Fella struggling with 30-06 off the bench

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Fella struggling with 30-06 off the bench

Post by marksman » 07 Sep 2019, 11:25 am

Oldbloke wrote:
You shoot the 30-06 in order to test it. And hand him 22LR or 222 to test him.

That’s probably the best advice on this post I think from the sounds of the OP’s original post it’s a combination of ego to start of on a 30-06 and pride that the guy won’t listen to the posters advice. I got back into shooting two years ago after a 30 year break, and 22lr was my first purchase. One thing that I reckon helped me was shooting a light weight CVA scout in 45-70 offhand and off the bench, busting clays at 50 and 100 just for giggles. After that everything else seemed mild :D

+1 :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 07 Sep 2019, 3:04 pm

When I first started culling roos I tried to train up a couple of guys to be part of the business but the first bloke developed a flinch with a .243 and was hitting about 30 percent of the roos he lined up and all the shots were less than 80 metres and the other guy could not get 3 shots close enough to zero the scope properly then I found out he was belting a heap of beer before we would go out
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 07 Sep 2019, 4:13 pm

I’m the same as BLR, 47 and no interest in shooting 30 cal.
I’ve shot them before and didn’t enjoy.
Maybe this bloke the OP was referring to should just shoot the caliber he gets fun out of.
No one is impressed or even gives a sh:t what caliber anyone else is using.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2019, 6:08 pm

I have seen soldiers using a SLR shoot at a 100 metre figure eight target and not hit it at all with a full magizene. A few years ago now.

More recently I sat next to a guy with an Accuracy International chambered in 338 and his target at 100 looked like it was hit with a shotgun.

Go to any range and you will see some pretty ordinary targets, some of them may have been shot at 50m.[/quote]

Sure the distance in the post was 50 meters not 100, yes i have also seen lots at 100 but never 300mm at 50 and they had it hitting paper, not as though it was a sight in issue, so a 300mm group has me dumbfounded, new recruits in the Army start at 50.
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Sep 2019, 7:52 pm

If you want less felt recoil just use the lightest projectile available in the cal you are using, or use lighter loads or trail boss etc, just get the cal working for your particular needs or if that doesn't suit just get a cal that's a bit easier on the shoulder - felt recoil in the bigger cals is more noticeable as a rule when shooting off a bench, it's not as noticeable out in the field shooting off hand as a rule and you are usually only letting off one or maybe 2 shots in a row as a rule.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by nightforcenxs » 07 Sep 2019, 8:53 pm

as everyone else has said maybe drop the loads down i found hunching over at the bench just makes the rifle drive into your shoulder i shot my 375 H&H off the bench yesterday did 7 shots but i was sitting straight up and down so my body could move back with recoil. also shot 50 308 and 50 223 that day with no sore shoulder. as for groups being huge it can happen i invited a friend once who had never shot started them on the 223 and they were shooting 3 inch groups at 50 yards from flinching so bad so it can happen
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Sep 2019, 6:15 pm

there's a reason that 22lr rifles are a essential addition to every safe, their a valuable training tool ! maybe to help some proud and ego aware folks, a 22 magnum could be used as the "magnum" tag on the end sounds more manly :lol: i've seen newbies on the bench at the range struggling with 6.5 man bun tacticool rifles when they should be learning on a 22lr . ahh well. it's makes for some interesting "three stooges" scenes sometimes :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles