Scope and rail for 30/30 94 Winchester advice.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Scope and rail for 30/30 94 Winchester advice.

Post by FarmerJoe » 07 Sep 2019, 4:52 pm

First post, Thankyou for having me.
I am a farmer with 3 guns in the safe... .22 ,, double barrel shotgun,, 30/30 model 94 Winchester..
I don't do a lot of shooting ,, but I have a question regarding the 30/30 model 94 , (top eject, with semi buckhorn open sights), with the aim of installing a small optic , (scope).

As we know, the top eject does not lend itself to be scoped …
But just recently after googling , I came across , "Dr Pearson No Drill Tactical Rails for Model 94 Winchester".. (Google to see Product).. Shipped to Aus, would be approx. $120 ..

Seems to be an easy install, and a big improvement over the side mounted scope and drilling .
As the old eyes are not what they used to be , it seems to fit the bill if I want to install an optic .
Gun will be used on roo's , and the occasional pig, with ranges of 50 -- 100 meters .

If anyone has used the product and has any advice it would be appreciated ….

Cheers Fellas …...
FarmerJoe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Scope and rail for 30/30 94 Winchester advice.

Post by Strikey » 08 Sep 2019, 1:07 pm

A scope on a top eject Mod 94 is going to be a pain in the arse, if you are only shooting out to 100m I would recommend looking at fitting either a Williams receiver mounted aperture sight, knock those rear buckhorn sights out as they are and always were useless, this is the best thing I did for my 94 and my eyes aren't the best :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 08 Sep 2019, 2:09 pm

I honestly believe you would be better off putting your money into a bolt action and scope :unknown:
dont get me wrong I like the win 94's and have put the old side mount for a scope on one years ago but was not impressed with it
this mount although I have no experience with it will make your rifle into a scout that is great for quick close shots
for shooting roos I would be looking at a 222 or 223 with a scope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmjt7fhVk0
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 Sep 2019, 2:21 pm

I would buy a second hand scoped 222 or 223 it will be cheaper to run and be able to take Roos at 200 m ..a scoped 30 30 Cant do that
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2019, 4:10 pm

FarmerJoe wrote:First post, Thankyou for having me.
I am a farmer with 3 guns in the safe... .22 ,, double barrel shotgun,, 30/30 model 94 Winchester..
I don't do a lot of shooting ,, but I have a question regarding the 30/30 model 94 , (top eject, with semi buckhorn open sights), with the aim of installing a small optic , (scope).

As we know, the top eject does not lend itself to be scoped …
But just recently after googling , I came across , "Dr Pearson No Drill Tactical Rails for Model 94 Winchester".. (Google to see Product).. Shipped to Aus, would be approx. $120 ..

Seems to be an easy install, and a big improvement over the side mounted scope and drilling .
As the old eyes are not what they used to be , it seems to fit the bill if I want to install an optic .
Gun will be used on roo's , and the occasional pig, with ranges of 50 -- 100 meters .

If anyone has used the product and has any advice it would be appreciated ….

Cheers Fellas …...

I have the Weaver Side Mount rail and rings for mine, just for load development. Haven't installed it yet as I have to remove the Lyman peep sight to do so.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FarmerJoe » 09 Sep 2019, 5:11 pm

Thanks for your replies,,
After some more thought and more googling , I am going to order the Pearson No drill Tactical rail..
Reasons,, 1 . As I am a lefty, the side mount Weaver mount would be a PITA ,, Also as it is side mounted , the windage could be a problem at different distances due to the line of sight different to the the bore.
2. A peep sight could suit some ,, but I have settled on a scout scope or red dot .
3. I could just buy another rifle and not mess with the 3030 , (as mentioned 223). But I have only a 3 gun safe, and that would make 4,, and if I bought another gun I would still keep the 3030 , as it has sentimental value, (grandfather bought it for me).. Its there,, will do the job, so why not use it..

The only negative I have heard regarding the Pearson tactical rail is, (and this is only hearsay on the internet), is that you may loose zero because of the mount fixings are not sturdy enough due to recoil... It is fixed 1. to left side with factory screw,,, 2. After rear sight is removed , fixed to the dovetail notch, locked down by screw... 3. The front of the mount is secured by a screw locked down to the barrel ..
Number 3 seems to be where some have an issue with the Pearsons mount.... The feeling is, the front of the mount should be secured with a drill and tapped screw fixing....
Anyway in the US they seem to be happy with the product ,,, and lets face it ,,, it is the home of the Turdy Tudy Winchester .....

When it's all said and done, I'll come back and give a review ....
Cheers ....
FarmerJoe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2019, 5:52 pm

When you zero an offset scope, zero it offset. If it's offset 30mm left of bore axis, zero it 30mm left of point of aim, then it'll be 30mm left regardless of range. At close range you can effectively ignore the 30mm, and at longer ranges you can hold 30mm right of your target.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles