Which chassis

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Which chassis

Post by andym79 » 10 Aug 2019, 3:53 pm

Hi guys I have a Howa 1500 and am looking to give it a new home.

I am looking at the MDT LSS and Oryx as wellas the KRG Bravo.

The Krg looks the best in my opinion.

Which chassis is the best value for money and what are the pros and cons of each?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Which chassis

Post by bladeracer » 10 Aug 2019, 5:43 pm

andym79 wrote:Hi guys I have a Howa 1500 and am looking to give it a new home.

I am looking at the MDT LSS and Oryx as well as the KRG Bravo.

The Krg looks the best in my opinion.

Which chassis is the best value for money and what are the pros and cons of each?

I can only speak for the LSS as I have seven of them, I don't have any of the others. I'm not interested in the appearance, but I like them for how they improve the rifle. I particularly like that my hunting rifles are all the same ergonomically and optically. I don't think they make the rifle any more accurate, but I definitely feel they make it easier to shoot accurately over the OEM polymer and lami stocks.

One minor mod I made to mine is to screw a pic rail to the left side for hanging a single-point sling hook - they all hang off the same sling. The ten-round ACIS mags work well and are cheap.

One potential pro is the ability to try different types of grips and stocks, including (in Victoria) folding stocks.

MDT do a Night Vision mount that screws on top of the chassis to mount NV in front of the scope, but I'm wanting to build a full-length rail that sits on there and extends further forward to mount open sights.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 10 Aug 2019, 8:16 pm

I have the Oryx and the Mdt Lss. The oryx is the the best value. I have one on a short action and one on a mini. I have no experience with the KRG.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 11 Aug 2019, 8:47 am

ive got the krg bravo stock for my howa and i find it comfortable the aluminium block the action sits in is well made and it goes all the way to the end of the forend but you cant go wrong with either of the chassis you listed i have a MDT HS3 on my tikka t3 in 308 and it shoots great.
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2019, 10:30 am

Cooper wrote:I have the Oryx and the Mdt Lss. The oryx is the the best value. I have one on a short action and one on a mini. I have no experience with the KRG.

Does the oryx have a front sling stud? Can’t see one in the photos
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 11 Aug 2019, 2:07 pm

in2anity wrote:
Cooper wrote:I have the Oryx and the Mdt Lss. The oryx is the the best value. I have one on a short action and one on a mini. I have no experience with the KRG.

Does the oryx have a front sling stud? Can’t see one in the photos

No. It has a tapped threaded hole in the front. Or you need a M-lok bi pod swivel stud attachment mount.
Also the Oryx is length of pull adjustments by spacers. It only comes with the one spacer fitted. The are probably the only two negatives.

It is also a bit heavy. But at that price point I’m prepared to overlook a couple negatives and it been slightly on the heavy side.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2019, 2:36 pm

Cooper wrote:No. It has a tapped threaded hole in the front. Or you need a M-lok bi pod swivel stud attachment mount.
Also the Oryx is length of pull adjustments by spacers. It only comes with the one spacer fitted. The are probably the only two negatives.

It is also a bit heavy. But at that price point I’m prepared to overlook a couple negatives and it been slightly on the heavy side.

Thanks. It seems Oryx has a stud attachment as an option https://oryxchassis.com/us/oryx-sling-s ... embly.html

I’m looking at a 223 or 204 target build for field positional target - it’ll be a lot more economical than the 30cals I’m currently using. I’m eying off the Howa Mini Action HB + Oryx. I need a solid stud for the m1907 sling I use.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Toppy91 » 12 Aug 2019, 8:59 pm

I have an ESS already and picked up an ACC today which will house the 6.5 Creed and the .223 will inherit the ESS. Haven't shot the ACC yet but I LOVE the ESS and from all accounts I shouldn't be disappointed. I held the Oryx though and for the money it seems great!
Toppy91
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles