For the brains trust. .. Rossi Model 67 Lever action 357

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

For the brains trust. .. Rossi Model 67 Lever action 357

Post by CrackThump » 31 Aug 2019, 10:21 am

Gday guys.

I recently purchased a second hand Rossi lever gun in 357 from the LGS, the price tag called is a "model 67" .. the rego paper from firearms branch designates it as a "model 67" .. but the only thing I can find on the webernets about a "model 67" is a handgun..

Id like to look up maybe an owners manual, instructions for use and maintenance, spec sheet etc etc ... but Im pulling a total blank.

I wondered if maybe its been mis-labeled and its actually a model 92 in disguise.?

Rossi website serial number lookup was no help.. maybe this rifle doesnt actually exist. ?

Its a stainess steel, carbine barrel, wood stock (if that makes any difference.)

If anyone has any advice on where i could look, or any knowledge or Rossi lever guns, I would be ever so grateful for some hints..

Cheers everyone, have a good weekend.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: For the brains trust. .. Rossi Model 67 Lever action 357

Post by wrenchman » 31 Aug 2019, 10:30 am

post a pic
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blr243 » 31 Aug 2019, 11:42 am

I never heard of a Rossi 67
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 31 Aug 2019, 11:53 am

Hey did you for notice a sadle ring. on one side of it . If you did it may be .
Rossi Model 67 Puma .357 Mag Cal Saddle Ring Lever Action Carbine w/ 20"
hints for diagrames sort though this lot google
Rossi Model 67 Blued Underlever .357 Rem Mag parts diagram
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by CrackThump » 31 Aug 2019, 4:14 pm

Heres a couple of photos.. :P

no saddle ring.

It has "made in brazil by taurus" etched behind the hammer, but (suprise suprise) the taurus website was no use either :P
Attachments
20190831_155313.jpg
20190831_155313.jpg (956.75 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
20190831_155256.jpg
20190831_155256.jpg (905.41 KiB) Viewed 5004 times
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by N.Field » 31 Aug 2019, 7:06 pm

Model 67 appears in a couple of ads I googled up:

https://www.icollector.com/Rossi-Model- ... _i24426789

http://onlineshop.westerngunsandmore.de ... -20-357mag

http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/proddetai ... =ROL6750SS

For more info you could try Paco Kelly's Lever Guns. They have a Rossi expert who goes by Nate Kiowa Jones who should have the answers:
https://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewforum.php?f=1
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 31 Aug 2019, 8:48 pm

It is a copy of the Winchester 92. Search Rossi 92 Stainless .357
Hit and miss reputation, often the internals and action need a bit of slicking up. Otherwise a pretty faithful reproduction of the Winchester.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by mickb » 01 Sep 2019, 5:26 am

I asked the same thing on the rossi forums about the strange model numbers.

Model 67 appears to be an Aussie domestic import label applied just the last year or two for what is the standard Model 1892 by Rossi.( Edit, this was corrected by Pomemax below, while it is indeed the same 1892 for a while it was released as other model numbers)

I own a rossi 1892 in 357 too, which was marketed as the model Rossi 1892 when I got it. I can never remember the correct order but they have been named Taurus and Puma at various times as well. As mentioned they can be great or a bit rough, and its usually trial and error whether they will feed the shorter 38 specials or very wide meplat flat points. I got lucky with mine and it feeds everything. If they won't feed 38 special and you are using that brass you can just seat the bullet out to match the longer 357 loaded length. There is a 1892 guru in the US as mentioned above who puts out a DVD on smoothing Rossi actions if you want to turn one into a cowboy action race gun. 38 special loads or 357 loaded down you can load cast bullets from 750-850fps with just 2-3 grains of powder which is not much louder than 22LR.( CCI stinger in 22LR for example has 2.6 grains of powder in the case for comparison)

The barrel lengths are 16, 20 and 24" . Capacity is 8, 10 and 12. The 16 and 20 are round barrels and very lighweight guns, the 24" is a heavy octagonal, unhistorically heavy for the record as modern versions do not have the taper of the originals, and are quite muzzle heavy, The bigger calibres take some meat out of the octagonal barrel which keeps weight down. The 24" parallel sided octagonal in 357, which I own, is quite a muzzle heavy little pig.

The twist on the rossis is slow, aka 1:30 for all calibres( marlins are even slower, the win 1873's are faster at about 1:18), so the rossies will prefer bullets on the lighter side of 180 grains the best. I believe the barrel is internally.356 and with the often insane variations between lever action brands, ( some 44's vary from .429 to .434 for example) the rossis are pretty good in this regard.

The main advantages of the action are its slim lines, being about the lightest and handiest lever action, and extreme action strength, probably the strongest lever action. The yanks have pushed this action to 50,000PSI, 158 grain bullets into the low 2000's, knocking on 30-30 territory. The action was also used for a limited run of 454 casull, an even higher pressure cartridge and a limited run of 100 units of 480 ruger. The other calibre it comes in is 44 mag/44 special. For cowboy shooting rapid fire its rated as slower than model 94's, faster than model 73 's stock, but of course with a short stroke kit the 73's will clean everything up.

For those zombies takeovers, you will see on the yank survival forums the rossi in 357 has a fair showing of votes after stuff like AR's. Slimline, very light, quick handling and matched with handguns in the same calibre. 357 is only slightly heavier than loaded 223 but packs tighter than 223 in ammo cans so you can carry about the same in the field.. Its under 2/3 the loaded weight of 308..Also as mentioned for small game loads like an oversized 22LR you can load 2.5 grain loads and cast bullets so its near 3000 rounds to a pound of powder. Case life into the dozens of firings at such low pressure. This load is still equivalent to 38 special handgun so its no pushover , still able to kill people sized....well zombies ;)

John wayne was a big fan of the model 1892, and as a result he carried it into movies depicting earlier eras than 1892. Some of the yanks even joke the Model 92 is the gun John Wayne won the civil war with. :D
Last edited by mickb on 01 Sep 2019, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 01 Sep 2019, 7:48 am

i had a rossi '92 , stainless 20" barrel in 357 . very accurate with the factory open sights, but i cut the "horns" off and it was better to use . great trigger and it was quite slick and solid in the action. it didn't have the top mounted safety. reasons i got rid of it , VERY short length of pull ( i'm 196cm tall ) , poor qaulity timber stock that had a big crack down the inside of it . if you get a good one , and the length of pull is right for you, they are a great lever gun :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 01 Sep 2019, 12:58 pm

Taurus produced its first revolver, the Model 38101SO, in 1941 In 1971 the Bangor Punta Corporation, then the parent company of Smith & Wesson, purchased 54 percent of Forjas Taurus, allowing the two firearms manufacturers to easily share information regarding design and manufacturing.
In 1977, Taurus was purchased from Bangor Punta by its current owners, and its ties to Smith & Wesson were severed.
In 1997 Forjas Taurus purchased the rights & equipment to manufacture Rossi brand revolvers. Amadeo Rossi SA (or simply Rossi), founded in 1889 in São Leopoldo, Brazil, is a Brazilian arms manufacturer.
Rossi produces pistols and revolvers used by both civilians and security forces, and exports worldwide. The production line of revolvers and handguns was acquired by Taurus.
Rossi currently produces only hunting rifles, shotguns and traditional line of Puma rifles. Rossi was founded in Brazil by Amadeo Rossi in 1889. The company is still run by the Rossi family and manufactures its firearms in Sao Leopoldo, Brazil
Although Winchester produced the M 1892 and its derivatives M 53 and M 65 by the millions, there never seem to have been enough of them. For there is no other explanation as to why the Spanish company GarateY Anitua started work on a version for police officers, foresters, prison guards and hunters, later known as “El Tigre”, as early as 1915 – in numbers easily comparable to those of Winchester . And when in the following decades the North Americans still continued to ignore the global demand for new 1892s, the company Amadeo Rossi, founded in 1889 in São Leopoldo in the Brazilian federal state of Rio Grande do Sul, occupied this niche: As early as 1976, thus ten years earlier than assumed for a long time, they launched their 1892 copy
This offshoot of the M 1892 has since branched out into a variegated range with designations such as M 65, M 67 or M 77. However, among CAS shooters these are mostly referred to under the umbrella term of Puma. This is because Rossi initially used to brand its copies of the Winchester M 1892 on the left side of the receiver with a coin-like badge representing a cougar head.
Since 1997, ROSSI has belonged to the likewise Brazilian Group Forjas Taurus SA, headquartered in Porto Alegre, but it has never given up production of its Pumas. On the contrary, nowadays Taurus/Rossi is unquestionably the world’s largest manufacturer of this type of repeaters. And anyway – the term copy is not quite appropriate. . This is supported by the range comprising calibres the likes of which the Winchester M 1892 has never had: The originals came in .25-20, .32-20, .38-40 and .44-40 Winchester and .218 Bee
Rossi's products, by contrast, range from .38 Special and .357 Magnum through .44-40 Winchester and .44 Magnum to .45 Colt, .454 Casull and .480 Ruger. And while Winchester’s products were mostly restricted to blued designs, the Rossi range additionally includes varieties in more practical stainless steel finish
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 01 Sep 2019, 3:54 pm

Great history lesson pomemax, I consider myself a fan of rossis but quite a few things I didnt know there. Eg why the model 67 moniker surfaces in connection with the 1892. Funnily, on one of the larger lever action forums I asked on, no one was sure.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Supaduke » 02 Sep 2019, 8:08 pm

20190830_200206.jpg
Win 92
20190830_200206.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 4839 times

Here's my Winchester 92 just for comparison. Also in .357mag, Japanese.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 02 Sep 2019, 11:46 pm

mickb wrote:Great history lesson pomemax, I consider myself a fan of rossis but quite a few things I didnt know there. Eg why the model 67 moniker surfaces in connection with the 1892. Funnily, on one of the larger lever action forums I asked on, no one was sure.

I sent an email to rossi and asked why the 67 ect lets see if they reply
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Sep 2019, 2:19 am

I've owned a Rossi "Puma" '92 in .357M since the '80s. Mine is the "Saddle Ring Carbine" and I bought it at the same time as two friends based on a SSAA magazine review thinking we were going after pigs.
All three went back with headspace issues. They would blow the base off factory new ammo - no chance of reloading. All three were re-barreled under warranty and mine has never missed a beat since. It seems they sorted that issue out.
It is a smooth action and as accurate as open sights and ballistics allow. Light as can be and could carry it all day if necessary. Does the job carried in a holster on a motorbike for use on young goats for the table.
A little tricky to pull apart and reassemble if you want to go there but the interweb is an amazing resource if you are inclined to put in the time.
As far as support goes, It took me nearly two years to source an ejector about twenty years ago (I broke mine by being stupid - don't ask - watch "True Grit" - the old one) and the Australian distributor was either not interested in or not capable of assisting. I have a file maybe an inch thick of correspondence on the matter.
I've seen quite a few in recent years and nobody has raised any issues so I'd have no hesitation buying a modern version today.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by CrackThump » 03 Sep 2019, 5:38 pm

I knew I was in good hands here. :) god DAMN you guys are good.

Thank you for all the responses and the lessons.

Prior to buying this rifle, the little Id heard about Leverguns in general was 50/50 good and bad. and the same seems to hold true from what you guys have been saying.

I think maybe I lucked out on this one, being secondhand, or maybe someone else just did all the legwork sorting out the bugs lol but in the month that Ive owned it, maybe 200 rounds through it, its never failed to feed or fire either 357 or 38, shoots straight and is a heapin helpin whole lotta fun :P The length of pull is a bit small for a 6 footer like me, but its light and easy to throw around.

Go the little Rossi
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 04 Sep 2019, 5:39 pm

Glad your enjoying it crack thump. In my experience with Rossis, which is only recent years, it seems the issues they throw up are not deal killers. The action design itself is sound and strong, and the metallurgy is good enough you can usually work on any iffy areas . Just remember the shorter 38 case can leave a ring of carbon in the chamber and if left too long without cleaning can prevent 357 from chambering.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by gunnnie » 04 Sep 2019, 8:00 pm

I also have a Rossi Mod92 Puma saddle-ring carbine though mine is chambered in 44-40. Compared to the several original Winchester Mod92's I have , the Rossi is a pretty bloody good rig! One advantage of the Rossi compared to the two Winchester 44-40's, is the bore diameter. The older Mod92 has a bore of .430", the other at .431" where as the Rossi is .428".

This allows me to use the 400-odd 200gn JSP projo's I have.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles