but there is a very nice LH .308 Scout Rifle. A bit too costly for me but maybe one day... Haven't looked too deep into Tikka quite yet, but I'm getting around to it. Thanks!
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by DJCoopes » 06 Aug 2019, 6:50 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Most companies made them at one time or another. Used might be your best bet. Thats if your looking for cheap.

I think going the used route might be the best option. Do you recommend a specific website? I've had a look around and there's quite a few.
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by DJCoopes » 06 Aug 2019, 6:52 pm

CrackThump wrote:as bladeracer said, shooting lefty with a right handed rifle isnt hard.

my howa 1500 is 223 with a right handed bolt and is frikkin beautiful, standard stock, no fancy cheek risers.. cost me about $800 second hand with a scope.

I've tried shooting RH rifles, but unfortunately the scope usually gets in the way of my left hand reaching over to the bolt handle (while in prone. Standing up isn't so bad, but still uncomfortable)
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by DJCoopes » 06 Aug 2019, 6:54 pm

CrackThump wrote:as bladeracer said, shooting lefty with a right handed rifle isnt hard.

How fast can you cycle a bolt? (in standing position)
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 Aug 2019, 6:57 pm

DJCoopes wrote:

I've tried shooting RH rifles, but unfortunately the scope usually gets in the way of my left hand reaching over to the bolt handle (while in prone. Standing up isn't so bad, but still uncomfortable)

Shooting a right-handed rifle left-handed you would use your right hand to work the bolt, your left hand stays in position. When I had the pin in my right shoulder I couldn't operate my bolts right handed so I would run the bolt left handed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiX4Z9N_9k8
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Aug 2019, 8:02 pm

You can find Tikka lites for sale at $700 and a Varmint for $1,000 secondhand. The hard bit for you is finding a LHD version. My 223 varmint is the most accurate factory stock rifle I own.

I like Blades solution for shooting a RHD rifle and reaching under the rifle. I actually enjoy shooting a LH model and keeping my right hand on the pistol grip.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2019, 8:16 pm

What will it be used for?

Have u considered a break open?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2019, 8:22 pm

http://www.ozgunsales.com/

https://m.usedguns.com.au/

https://www.buyusedguns.com.au/

https://www.ozgunmart.com.au/

For me, the problem with buying on line is you dont get to have a good look and pick it up. So your taking a bit of a punt.

And then there is postage
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2019, 8:49 pm

Not cheap but ,,,,,

Screenshot_2019-08-06-20-45-37-21.png
Screenshot_2019-08-06-20-45-37-21.png (314.68 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2019, 9:01 pm

Another, cheaper. $680 and in WA

Screenshot_2019-08-06-20-59-18-02.png
Screenshot_2019-08-06-20-59-18-02.png (416.52 KiB) Viewed 5559 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 06 Aug 2019, 10:00 pm

DJCoopes wrote:

How fast can you cycle a bolt? (in standing position)

Not that much slower than a right hander.

Im a bit of a cackhander when I shoot, left hand stays on the trigger and handgrip, right hand comes off the forestock and cycles the bolt..

in prone or on benchrest, no problems, if Im standing or kneeling I either hold the rifle in my left hand and rest the butt on my thigh or belt while I work the action, or with the .22 just pull it hard into my shoulder and hold it one handed. (finger outside trigger guard of course)

hard to explain in words, but it doesnt take long to sort out your own style or rythme
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2019, 8:14 am

Why do people expect the OP to use a RH rifle when he is LHanded?. Very un-natural. Its like the 50s when some schools force LHanded kids to write with RHand.

DJC, Just be patient and sesrch for a LH rifle. Dont listen to old thinking dorks mate.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2019, 9:14 am

Oldbloke wrote:Why do people expect the OP to use a RH rifle when he is LHanded?. Very un-natural. Its like the 50s when some schools force LHanded kids to write with RHand.

DJC, Just be patient and sesrch for a LH rifle. Dont listen to old thinking dorks mate.

I don't see anybody expecting he use a right-handed rifle, just offering suggestions worth considering as left-handed rifles are limited, scarce, expensive, and more difficult to sell. If you can adapt to a right-handed rifle without compromising, I would think it a very sensible option. IEven if he buys a left-handed rifle it's very likely he'll still shoot right-handed rifles at some point anyway. As a right-hander though you could easily go your entire life without ever shooting a lefty.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2019, 9:30 am

DJCoopes wrote:Anybody know what the cheapest/most affordable options would be for a Left Handed .223 bolt action?

The OP is asking about cheap LH 223 rifles. Not about how to use a RH rifle. He would understand that is an option. People might mean well but buying a RH that would be way down the list of options in my book.

LH is best option

Perhaps BO or levers could be options too.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Raband » 07 Aug 2019, 11:24 am

Or Pump action?
Raband
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2019, 2:42 pm

Raband wrote:Or Pump action?

Yep
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Aug 2019, 5:23 pm

I'm left handed (surprise, surprise) and one of many problems with using a R.H. firearm in the field is the check piece and working the bolt with a scope mounted!
Hang in for a L.H. firearm - they are around!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Aug 2019, 7:59 am

RoginaJack wrote:I'm left handed (surprise, surprise) and one of many problems with using a R.H. firearm in the field is the check piece and working the bolt with a scope mounted!
Hang in for a L.H. firearm - they are around!

When I see lefties shooting righties they almost invariably use their right hand to run the bolt. I have seen some shoot by dropping the rifle from the shoulder, turning it onto its left side, and running the action left-handed. I often feel that us righties are actually disadvantaged using right-handed designs.

As I am irreversibly mono-dextrous right-handed I do understand that some lefties simply cannot use a right-handed rifle left-handed, but I think I would really enjoy shooting a left-handed rifle right-handed.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Aug 2019, 12:42 pm

By all means, Bladeracer, give it a go.

It's really annoying when I'm trying to get a 2nd shot away at feral dogs without lifting my head off the stock, rolling the rifle over or moving right hand of fore-end, leaving the rifle unsupported to operate bolt. Just far too much movement plus loss of sight picture etc....
just far to much mucking around.
Pump actions, Nah far to noisy.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 08 Aug 2019, 10:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:
DJCoopes wrote:

Shooting a right-handed rifle left-handed you would use your right hand to work the bolt, your left hand stays in position. When I had the pin in my right shoulder I couldn't operate my bolts right handed so I would run the bolt left handed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiX4Z9N_9k8

Can not say I have ever done like that in the clip. I am a lefty, with a rimfire, right hand holds the fore stock and left hand works the bolt. Brass goes wherever. I suppose it would look a bit strange but It works. Something I have always done and never thought there was another way. When we are in a Shooting buggy and using a CF the rifle usually has a front rest to sit on and I do work the bolt with my right hand , and stopping the brass, the left stays on the pistol grip. I saw the clip and it looks interesting.
I have the .223, CZ527 in LH and I find I have no issues with the mind set of shooting the left hand rifle after shooting all the other right hand ones. The only issue I have is when cleaning them. All of a sudden the bolt stop is on the wrong side. :huh:
Keep an eye out on the second hand market and they come up regularly.....ish.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles