Fundamentals of marksmanship according to Hathcock

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Fundamentals of marksmanship according to Hathcock

Post by pomemax » 20 Aug 2019, 12:42 am

works now Stix
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by gordicans » 20 Aug 2019, 2:27 am

Nathan Foster has a few words on this topic. A kiwi with a very good website on reloading, shooting technique etc etc. He is very much against the modern fashion of cross shooting technique ie where the fore end of the stock is not gripped and front arm is tucked back to the chest. He reckons it results in flyers. He has an article on this at:

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowle ... orend.html

He has self published a few books and recently I bought the e-version of his one on reloading. It's excellent
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Aug 2019, 8:09 am

I was trained shooting palma as a teenager. Triangulating slings were so tight we were told our forend hand "should hurt". And on a good day, one could shoot better than any cross-shooting technique. It seems to defy logic, but to me using a stabilising sling just seems to lend itself to better repeat-ability. And shooting with a sling makes it oh-so obvious when errors stem from you. Each shot you're like "bugger, pulled the trigger at the wrong time" or "oooh yeah, that one was a bull!". I just don't get that feeling from cross-shooting; when shooting cross style it's more of a floaty "hmm, yeah welI I guess that one felt precise, I wonder where that one ended up".

Don't get me wrong, cross-shooting is easier, and sometimes easier is better. I definitely believe cross shooting is far more suitable for load development. But if you put in the discipline and concentration, sling shooting can be very consistent. Trouble is, fur ain't really gonna wait around while you set up your palma-style sling... but that's when offhand skills become important I reckon. And that's a whole different ball game.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Aug 2019, 10:58 am

in2anity wrote:I was trained shooting palma as a teenager. Triangulating slings were so tight we were told our forend hand "should hurt". And on a good day, one could shoot better than any cross-shooting technique. It seems to defy logic, but to me using a stabilising sling just seems to lend itself to better repeat-ability. And shooting with a sling makes it oh-so obvious when errors stem from you. Each shot you're like "bugger, pulled the trigger at the wrong time" or "oooh yeah, that one was a bull!". I just don't get that feeling from cross-shooting; when shooting cross style it's more of a floaty "hmm, yeah welI I guess that one felt precise, I wonder where that one ended up".

Don't get me wrong, cross-shooting is easier, and sometimes easier is better. I definitely believe cross shooting is far more suitable for load development. But if you put in the discipline and concentration, sling shooting can be very consistent. Trouble is, fur ain't really gonna wait around while you set up your palma-style sling... but that's when offhand skills become important I reckon. And that's a whole different ball game.

How do you practice your off-hand shooting? I just shoot at a 3" or 4" gong from memory at around 100-130m give or take, I figure it I can hit it more often than not it should be good enough for hunting with, mind you I don't practice it out of breath so that will definitely change the outcome too I'd think. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 20 Aug 2019, 11:57 am

Marksman put up a link to a good video a while back...
Cant remember what he called the thread... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Aug 2019, 1:30 pm

Following on from above...
It was a different "shooting fundamentals" video that from memory had no speech...so we were spared the self indulgent dribble of a wana-be tube star... :clap:

It depicted what it was demonstrating quite well given it was just footage...for example using footage through the scope of how shouldering the gun looks once natural point of aim was achieved...

(Thats not to take anything away from the good info here BTW... :thumbsup: )
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 20 Aug 2019, 2:35 pm

bigfellascott wrote:How do you practice your off-hand shooting? I just shoot at a 3" or 4" gong from memory at around 100-130m give or take, I figure it I can hit it more often than not it should be good enough for hunting with, mind you I don't practice it out of breath so that will definitely change the outcome too I'd think. :thumbsup:

By shooting silhoutte. I only really got into standing offhand shooting a few years back when I started shooting metallic silhouette. Very humbling indeed. And sadly I haven't been shooting silhouette near as much recently (had a second child) - and it's definitely a skill you lose once you stop practising. BFS if you can consistently group into 3-4" at 100m from standing offhand, you'd basically be a master grade which is reserved for the very best. :thumbsup:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Aug 2019, 2:52 pm

Good technique he has.

Personally, I was trained by a true Jedi master and regular Queens Medallion shooter.

He would say "breathe on-one-wheel, close your eyes and use the force"

I don't think that I've ever missed a single shot that I wasn't ment to miss since.
back2 (1).JPG
Using the force.
back2 (1).JPG (41.92 KiB) Viewed 5744 times

This also may be of some help to those chasing better results.
It's a printable target that's used in some shooting circles, you know ... the type of underground shooting clubs that don't talk about shooting club
trigger-control-chart-you-suck-you-suck-you-suck-there-29103165.png
trigger-control-chart-you-suck-you-suck-you-suck-there-29103165.png (81.91 KiB) Viewed 5744 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Aug 2019, 3:10 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:How do you practice your off-hand shooting? I just shoot at a 3" or 4" gong from memory at around 100-130m give or take, I figure it I can hit it more often than not it should be good enough for hunting with, mind you I don't practice it out of breath so that will definitely change the outcome too I'd think. :thumbsup:

By shooting silhoutte. I only really got into standing offhand shooting a few years back when I started shooting metallic silhouette. Very humbling indeed. And sadly I haven't been shooting silhouette near as much recently (had a second child) - and it's definitely a skill you lose once you stop practising. BFS if you can consistently group into 3-4" at 100m from standing offhand, you'd basically be a master grade which is reserved for the very best. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't say consistently, I miss the occasional one :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by WookyMysta » 16 Oct 2019, 7:36 pm

Totally agree, there is PS4 C.O.D, and then there is real world.

I had a rare opportunity about 20yrs ago chatting with a SAS sniper.

I asked him point blank, HOW DO YOU DO IT ??

His reply was... If I dont do my job, the enemy will come here and do the same to my wife and children.

You pull the trigger, they fall down, and thats it. Dont think, just continue to your next objective.

Life and death aint no game. It takes a certain type of disconnected mindset to shoot anything other than vermin pests.
WookyMysta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles