New Rifle...just my luck...!!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: New Rifle...just my luck...!!

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2019, 1:30 pm

If i buy a demonstration car they knock a few k off. Looking like Stix got a demo without the discount. Or someone in the shop had some fun at the range with it.

PS. I only buy cheap stuff off the net for this very reason. Almost got caught with a not so cheap mobile. Never again.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2019, 6:49 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Stainless steel, more likely copper from firing, perhaps in factory?

If your not happy sent pics in an email (be factual) .

Tassie gave pretty good advice. And, yes they pay the postage. Contact vic consumer affairs.

TBO If it was a $600 riflle i wouldnt bother but if it was expensive have a crack.

Far too many companies our there consider customers just another sheep to shear.

Yep it looks like copper fouling to me too. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by cracker » 11 Aug 2019, 7:37 pm

Stix wrote:
cracker wrote:ill be the bad guy.

its doesnt look that bad honestly?
theres not alot wrong...? if anything...perhaps a drop mark maybe... im not sure what you paid or what it is.... but man rust... thats not rust it, would wipe off and that dint on the top... meh i doubt it would do much
not trying to be an ass just trying to put another perspective in, i dont disagree with you, some times it worth cooling off and just relaxing.

I see your point...i do...& im cooled... :) .but if i advertised this as new on the net & you bought it, how would you feel...?

My view is its a brand that holds its value...i got it because i (obviously) want it, but also as if kept in mint cond (as i keep my other one), i will get my money back, (&maybe plus some) in time if i need to...

But now im guessing ive started a good few hundred behind...

If i knew it were in this cond i wouldnt have bought it because its not new...

I get your point...but its just wrong that dealers pull this crap--i shouldnt have to pay for their apethy & disrespect...nor should I (any of us) allow them to fuk us over...

i get where your coming from, its hard when its shipped.
in the past iv gone in too collect a "new" rifle, and when they have opened the box the stock had marks on it and looked "rough" been knocked about abit.
my response was, thats not my rifle, this one has marks on it and has been damaged, i purchased a new rifle, thanks.

hopefully it works out for you.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 13 Aug 2019, 8:18 pm

Stix,
feel for you mate.......a NEW rifle should mean that - NEW IN BOX.
I have been burnt on many occasions buying second hand /demo rifles marked as VGC or better ........when they were completely shot to bits.

One demo i bought of a well known make had a barrel bulge half way down the tube - someone must have left a cleaning patch in the bore and fired a shot through. Alerted the dealer and sent him pics of the bore...........got a full refund......(mind you i discovered this a few days after taking delivery when cleaning the gun prior to mounting my scope - i had not shot the rifle as yet!)

That incident was the last straw - i will only buy new from a local dealer and ALWAYS inspect the gun prior to taking it away - and always put a clean patch down the bore - to check for and bulges ......

You cant trust anyone - yes honest mistakes do happen ......but best to go by the saying "CAVEAT EMPTOR- BUYER BEWARE' - when it comes to firearms.
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by gordicans » 14 Aug 2019, 3:14 am

Stix you should fight this one. It's shonky as hell and you shouldn't let them get away with it. I'd go for a replacement brand new one at the same price you paid for the ''used" one. Way to do it is send them photos showing that the rifle is not new, and ask them what they'll do to rectify the situation and see what they come up with. I'd bore (no pun intended) it right up these pricks.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Kadmium » 15 Aug 2019, 8:40 pm

Hey mate. Long time lurker, first time poster. Read your post and it got my blood pressure up. So I made an account to give you my unsolicited advice :sarcasm:

As far as consumer protection goes, you are covered under Australian Consumer Law. While I agree the best option is to be polite, the easiest way to deal with it is to politely let them know what has happened, let them know what you expect in return, and give them the opportunity to fix the issue.

However, it still helps to know what you are entitled to.

Under ACL there are two situations where you are entitled to remedy. The first is for a 'major problem' and the second is a 'minor problem'. In my opinion (THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE) your situation falls into the major category in two ways:

1. If a reasonable consumer had known about the problem, they would never have bought the product

And

2. The product is significantly different from a sample, description or demonstration model.

This is because, if I bought a firearm that was a) of a reputable brand and b ) stainless steel, it would be reasonable to expect the firearm is free from rust. This is exacerbated by the fact you waited several months for a 'new' one to be shipped.

Second, if the item is described as brand new, it is reasonable to assume it is free from dents, scratches and rust. There should be no (or minimal) galling to the bolt face. As such, it was described as new and is clearly not.

Because the dispute falls into the 'major' category, the _consumer_ may:

- reject it and choose a refund or replacement, or

- keep it and the seller will compensate them for any drop in value

So you can choose to have the item replaced. You don't have to accept a refund. If the issue is a minor problem, the seller may then elect the remedy.

On a final note, because the ACL is federal law, all states and territories are bound. This is coupled with interstate agreements on bringing proceedings against companies or people. This means if you get no luck with them, start a dispute with Victorian Civil Administration Tribunal (VCAT) who will make a binding decision. It's really easy and costs two tenths of bugger all.

I only know this because I was given dodgy fuel which farked my car and I had to take a big brand company to VCAT to get them to pay to fix it. And they were based in another state.
CZ452 - .22LR
Marlin 336 - 30-30
Tika T3 - .308
Hatsan - 12G
Coming soon - ???
Kadmium
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by gordicans » 17 Aug 2019, 12:36 am

well done Kadmium for taking the effort. nothing gets my goat up than consumers being taken for fools because the seller assumes that they won't do anything. I'd love to know which gun shop it was. You should take it right up to them Stix. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a brand new one from these guys for the same price that you paid
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 18 Aug 2019, 8:29 pm

I once bought a box of .308 /168gn Berger VLDs from the SA fullbore association shop, turned up having been previously opened and many corrosion marked jackets, betting they were "sorted through" for weight as well. Society is infested with maggots.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by fitchaj » 18 Aug 2019, 9:32 pm

Obvious chucked your new one on the rack and sent you the used one.
fitchaj
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Aug 2019, 9:37 pm

I sense from some of your posts Stix that you have a bit on, but I’d deadset prioritise this issue and get back on to shop ASAP(you may have d already) - but the longer you leave it, the easier it is for them to denounce any issues.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bombus1 » 02 Sep 2019, 5:57 pm

bigpete wrote:
Stix wrote:Hhmmm...
The fact ive ive dropped a few grand on something to find its rusty & dinged up & being fukd over by a dealer i obviously dont find as funny as you bigpete...

Go fuk yourself...!!!!

There there snookums.
If you're so upset take it back and jam it up their bum. That's what I did over a $650 gun that didn't work properly. I certainly didn't ask for people's opinions....

Ease up mate. What's wrong with having a vent (well warranted by the sounds of it) and asking for opinions/help from other people who may have had the same experience?
Respect the process, Respect the Animal, Respect the Hunt
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Jan 2020, 10:05 pm

So...this is well overdue for an update...

After a little to & fro, i finally got on to the importer of this rifle & dealt direct with them.

When all is said & done, i couldnt believe the attitudes from the relevant dealers--both the one i purchased it from interstate, & my local one who forgot to lodge new pta & then lost it once approved...

Anyway--all turned out good.

I got to deal direct with the national sales manager who swapped the rifle with a new one, no questions asked.

I was privelliged enough to have a little bo-peep down the bore with Grumpy308's hawkeye...thanks Grumpy... :thumbsup: ...
And it looked to be a good barrel.

I gave it a polish as instructed by Grumpy & marksman (& maybe others--thanks for the advice fellas... :) ) & eventually got to shoot it.

It really seems to like 32gr Varmageddon bullets.. :clap: ....but so far cant say the same for 40 grainers--a real bummer as i want to shoot 300 plus with it... :thumbsdown:

This is what it printed after i got 20 odd rounds through the pipe & it stopped leaving copper...
This was actually shot in a bit of wind too, so i was pretty happy...!!
2020-01-08 22.00.02.jpg
2020-01-08 22.00.02.jpg (341.58 KiB) Viewed 4018 times

It has done this a couple of times too... :clap: ...infact its worst with 32's is prob half inch, so if that keeps up ill be pretty happy...
2020-01-08 22.00.25.jpg
2020-01-08 22.00.25.jpg (56.93 KiB) Viewed 4018 times

Here is some results with Speer 39 HP's...
2020-01-08 22.13.28.jpg
2020-01-08 22.13.28.jpg (384.24 KiB) Viewed 4018 times

The 26.6 is by far the best it has printed with 40's...
I need to bite the bullet & try the Sierra 39 GK's...but at higher prices than good 30 cal bullets, i wont burn the barrel out quick if it likes them... :lol:

Anyway...
It had its first time out in the field this last week, & unfortunately i discovered yet another faulty bushnell scope--that pic of the single 3 shot group above was taken the morning after scoping it in at 200...so i think im done with these bushnells...ive already had 2 faulty ones replaced & now ive got another 2 faulty ones...ffs...!!...
Along with a faulty $1500 Zeiss, ive gad sh!t luck with scopes the last few years... :thumbsdown:

Thinkin of packing all my bushnells up & sending them direct to the importer --but thats another topic all together...

But, i did get 2 solid hits on bunny's at the 300 yard mark...a neck shot at 308 yds, & a head shot at 290 once i knew the hold over (couldnt dial due to scope)...only thing is, bloody fox found my 290 head shot before i did... :lol:
I should add, these shots taken in perfect conditiobs--not a breath of wind--no way id attempt that in any wind.

So ill finish up there...other than to say, ill happily take onboard any advice on getting 40's to shoot in a Sako 204... :)

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Jan 2020, 9:21 am

its good to see you have something there to work with Stix, in fact l would be very happy with it so far
l recon it will get better and it is a shooter, l'm not saying the results are not good just that l reckon it will actually shoot better with a few more shots
the rifle will tell you what it likes to shoot and has IMO so just look at what it likes
the OCW test you did tells a big story as the groups are not clocking much for the 32's like they are for the 39's, that is what its likes
this may change with the fireformed cases but it may not if you have the sweet spot and the internal volume is not that much greater

its about time you had a win Stix bad luck on the scope's l have never owned a bushnell but have heard mixed reviews, some love them some dont
:drinks: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Jan 2020, 11:02 am

marksman wrote: l have never owned a bushnell but have heard mixed reviews, some love them some dont
:drinks: :drinks:

A large majority of firearms both new and second hand for sale at dealers, have Bushnell scopes.
I believe mainly because they are cheap.

I have owned three Bushnells in the past,,,,,, and got rid of all 3,, flat out like a lizard drinking.
I do not like them,, and I reckon they also feel cheap to hold.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 09 Jan 2020, 1:27 pm

Agree on the bushnell scopes, will never buy another one.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2020, 6:34 pm

Mmm, i have a couple of $300 bushnell and both seem ok so far. Touch wood.

Gotta agree though, scopes at the lower end seem to be a bit of a raffle.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 09 Jan 2020, 8:27 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Mmm, i have a couple of $300 bushnell and both seem ok so far. Touch wood.

Gotta agree though, scopes at the lower end seem to be a bit of a raffle.

I too have a couple Bushnell elite 3500 scopes that I run on .308 and .223. Touch wood they have been fine so far.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by grumpy308 » 09 Jan 2020, 8:28 pm

Hi Stix. Not sure what twist rate your 204 has but it seems to be that not all 40gn type projectiles perform with a 1 in 12" barrel. Seems as though it is marginal for that weight bullet depending on bearing surface, length and shape as well as if it is boat-tail or not. Could be that some will stabilize better than others so group size could vary quite a bit. If your barrel is a 1 in 12 then you may have to be a bit selective with bullets in that weight sector. Regards Malcolm.
grumpy308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Jan 2020, 10:41 pm

Thanks Grumpy...
Yes its a 12 twist.

Ill jave to bite the bullet :lol: on some Sierra's...
I think Appolo on here said his Sako likes them, & i know another guy whos 204 puts them all in one hole, but his is a high end custom match barrel & not sure of the twist in his.

Time eill tell...hopefully ill find one that it likes...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2020, 3:39 am

[quote="JimTom"]

I too have a couple Bushnell elite 3500 scopes that I run on .308 and .223. Touch wood they have been fine so far.

I think $300 is about the minimum if you wabt any sort of reliability
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jt-2019 » 02 Feb 2020, 6:35 pm

Bad luck take it back!
Jt-2019