Fundamentals of marksmanship according to Hathcock

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Fundamentals of marksmanship according to Hathcock

Post by in2anity » 09 Aug 2019, 8:04 am

“USMC Gunny Carlos Hathcock gave us all a small piece of paper which he called his “Bible”. It consists of a credit card sized list of instructions for proper marksmanship. The tips were simply put as follows:

Body Alignment – Natural Point Of Aim
Firm Hand Shake Grip
Firm In Shoulder
Eye Relief – Spot Weld – No Shadow
Stare At Crosshairs – Target Is A Blur
Slow Steady Pressure On Trigger To Rear
Normal Respiratory Pause
Follow Thru

He claimed his Virginia Beach snipers were required to display it on request or suffer many pushups for failure to do so. I have carried mine every day since the day he gave it to me.”

Brian K. Sain, writing in the June 2001 issue of Precision Shooting magazine, about a class he attended taught by Gunnery Sergeant Carlos N. Hathcock II (USMC, Ret.).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Fundamentals of marksmanship according to Hathcock

Post by Bruiser64 » 09 Aug 2019, 9:28 am

Given Sgt Hathcock’s success under the most trying of conditions, I for one will be following that advice.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 09 Aug 2019, 11:34 am

I just took a screenshot of that. There’s def nothing special about my shooting skills. I have room for improvement
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 09 Aug 2019, 1:38 pm

Sustained accurate fire originates from absolute and total concentration revolving around said fundamentals. Maintaining absolute and total concentration is what makes shooting fatiguing, and concentration is easily broken by the pressures of competition. Fatigue is accelerated by recoil and muscular tensions. Aim small, miss small. And when it comes to irons - intense front sight focus.
Last edited by in2anity on 09 Aug 2019, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 09 Aug 2019, 2:30 pm

"Stare at crosshairs-target is a blur"
Interesting that he says that the target is a blur, IMO. I have always focused crosshairs on the sky to begin with and both target and crosshairs are pretty much both in focus, as much as possible. Then adjust parallax to where moving my head results in the least amount of crosshair movement.
So, does anyone do as Carlos did?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 18 Aug 2019, 2:16 pm

"Stare at crosshairs-target is a blur"

G'day Wm. - I've only been shooting rifles for a few years, initially air-rifles having come from archery using sights. Somehow I've developed a sighting technique similar to your initial step, i.e. focusing on the cross-hairs against some neutral background then ''placing'' the junction of the crosshairs on my chosen aim point of the paper target and, more recently, the desired POI on a fox. At that point I hold position, breathe in and out and keep my eye-gaze ''wide''. By that I mean I do not look hard at the whole target/animal. I found that, early on, my strong and direct gaze at the whole target led me to shoot anywhere around that target. Really it only matters to me now that the bullet goes to the [quite tiny] intended aim point and the rest of the target, paper or real animal is irrelevant for the second before I fire, hence the visual image I note [perceive] is a soft, fuzzy image, i.e. a blur as Hathcock states, that lies behind the junction of the cross hairs. I might add I had a devil of a time learning to use a scope sight as initially I was looking at all the detail I could see through it that, in hindsight, was irrelevant to placing a bullet exactly on my chosen and tiny aim point. Initially I was much happier with the dioptre sights on my old 10M target air rifles. I also use the soft blurry [or wide] gaze with the dioptre sights once set.

So far It's working.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Aug 2019, 4:40 pm

Jim,
That's interesting mate :) "...a soft fuzzy image ", is what I will look for next time. Not too late for this old dog to learn new tricks :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Aug 2019, 9:49 pm

My dear ol grand dad used to make me do 10 push-ups before sending a few downrange off hand for practice. He said, walking up a ridge with a rifle, to only find out that you cannot confidently take the shot at a beautiful buck, due to heavy breathing and fatigue - only happens once to a hunter...
This lil regime has fallen away from me over the years but I’ve recently tried it with .22 at 50m...and it’s bloody hard. Adds 3 inches to my groups.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 19 Aug 2019, 11:35 am

I have watched a few of his You tube videos. Today if he wasn't in the Armed Forces I think he would be considered a psychopath. He really smiles at the killing also a bit full of himself so he would probably also considered a Narcissistic.

I have also watched a few of the TV shows that have interviews with Narcissistic Psychopaths and they display very similar traits. There was a good interview on TV just last night a 13 yr old boy planned and manipulated the babysitter to leave he then stabbed and killed his 4 year old sister. Due for release in 2027 I think maybe earlier.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by JimTom » 19 Aug 2019, 12:36 pm

We were taught a similar set of marksmanship principles in the Australian Army.
These seem to work for me.

1. Position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon.

2. Weapon must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort.

3. Aiming must be correct.

4. Shot must be released and followed through without any disturbance to the firers position.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 19 Aug 2019, 3:11 pm

sungazer you might want to read this article about Ian Robertson [and also Billy Sing] before you make psychological judgements about snipers: https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/austra ... 2urq2.html
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Aug 2019, 3:23 pm

I just breathe, take aim and shoot = works fine for me so can't say I need to change it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sungazer » 19 Aug 2019, 6:21 pm

i am pretty up on the Billy Sing story we have a shoot each year in recognition of him and his struggles after the war.

I am not labeling all snipers Psychopaths I have also researched Carlos service records and he has a huge CV or war record of achievements. None of which means he did not have some mental health issues. I am pretty sure his mental health helped him remarkably to achieve what he did.

But take him out of the war setting. Watch the interviews he has that smugness a look in his eyes that IMHO and it is only that my opinion I think he has mental health issues.

In some ways his facial expressions look like Lee Harvey Oswald and other assassins, serial killers. Perhaps it is just a matter of if you are in the service during wartime. Perhaps these other assassins and serial killers would be hero's.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Aug 2019, 8:45 pm

I think most people struggle in some way with killing other human beings especially in the theatre of war, it can't be easy taking someones life no matter the reason behind it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Aug 2019, 9:19 pm

sungazer wrote:i am pretty up on the Billy Sing story we have a shoot each year in recognition of him and his struggles after the war.

I am not labeling all snipers Psychopaths I have also researched Carlos service records and he has a huge CV or war record of achievements. None of which means he did not have some mental health issues. I am pretty sure his mental health helped him remarkably to achieve what he did.

But take him out of the war setting. Watch the interviews he has that smugness a look in his eyes that IMHO and it is only that my opinion I think he has mental health issues.

In some ways his facial expressions look like Lee Harvey Oswald and other assassins, serial killers. Perhaps it is just a matter of if you are in the service during wartime. Perhaps these other assassins and serial killers would be hero's.

What makes you think Lee Harvey Oswald was an assassin? I would agree that he looked to have mental health issues which made him a perfect patsy.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 19 Aug 2019, 10:30 pm

sungazer wrote:In some ways his facial expressions look like Lee Harvey Oswald and other assassins, serial killers. Perhaps it is just a matter of if you are in the service during wartime. Perhaps these other assassins and serial killers would be hero's.

Do you really think he made those shots that killed JFK sungazer...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 19 Aug 2019, 10:39 pm

What makes you think Lee Harvey Oswald was an assassin? I would agree that he looked to have mental health issues which made him a perfect patsy.
Now that,s another story
sungazer you might want to read this article about Ian Robertson [and also Billy Sing] before you make psychological judgement about snipers: https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/austra ... urq2.htmll
What a brilliant In site I enjoyed reading that
Last edited by pomemax on 20 Aug 2019, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 19 Aug 2019, 11:18 pm

pomemax wrote:What makes you think Lee Harvey Oswald was an assassin? I would agree that he looked to have mental health issues which made him a perfect patsy.
Now that,s another story
sungazer you might want to read this article about Ian Robertson [and also Billy Sing] before you make psychological judgements about snipers: https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/austra ... 2urq2.html What a brilliant In site I enjoyed reading that

That link doesnt work for me...can you try post it again...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 20 Aug 2019, 12:42 am

works now Stix
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by gordicans » 20 Aug 2019, 2:27 am

Nathan Foster has a few words on this topic. A kiwi with a very good website on reloading, shooting technique etc etc. He is very much against the modern fashion of cross shooting technique ie where the fore end of the stock is not gripped and front arm is tucked back to the chest. He reckons it results in flyers. He has an article on this at:

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowle ... orend.html

He has self published a few books and recently I bought the e-version of his one on reloading. It's excellent
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Aug 2019, 8:09 am

I was trained shooting palma as a teenager. Triangulating slings were so tight we were told our forend hand "should hurt". And on a good day, one could shoot better than any cross-shooting technique. It seems to defy logic, but to me using a stabilising sling just seems to lend itself to better repeat-ability. And shooting with a sling makes it oh-so obvious when errors stem from you. Each shot you're like "bugger, pulled the trigger at the wrong time" or "oooh yeah, that one was a bull!". I just don't get that feeling from cross-shooting; when shooting cross style it's more of a floaty "hmm, yeah welI I guess that one felt precise, I wonder where that one ended up".

Don't get me wrong, cross-shooting is easier, and sometimes easier is better. I definitely believe cross shooting is far more suitable for load development. But if you put in the discipline and concentration, sling shooting can be very consistent. Trouble is, fur ain't really gonna wait around while you set up your palma-style sling... but that's when offhand skills become important I reckon. And that's a whole different ball game.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Aug 2019, 10:58 am

in2anity wrote:I was trained shooting palma as a teenager. Triangulating slings were so tight we were told our forend hand "should hurt". And on a good day, one could shoot better than any cross-shooting technique. It seems to defy logic, but to me using a stabilising sling just seems to lend itself to better repeat-ability. And shooting with a sling makes it oh-so obvious when errors stem from you. Each shot you're like "bugger, pulled the trigger at the wrong time" or "oooh yeah, that one was a bull!". I just don't get that feeling from cross-shooting; when shooting cross style it's more of a floaty "hmm, yeah welI I guess that one felt precise, I wonder where that one ended up".

Don't get me wrong, cross-shooting is easier, and sometimes easier is better. I definitely believe cross shooting is far more suitable for load development. But if you put in the discipline and concentration, sling shooting can be very consistent. Trouble is, fur ain't really gonna wait around while you set up your palma-style sling... but that's when offhand skills become important I reckon. And that's a whole different ball game.

How do you practice your off-hand shooting? I just shoot at a 3" or 4" gong from memory at around 100-130m give or take, I figure it I can hit it more often than not it should be good enough for hunting with, mind you I don't practice it out of breath so that will definitely change the outcome too I'd think. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 20 Aug 2019, 11:57 am

Marksman put up a link to a good video a while back...
Cant remember what he called the thread... :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Aug 2019, 1:30 pm

Following on from above...
It was a different "shooting fundamentals" video that from memory had no speech...so we were spared the self indulgent dribble of a wana-be tube star... :clap:

It depicted what it was demonstrating quite well given it was just footage...for example using footage through the scope of how shouldering the gun looks once natural point of aim was achieved...

(Thats not to take anything away from the good info here BTW... :thumbsup: )
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 20 Aug 2019, 2:35 pm

bigfellascott wrote:How do you practice your off-hand shooting? I just shoot at a 3" or 4" gong from memory at around 100-130m give or take, I figure it I can hit it more often than not it should be good enough for hunting with, mind you I don't practice it out of breath so that will definitely change the outcome too I'd think. :thumbsup:

By shooting silhoutte. I only really got into standing offhand shooting a few years back when I started shooting metallic silhouette. Very humbling indeed. And sadly I haven't been shooting silhouette near as much recently (had a second child) - and it's definitely a skill you lose once you stop practising. BFS if you can consistently group into 3-4" at 100m from standing offhand, you'd basically be a master grade which is reserved for the very best. :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Aug 2019, 2:52 pm

Good technique he has.

Personally, I was trained by a true Jedi master and regular Queens Medallion shooter.

He would say "breathe on-one-wheel, close your eyes and use the force"

I don't think that I've ever missed a single shot that I wasn't ment to miss since.
back2 (1).JPG
Using the force.
back2 (1).JPG (41.92 KiB) Viewed 5800 times

This also may be of some help to those chasing better results.
It's a printable target that's used in some shooting circles, you know ... the type of underground shooting clubs that don't talk about shooting club
trigger-control-chart-you-suck-you-suck-you-suck-there-29103165.png
trigger-control-chart-you-suck-you-suck-you-suck-there-29103165.png (81.91 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Aug 2019, 3:10 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:How do you practice your off-hand shooting? I just shoot at a 3" or 4" gong from memory at around 100-130m give or take, I figure it I can hit it more often than not it should be good enough for hunting with, mind you I don't practice it out of breath so that will definitely change the outcome too I'd think. :thumbsup:

By shooting silhoutte. I only really got into standing offhand shooting a few years back when I started shooting metallic silhouette. Very humbling indeed. And sadly I haven't been shooting silhouette near as much recently (had a second child) - and it's definitely a skill you lose once you stop practising. BFS if you can consistently group into 3-4" at 100m from standing offhand, you'd basically be a master grade which is reserved for the very best. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't say consistently, I miss the occasional one :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by WookyMysta » 16 Oct 2019, 7:36 pm

Totally agree, there is PS4 C.O.D, and then there is real world.

I had a rare opportunity about 20yrs ago chatting with a SAS sniper.

I asked him point blank, HOW DO YOU DO IT ??

His reply was... If I dont do my job, the enemy will come here and do the same to my wife and children.

You pull the trigger, they fall down, and thats it. Dont think, just continue to your next objective.

Life and death aint no game. It takes a certain type of disconnected mindset to shoot anything other than vermin pests.
WookyMysta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles