T3 case ejection.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

T3 case ejection.

Post by Stix » 08 Sep 2019, 9:28 am

Is it possible (&easy enough) to change the direction the case is ejected on a Tikka T3...?

My T3 in 204 ejects the cases forward, & this is most annoying as i mostly use this rifle at night from the drivers seat, so even racking the rifle over still sends the case out the window.
I figured this was just how the ejection worked on the action for the small 223 type cases... :unknown:

I have other T3's (308 lenth mag & stops) that eject the case backwards with a little elevation, straight back into my hand, which is great as i can empty 3 shots in quick succession & catch all the cases in my hand operating the bolt... :clap:

Ive since seen another guys stock T3 in 204 that unlike mine, ejects the case backwards...this rifle is a varmint, where as mine is a sporter--although this shouldnt make the difference...

So not being at all experienced in the intricacies of ejection, thought id ask if its possible to change the direction of ejection on my rifle, & if its easy enough to do...or if im just stuck with regularly loosing cases out the window...?...?...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: T3 case ejection.

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Sep 2019, 10:03 am

My 223 would turn the case around and leave it in the action if I cycled the bolt gently, I asked my smith about it and he did something to the extractor and it now flicks them out sideways. Could you take the extractor off and give it a good clean and see what it does then?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 08 Sep 2019, 11:13 am

I guess i can give it a go...

Its done it since new, & it was clean then, so my assumption is that it wouldnt make a difference...

If i eject gently mine will also flips the case...i try & catch the case with my left hand being gentle with the bolt & exactly that happens...i end up having to tip & shake the case out...very frustrating when another shot is needed...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Sep 2019, 11:17 am

put ya hand over the port and catch it, that's all I ever do with any of my rifles when spotlighting.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blr243 » 08 Sep 2019, 6:06 pm

I don’t shoot from a vehicle but I do love to collect my brass along the way , There’s a part of us that for some reason “we must find that case.” If you don’t end up finding a solution forget it and move on with the hunt. Sometimes we just have to let it go. Otherwise we are sort of losing sight of why we are there in the first place
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Sep 2019, 11:35 am

Try wearing some shorts when shooting, the rifle will magically start ejecting hot cases towards your legs - happens without fail :)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2019, 5:48 pm

Im still peed off. Lost a 223 case in grass 2yrs ago while whistling foxes. Been back looking for it twice now. :unknown:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Sep 2019, 5:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Im still peed off. Lost a 223 case in grass 2yrs ago while whistling foxes. Been back looking for it twice now. :unknown:

Got a metal detector? :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blr243 » 09 Sep 2019, 6:12 pm

Once at Moonie I was walking along amongst the melon holes and lime bush. Then in front of me I saw in the black soil a tarnished 243 shell. I picked it up and pocketed it to be reloaded later It’s sort of a nice funny feeling wondering if it was mine in the first place that I lost there many years ago
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles