CZ 505 Gibbs

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

CZ 505 Gibbs

Post by Baz460 » 26 Aug 2019, 8:08 pm

Safari Classic 505 Gibbs.
Heading of to the Territory to hunt Buff on Thursday, loaded up with 130 grains of 2213SC, 600 hundred grain Woodleigh PP soft nose's.
It will be interesting.
Cheers Baz.
Attachments
IMG_0381.jpg
IMG_0381.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 2898 times
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: CZ 505 Gibbs

Post by Bill » 26 Aug 2019, 8:36 pm

Good luck Baz, should be good conditions this time of year.

What part of the NT you huntin ?
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 26 Aug 2019, 9:07 pm

Baz460 wrote:Safari Classic 505 Gibbs.
Heading of to the Territory to hunt Buff on Thursday, loaded up with 130 grains of 2213SC, 600 hundred grain Woodleigh PP soft nose's.
It will be interesting.
Cheers Baz.

looks the same as mine!
yet too shoot mine yet loaded up some 525grain woodleigh softpoints and 525grain hornady solids on, 136 grains od AR2213SC and 600grain pp over 142.6grains of Ar2217
should be good fun !

also what optic are you using? worried about recoil destroying it?
Last edited by cracker on 26 Aug 2019, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 26 Aug 2019, 9:09 pm

Enjoy
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Baz460 » 27 Aug 2019, 9:45 am

Bill, will be hunting with Aaron Corbett out of Katherine. And the scope is a Leupold, I went with the Leupold because of warranty. I also used Talley QD mounts.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 27 Aug 2019, 12:55 pm

Yeah nice one Gaz, Arnhem Land is full of Buff. Should be interesting with the lack of rain.....hopefully easy to get onto the big ones

Give the loopy a good work out. I have talleys for my 500 A square but have held off on buying a scope
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 27 Aug 2019, 4:56 pm

Baz460 wrote:Bill, will be hunting with Aaron Corbett out of Katherine. And the scope is a Leupold, I went with the Leupold because of warranty. I also used Talley QD mounts.

went with a leupold turkey plex on my 458 lott, but it fell off, now just use open sights.
yeah QD mounts are a nice touch
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 27 Aug 2019, 5:01 pm

I used to run warne QD with leupold vari x III 1.5-5x 20 on my big guns, always held up well.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by duncan61 » 29 Aug 2019, 7:00 pm

One of the best experiences I have ever had was going on a Buffalo safari in Arnhem land.There was some good bits and not so good bits.I flew in to Darwin late afternoon and the guide and I had to hang around for another Hunter from Victoria which was fine then I gave up the front seat for the other guy and sat in the back.We drove through the night and turned up at the base camp early the next morning but my knees were in agony from being cooped up in the back so when we arrived I had a good walk then they want me to get back in the car I was not keen but complied anyhoo we get out a bit then all dismount and get set up to walk around the other 2 were getting on well and I was trailing behind them we get about 5 km from the car and I call a stop and ask what is going to happen if we see a Trophy Buffalo on the first day of a 5 days hunt and they say they will drop it and we take turns carrying the head between us.Not my idea of a good time so the next creek we come to I stop and do a bit of fishing while they went further out It was good to be on my own for a bit.They come back a few hours later and we go back to the vehicle then to the camp for some lunch that afternoon they are going to do it again but there was no way I was getting in the car again so they left and I went and shot a heron or crane type water bird with the single shot Hornet I had bought in the gun case with my 7mm.And explored the local creek we were camped on.I put in a small folding trap I had and every few hours I had these massive cherabin in it.I caught a heap of sooty grunter on red meat and they were big and excellent eating.Unfortunatly there are heaps of dead Johnson crocs all over the place as they get to 600mm-800m and they start eating canetoads and they die.Later on we found some isolated big deep rockbar pools on the main river and seen some much larger specimens.That night the guide was concerned and was pestering me to partake in the walking as it was probably a bad reflection on him where the paying hunter does not wish to go hunting so I agreed to do the morning hunt but not the afternoon again not far from the car we hit more of a river than a creek and I had some sooty fillets with me so I cut a tapered piece and put 2 snelled hooks in it and flipped it up the end of the pool and worked it back to me it got buzzed by something so I did it again and hooked a big Barramundi which was sensational it was very yellow and the flesh was full of mud and soft the sooties were way better eating and now I had 6 cherabin from the trap so I had a bit of a feast.the guys came back and we went back to camp.Day 3 and the main guide turned up with 2 Estonians that had come to hunt Buffalo.They were fascinating they were the largest people I have every seen and they drank 500ml aquavit vodka bottles like we drink stubbies and had raw onions for a snack.They had had enough the guide had dragged them all over the east coast shooting deer and pigs on a 21 day tour and this was the last thing but they were hot and just wanted to go back to Darwin and rent 3 prostitutes each so they shot a Buffalo each that day out the car and the next morning the boss took them to the airstrip and they left now I had the main guide to myself and things got more interesting.He explained how at the end of the dry the Buffalo are rounded up and sold back live to Indonesia and butchered at Darwin and the old cranky bulls can upset the whole process by getting away and leading the herd away and they only live about 10 years so the old bulls we see this year will probably be dead on the ground next season.There is plenty of dead stuff lying around and half the place is on fire.This bloke taught me heaps about walking in single file and stopping and then looking so we look like a tree.If 2 or 3 people are walking abreast you will scare everything.On the day the Estonians left he dropped me at a place called monster hole for the day and I threw the Barramundi frame in.I saw a massive Barramundi under a Pandanus branch but there was no where clear to toss a lure it was just like the paintings you see and the water was an electric turquoise colour I walked around the pool which was about 300 metres long and here is a salt crocodile with the Barramundi frame I threw in in its gob bit spooky and this thing took off in a big rush when it saw me.The guide picked me up and asked if I wanted to go get a pig.He knew a swamp that usually had pigs around he seen one straight away but I could not see it I was looking for a pig shape but it was in the mud and only the head and shoulders were visible.I got down on the bipod and put the crosshairs on its shoulder and boom one dead pig.I went out and dragged it back to the bank and cut the jaws of with a woodsaw.Then some weird stuff started he asked me if I wanted to camp there the night and we had nothing with us so I said no thanks then going back to camp he wanted to stop and fill the water bottles at a creek but now its dark and we are blundering around with Buffalo scrub bulls and snakes to deal with a bit of madness.Back at camp the other guys had shot a massive Buffalo the horns were almost straight and about 43 inches across so the drinks flowed day 4 and the boss and I spent the day hunting and I really enjoyed it.Mid morning we spotted a small bull and the boss got in the creek line and waved a branch around and mad snorting noises and it came over to see what was going on and I was behind a tree and it walked straight past I could of touched it.We caught sooties for lunch and had a swim or 2 and walked around a bit we get back to the car and 100 metres down the track here is a big bull so we dismount then the boss explained where to plug it and the fun began.I took the shot then stood there grinning and he into me to keep plugging it so I put the next 3 out the mag in it then went to get my brass but he picked it up and told me reload and get closer and do it again it went down but got up again so I closed to about 50 metres and put 3 more in it.I only had 2 left so I closed to about 20 metres and put one more in the chest and the last one in its spine and it went down for good the horns were curved and were 36 inches.The last day we went pigging and dropped a heap then next day we hooked up the trailers and got out of there
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 04 Sep 2019, 8:26 pm

how was the trip
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by cracker » 08 Sep 2019, 10:32 am

shot mine on the 29th of last month before i went on holiday.
holly crap its powerful, recoil is intense and much harder to manage then the 458 lott.

600grain projectiles over 142.6grains of Ar2217 were brutal.

going to need alot of practice as iv developed a horrid flitch due to it beating me up so much towards the end... in saying that i let off about 25 shots in the space of 20 mins.
managed to hit a couple of 150mm long pieces of 90x45 pine timber at about 30yards... the exploded and took off into the distance i wasnt able to find all of it.

threw the target stand over backwards hitting the gong...standard...

super keen to get out and try it again just need to load up some more rounds.

no signs of over pressure what so ever on the cases which is crazy theres alot left in the big old .505 gibbs yet... perhaps not me though
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Sep 2019, 11:05 am

Wow 25 shots in one session. I thought I was brave shooting five in a row. Makes a 416 Rigby feel like a pussy cat. Well done.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 11 Sep 2019, 11:21 am

How was it Baz
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia