303-270 Ammo

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

303-270 Ammo

Post by Bello » 26 Aug 2019, 11:40 am

Hello all

I am trying to find some ammunition for a 303-270. I have spoken to a few local gun shops with no help.
I wanted to float the question, where can I get some ammunition for this rifle. The ammunition is for plinking purposes.
It is a re-barrelled 303. It's in good condition. I don't have dies to re-load for it.
Any assistance would be welcome
Thanks
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 303-270 Ammo

Post by Bills Shed » 26 Aug 2019, 1:11 pm

If you reload, I would just get a set of dies.
Or
http://www.uniquemunitions.com/index

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 26 Aug 2019, 3:02 pm

here is another die set for easily making your own 303-270 cases and reloading
https://www.ozgunmart.com.au/simplex-ma ... 70-2027029
it is as easy as lubing a 303 case and running it through the 303-270 full length sizing die then reload :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Aug 2019, 3:59 pm

For 303-270 ammo, try Downs Guns and Ammo/Gold Coast Reloads at Warwick or Gold Coast Shooters Supplies(?) or Rebel in Brissie (I think). :)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Aug 2019, 5:34 pm

Rebel gun works sell dies them for $75
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Aug 2019, 5:56 pm

As RoginaJack said, Downs Guns and Ammo load 303-270 and other derivatives. Probably not cheap but neither is the old collectible stuff and being new would be more reliable. Price shouldn't be an issue if all you want is an occasional plink, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 26 Aug 2019, 7:36 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Rebel gun works sell dies them for $75

yes they do but they are 5/8 neck dies and are not the best to form the cases
but they also sell the simplex masters (7/8 dies) for $175 imo a good price
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/search ... 3-270+dies
the form die is not needed if you have a full length size die :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Aug 2019, 5:57 am

Mmm knew there would be a catch
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 27 Aug 2019, 6:40 am

I wouldn't say it's as easy as just running a lubed 303case into the fls die and reload! New brass, yes it should size down OK. But brass that's been fired, not annealed, no so easy.

Then you still have to check length and trim the necked down brass to the correct length. Necking down invariably lengthens the case neck.

It's still a relatively easy job making 303-270 cases from new 303Brit brass. As compared to making 256WinMag from 357Mag brass!
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2019, 1:16 pm

gunnnie wrote:I wouldn't say it's as easy as just running a lubed 303case into the fls die and reload! New brass, yes it should size down OK. But brass that's been fired, not annealed, no so easy.

Then you still have to check length and trim the necked down brass to the correct length. Necking down invariably lengthens the case neck.

It's still a relatively easy job making 303-270 cases from new 303Brit brass. As compared to making 256WinMag from 357Mag brass!

It should be as easy as running .303 brass into a .270 neck size. All brass is annealed otherwise it wouldn't grip the bullet. New Winchester brass though is likely to need annealing. I run .303 brass into a 6.5x52mm Carcano die to make 6.5x54R brass - very easy.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 27 Aug 2019, 1:59 pm

Yep, have had issues with new WW brass in the past. Generally, new brass has been annealed before sale.
If the OP is using once fired 303 brass though, he could run into issues with crumpling/creasing of the case necks. Or even collapsing the shoulder, if the brass has work hardened.
You'd think that sizing down from .224 to .204 would be straightforward, but it too can be problematic if the brass isn't soft enough.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2019, 6:34 pm

gunnnie wrote:Yep, have had issues with new WW brass in the past. Generally, new brass has been annealed before sale.
If the OP is using once fired 303 brass though, he could run into issues with crumpling/creasing of the case necks. Or even collapsing the shoulder, if the brass has work hardened.
You'd think that sizing down from .224 to .204 would be straightforward, but it too can be problematic if the brass isn't soft enough.

I've bought some various new Win brass the past few years and been thoroughly disappointed with it every damned time.
I've formed 6.5x54R from new S&B brass and also once-fired and several-times-fired brass with no lost cases at all - it's one of the easier formings I've found.
I think it does become more of a problem with small calibers simply due to the small area of brass in the circumference that has to take up the extra brass.

Annealing is rarely a bad idea when forming brass, but not always required.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 27 Aug 2019, 7:39 pm

gunnnie wrote:Yep, have had issues with new WW brass in the past. Generally, new brass has been annealed before sale.

I think you may be overthinking it gunnnie, I made 303-25 cases exactly the same, lube, full length size and load but I have never used brand new cases they have usually been shot quite a few times and because the 303 parent case is headspaced off the rim it does not matter if the case is a bit deformed, not that I have seen the cases deformed from lubing and full length sizing
it has always worked when I have done it this way :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 29 Aug 2019, 11:01 am

Not so much over thinking it, more like being a perfectionist!
Legacy of my profession over the past 38yrs.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bello » 29 Aug 2019, 11:30 am

Hi All
Thanks for your assistance with this issue.
I rang a gun shop here in Sydney about another issue I had, whilst waiting on the phone, I mentioned I needed some 303-270 (this is a gun shop I had previously rang and asked if they stocked this ammo, and they said they did not stock it) and guess what, he said "We stock that ammo here, we are out of it, but I will get some in for you."
So I now wait.

Thanks again for all who offered advice.

PS: RoginaJack, I contacted 'Downs Guns and Ammo' in QLD, they had some, but it was going to cost about $60 to get it to Sydney.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Aug 2019, 1:42 pm

Ouch but I suppose that's about standard freight costs for Ammo.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Mil_Surp » 16 Apr 2020, 12:17 am

Hi All

Great calibre. rebel Gunworks in QLD have S&B 303-270 brass for sale. I prefer to resize my own using once fired PPU 303 brass. Must neck trip after using Super simplex neck sizing die.

Anyone have any once fire PPU 303 or Winchester 303 I'm chasing some (up to 500 needed)

Kings

ADI have load data on their web site.
Mil_Surp
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles