New Rifle...just my luck...!!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Rifle...just my luck...!!

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 12:03 am

So...finally got a new rifle shipped from a dealer interstate...
Firstly, its not a cheap rifle, & when i put money down i specifically told the dealer to NOT give me demo model with dings & scratches etc...
They insisted the rifle was new & hasnt been opened.

So it arrived & there is a scuff on the barrel (no pic here), a distinct lack of oil on.it with some discolouration to steel, a dent in end of barrel & surface rust on crown going down rifling into muzzle end of barrel.
I think there is also a nik in the crown, but hard to see with my eyes--csn see it in pic though...

Personally im sick of this crap from dealers--its the 3rd dealer to do this crap to me..!!
& this mob have clearly sent this rifle knowing its interstate & i cant easily go in & kick up a fuss..

I know the dealer will argue...but what do you guys suggest...how would you approach it...?
Its really not good enough for the value of the rifle...

And...no doubt as soon as i take it & shoot it, its my problem & w'tee will be void due to rust & dings... :twisted:

At this point, the brand of rifle is irrelevant..
2019-08-09 23.19.37.jpg
Ding in muzzle
2019-08-09 23.19.37.jpg (357.65 KiB) Viewed 5635 times

2019-08-09 23.17.42.jpg
Rust
2019-08-09 23.17.42.jpg (288.17 KiB) Viewed 5635 times

Ive waited 5 months to get this rifle...talk about deflating the hype & feeling like you've been duped...!!! :thumbsdown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: New Rifle...just my luck...!!

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Aug 2019, 12:45 am

Just take it back and tell them your not happy with it.

Ask them how'd they'll feel with buying a new car and finding dents and scratches on it.

I've bought 2 new firearms with dents and scratches now.
Both times didn't didnt notice until I've got it home. Very annoying, although I chose to do nothing about ot in both cases.
In the long run both those guns look a whole heap less tidy now after heaps of use.

I wonder sometimes how the hell do they end up looking like that.
Cow boys and Indians in the shop after hours?
Clumsy butter fingers?
Plain old careless?

Here's what I do if I owned a gun shop.
Someone orders a rifle, rifle arrives, open box carefully inspect rifle for imperfections and damage, check and record serial number, clean and oil if necessary, wrap rifle in original packaging place it in a safe place awaiting the customer.

You'd swear they just shake the gun from his packaging clean every trace of oil from it, throw it in a heap on top of all the other customers guns and hit them with a garden hose.

Perhaps between manufacturing packaging shipping to Australia through several shipping places and other international customs overseas, arriving at customsin AU, being unboxed and check by them, repackaged, sent the to dealer somehow unboxed and checked again in the shop they end up looking rather second-hand
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 Aug 2019, 8:04 am

You can call them... send the pictures through and maybe ask for a small refund (50/100) in the first picture there appears to be a ding/chip at the top of the barrel.

If you been waiting for months to get the rifle...I would say it's likely not a demo (unless you were doing a lay by). Also if from QLD I hear everything rusts there in hours . Or maybe its from factory.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2019, 8:19 am

Suck it up and go shooting princess :lol:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 9:48 am

Hhmmm...
The fact ive ive dropped a few grand on something to find its rusty & dinged up & being fukd over by a dealer i obviously dont find as funny as you bigpete...

Go fuk yourself...!!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 10 Aug 2019, 9:55 am

Its unacceptable mate, I'd push for a refund + transfer expenses. I'm in QLD , the climate alone is not to blame for rust. Crappy handling and not oiling the gun afterwards is the issue. This does seem like a rack gun that has been passed back and forward to customers and maybe even fired without decent cleaning. The other issue is it could be a store return from a previous customer.

I'm getting tired of ordering interstate myself. Have had a lever action turn up with a badly filed front sight, another one the box was so flimsy the barrel had 'worn' through the end of the box. Box must have been placed barrel down in the back of the freight truck and the vibration and jolting it eventually wore through. See if you can talk to someone in charge. Most gunstores are pretty reasonable if you put them on the spot with this. And if they are not its reasonable for you to take the next step.

I tend to agree with your summation of bigpetes post. The 'she'll be right' attitude is why dealers get away with stuff.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Aug 2019, 10:09 am

Send those photos to the dealer with a "you've got to be kidding" email.
Consumer laws in Australia are pretty strict when it comes to this sort of crap. Start jumping up and down about it now.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Leadspitter » 10 Aug 2019, 10:15 am

Stix i feel your pain

Only a couple of weeks ago , i drove from sydney to wagga to buy a BRAND NEW rifle.

AT A DEALER.

The rifle looked brand new not a mark on it
The bolt face however was like a mirror a lot of wear where it had obviously been fired a lot.

I was pissed off but what could i do ?

I made a couple of calls and found out the rifle was delivered april 2014.
I said thats funny barrel was proof marked 2016

So there are mongrels out there

I ended up driving down to wangaratta the following week to get the 17 hornet , if i was at all suss i would have left it and driven home

I have paid about $300 for fuel and $90 for one nights accom

Worst thing with these shonks is that , you can turn into a cynic looking for the worst in people .

Good luck with your rifle

The ding could have happened at the factory
Is the rust superficial , try cleaning it up.

I know its more about the principle but the only way is to see it in the shop before putting your money down

Amost impossible to do now as shops won t hold stock and will only order in with deposit so its hard.

Regards Leadspitter.
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2019, 10:17 am

Stix wrote:Hhmmm...
The fact ive ive dropped a few grand on something to find its rusty & dinged up & being fukd over by a dealer i obviously dont find as funny as you bigpete...

Go fuk yourself...!!!!

There there snookums.
If you're so upset take it back and jam it up their bum. That's what I did over a $650 gun that didn't work properly. I certainly didn't ask for people's opinions....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Leadspitter » 10 Aug 2019, 10:31 am

There you go stix ,

All you gotta do is lower yourself to being as big a mongrel as the dealers , and jam it up their bum , easy .
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 10 Aug 2019, 11:09 am

Gamerancher wrote:Send those photos to the dealer with a "you've got to be kidding" email.
Consumer laws in Australia are pretty strict when it comes to this sort of crap. Start jumping up and down about it now.

+1 :drinks:
you are within your rights to get a refund
the damage to the barrel was done before they put the coating on the barrel :roll:
is it rust in the barrel or copper from test firing :unknown: I cant tell
it is sloppy work that you would expect from Bubba :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 12:03 pm

bigpete wrote:

Go fuk yourself...!!!!

There there snookums.
If you're so upset take it back and jam it up their bum. That's what I did over a $650 gun that didn't work properly. I certainly didn't ask for people's opinions....

Did you read the post at all...?
Its interstate, not a feasible trip for one, & for two, i dont care what you did...i care about us good folk who have to put up with being fukd over by dishonest mongrels & not being able to do anything about the useless diks who think its funny & get a kick out it...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 12:36 pm

Thanks for the replies...

marksman wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:Send those photos to the dealer with a "you've got to be kidding" email.

+1 :drinks:
you are within your rights to get a refund
the damage to the barrel was done before they put the coating on the barrel :roll:
is it rust in the barrel or copper from test firing :unknown: I cant tell
it is sloppy work that you would expect from Bubba :thumbsup:

Thing is...the rifle is at pre-price rise cost...& i cant afford the new price so with a refund i am without the rifle...

The only thing im unsure of with the consumer law is if i am entitled to replacement, or if the dealer calls the shots there... :unknown:

I also dare say ill have to foot the bill for the freight back--thats another pissa & something i shouldnt have to do in my book...!!...ive already fairly paid my money.

As for the rust...yes it looks like th rust is superficial surface rust, but the thing is as soon as i stick a rod down the bore to polish it up a bit & clean out the rust, they will hold me to account for any damage that may be existing (for example--if it has been fired by people/a customer return etc).

Unfortunately it is a small cal so the 2 guys i know of with a hawkeye tell me that the scope wont fit down to have a look--so i cant see if there is pre-existing damage.

Marksman, the barrel isnt coated, it is just matt finish type stainless, it just looks coated from the camera (mobile phone) flash.

Im going to see if i can get there today & take some better pics that show a little down the bore...& ill check out the bolt face & inside action too.

Also, the scuff mark on the bottom of the barrel looks just as you would imagine it to be if the gun were carelessly removed & replaced from a timber rack--a thousand times...
(Its hard to get a pic to show this scuff clearly, but it stands out like you know what--the dealer tried to rub it off with a rag as it just looks like a dirty mark, but soon realised its an abrasion into the steel... :roll: )

I really just want my new rifle...to be new...no getting screwed over...no argueing...thats all... :unknown:
:cry:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Aug 2019, 2:00 pm

I was going to ask what the finish was too, surprised when you said it was stainless. What brand of rifle is it? I hope you get a good outcome, disappointing to end up here and plenty of stuffing around in front of you to get what you paid for.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Aug 2019, 3:02 pm

Mate - I’ve just been through small claims with HN and I learned a LOT about aust consumer law.

Some devils advocate questions to consider.
Is any of the damage - attributable to post / transit? Is there insurance on the rifle re transit?

You are NOT responsible for return post under ACL - they are.

I would NOT fire the rifle if you intend to dispute anything - it’s a pain but pull the trigger on a couple and it’s now used and “you’ve caused any damage”.

What do you want from a dispute?
Would a partial refund resolve the dispute? An offer of a fix?
A replacement? A refund ? These are the options available to the seller - not necessarily to you, so you need to decide your preference and push for that but seller can say here’s a postal return slip, here’s your refund - now bugger off...and that’s that.

I’d the shop give you the run around - do not be scared to lodge a claim with the courts. It’s bloody easy and doesn’t cost very much at all - and it tells them your not farking around.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Aug 2019, 3:27 pm

Stainless steel, more likely copper from firing, perhaps in factory?

If your not happy sent pics in an email (be factual) .

Tassie gave pretty good advice. And, yes they pay the postage. Contact vic consumer affairs.

TBO If it was a $600 riflle i wouldnt bother but if it was expensive have a crack.

Far too many companies our there consider customers just another sheep to shear.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 4:49 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I was going to ask what the finish was too, surprised when you said it was stainless. What brand of rifle is it? I hope you get a good outcome, disappointing to end up here and plenty of stuffing around in front of you to get what you paid for.

Im not keen on blabbing the brand at this point...or the store for that matter...

I have some pics of the bolt now...im not experienced enough to know for sure...but one could be forgiven for thinking its been fired--beyond that of the factory proof & testing...

If i put the pics up of the scratched bolt face & lugs it will for sure give away the brand...(id have thought the crown may have given it away...)

Apart from mods not liking it, im not sure its in my best interest before giving the store an opportunity to reply... :unknown:
(it s**ts me im so polite when they know exactly what they have sent me...!!!...)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 Aug 2019, 4:50 pm

old bloke and taz have given you some good advice to mull over stix, i can't add anything better except to say i reckon it's a demo that's been in and out of a gun rack and handled by customers . and i reckon your right that they took advantage of you being a interstate customer . i've bought a few older second hand guns online and mostly they've been as described . unless it's something i really desire , i try to buy the gun that i've had in my hands rather than something brought in . my sympathies stix , i hope things work out for you . you can't directly name gunshops or smiths on the forum for bad behaviour , but if you can give us a clue i think a lot of us won't be doing business with the particular shop that's done this to you . :thumbsdown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 4:55 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Mate - I’ve just been through small claims with HN and I learned a LOT about aust consumer law.

Some devils advocate questions to consider.
Is any of the damage - attributable to post / transit? Is there insurance on the rifle re transit?

You are NOT responsible for return post under ACL - they are.

I would NOT fire the rifle if you intend to dispute anything - it’s a pain but pull the trigger on a couple and it’s now used and “you’ve caused any damage”.

What do you want from a dispute?
Would a partial refund resolve the dispute? An offer of a fix?
A replacement? A refund ? These are the options available to the seller - not necessarily to you, so you need to decide your preference and push for that but seller can say here’s a postal return slip, here’s your refund - now bugger off...and that’s that.

I’d the shop give you the run around - do not be scared to lodge a claim with the courts. It’s bloody easy and doesn’t cost very much at all - and it tells them your not farking around.

Mate...i want the rifle...just not "this" rifle in what can rightfully be classed as "used cond"...
As i said, if they give me a refund it will cost me more as the price has gone up now...thats not fair...!! (Waaah :violin: )
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 5:04 pm

bigrich wrote:old bloke and taz have given you some good advice to mull over stix, i can't add anything better except to say i reckon it's a demo that's been in and out of a gun rack and handled by customers . and i reckon your right that they took advantage of you being a interstate customer . i've bought a few older second hand guns online and mostly they've been as described . unless it's something i really desire , i try to buy the gun that i've had in my hands rather than something brought in . my sympathies stix , i hope things work out for you . you can't directly name gunshops or smiths on the forum for bad behaviour , but if you can give us a clue i think a lot of us won't be doing business with the particular shop that's done this to you . :thumbsdown:

Thanks for your empathy Richo... :drinks:
Ill hold off on the clues for now...just gotta shoot out to grab some stuff for dinner...Later on ill see if i can crop out some pics of the bolt for you guys to see what you think...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Aug 2019, 5:44 pm

This situation sucks - but it seems to be coming more common and it pisses me off. If you do nothing, it tells them it’s fine to Fark ppl over, if you confront them, as you say - you get a refund, your out of a rifle and I bet they onsell it regardless hoping the next person does nothing...

If you do end up confronting the shop via email or written correspondence - start off being positive, mistakes happen, it’s unfortunate but you were rightfully expecting a pristine example - don’t be afraid to advise them that you’ve posted up queries on a well known aust gun forum with xxxx members, as to the validity of your concerns, and that you’d like to be able to post up details or a fair and equitable outcome to showcase their excellent customer service...

They might blow you away - they might actually say, s**t, we screwed up, we will sort it to what ever you want, etc - it does happen....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Aug 2019, 7:37 pm

Yeah Stix Tassie is right get in touch with the GS and see what they have to say for themselves then explain your thoughts to them if they get uptight then proceed and tell them you have photographed the rifle and are willing to do whatever it takes to get what you paid for and the thing about the price going to be the new one if you take action is not correct by the GS sending you the rifle sets in place they agreed on that price and you are entitled to a new unused rifle at that cost they have to replace it at that cost not the new price if in any chance you decided you didn't want that specific caliber than you would be required to pay the new price but not on a warranty claim for that existing rifle they've sent you whatever you do don't loose it and get them off side to start with and if all fails which I doubt will then you have some good info on this post thread to go to the next step and you have the photos as proof
Member-Deleted

Post by mickb » 10 Aug 2019, 7:51 pm

bigpete wrote:There there snookums.

I'll give you a free opinion anyway, learn to read the whole post Pete. :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Aug 2019, 8:16 pm

bigpete wrote:

Go fuk yourself...!!!!

There there snookums.

Yet your more than happy to ask for peoples opinions on lesser issues :unknown:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2019, 8:24 pm

Lol,geez you guys are touchy.
Stix has already worked out I was fishing. Looks like I caught a few too :D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 Aug 2019, 9:31 pm

ya did better with fishing than me pete. i put up a comment on the "vehicle parked in state forest" post about their must be gay shooters cause whose buying all the tacticool muzzle braked rifles in 308 and 6.5 man-bun :lol: (read the conversation in full please. it's cause of BFS and his gay pride rainbow stickers :lol: ) i didn't get one bite pete :unknown:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 10:44 pm

So i got no luck getting better pics down the bore...but here's a couple of the lugs & bolt face...

This makes it clear what sort of rifle it is, but it'd be good if we dont have to say it here...

So curious if people can tell if its been fired much ir not from these--(im guessing not--well i cant tell) but its clear its been racked & cocked a good few times...& clearly no effort been made to clean it up before sending off...
2020-01-08 21.33.15.jpg
2020-01-08 21.33.15.jpg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 4183 times

2020-01-08 21.35.45.jpg
2020-01-08 21.35.45.jpg (83.31 KiB) Viewed 4183 times

2020-01-08 21.34.36.jpg
2020-01-08 21.34.36.jpg (82.04 KiB) Viewed 4183 times

2020-01-08 21.34.17.jpg
2020-01-08 21.34.17.jpg (101.67 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
Last edited by Stix on 08 Jan 2020, 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Aug 2019, 11:00 pm

bigpete wrote:Lol,geez you guys are touchy.
Stix has already worked out I was fishing. Looks like I caught a few too :D

Arrrgghhh - I have a head injury...that’s my excuse ya fargin smokecock lol. Nice work. :drinks:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Aug 2019, 11:04 pm

Stix wrote:So i got no luck getting better pics down the bore...but here's a couple of the lugs & bolt face...

This makes it clear what sort of rifle it is, but it'd be good if we dont have to say it here...

So curious if people can tell if its been fired much ir not from these--(im guessing not--well i cant tell) but its clear its been racked & cocked a good few times...& clearly no effort been made to clean it up before sending off...

2019-08-10 21.54.35.jpg

20190810_135415-1.jpg

20190810_135423-1.jpg

Oh, it’s one of those rifles...lol. Still none the wiser here lol.
That black stuff on face - that looks like powder burn or carbon but you’d think there’d be additional marks if it were actually fired - but where has that come from? ....regardless, yeah - it’s easy to see that it’s far from brand new.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2019, 12:27 am

My guess is had a few through it. May be a box. Not 1 or 2

PS, include those pics in the email if you decide to complain
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles