6.5 Grendel Who has one?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 6.5 Grendel Who has one?

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2019, 6:49 am

madang55 wrote "Supposed to be 1.8" high at 100 and zero at 200", yeah mate, that's how you should have sighted it. By sighting 1.8" high at 100, the bullet will travel on an upward trajectory path that should give a 200m zero on it's way back down. By sighting in for zero @ 100, you put the bullet on a downward trajectory from the get-go.
If you want a rifle to shoot out further than 100 without hold-over, you have to sight it to print high at 100, no matter what cartridge you use. The higher it prints at 100, the further out the zero. Do some reading on " maximum point blank range".
To use the potential of the Grendal, using data for the 123gr bullet travelling @ 2450f/s, sight it 2.5" high at 100 yards for a useful 200 yard zero and a drop of about 4" @ 250 yards. In use, for anything the size of the deer you are chasing, out to 250 yards, you just put the cross-hair in the middle of the vitals and pull the trigger.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Nov 2019, 6:51 am

madang55 wrote: My 1st thoughts are that the Grendel, whilst a credibly accurate 6.5, doesn't have the powder capacity of the Creedmore so the lighter proj are going to be flatter and harder hitting. Yes? No?

Shoot flatter, yes over short ranges. Hit harder, not nessessarily. The bigger bullet has more mass but a little less speed. The Grendel is very efficient at moving 100 to 130 grain bullets.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 15 Nov 2019, 6:55 am

Yeap I consider it a 200m deer rifle, if you hit a little too far back the result is the same everytime.

I hit a mature Rusa hind about 6 inches too far back with a 25/08 110gr accubond and the deer still ran 250m and tried to hide in long grass.

100gr Nosler BT and Speer 90gr TNT both have reputations as reliable game getters and can be driven at around 3000fps even in a short barrel.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 15 Nov 2019, 8:53 am

SCJ429 wrote:Extra speed is an advantage to a point, shoot something in the guts with a 6.5/378 Waetherby and it will still run off. The Grendel is most effective if combined with shot placement and moderate distances.

The Grendel is more than credibility accurate and will shoot inside the Creedmoor under most conditions.

You have done well and bagged two deer with yours, paid for itself.
Thanks for the up-grade, 1st shot hit, 2nd shot intended to make sure of the 1st actually missed. I might reload a few of the 123's and see if I can get them a bit flatter than the factory loads which were not great.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 16 Nov 2019, 10:00 pm

By the way, I would love a Bell n Carlson stock M40 mini action...... lotsa sites advertise them, however, they aint available. I looked, I asked, I emailed. They are not yet available in Australia. You can order them, 12 - 14 weeks, no problem. I even looked at getting one thru Canada. Nope....I am in a unique situation, If I get desperate enough, I will go get one. It will be one heck of a shopping trip. But, for the time being, the Bell and Carlson for Howa Mini Action M40 6.5 Grendel not available in OZ. Please tell me I'm wrong and I will bare my nether regions.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wannabustbunnies » 17 Nov 2019, 6:24 am

madang55 wrote:By the way, I would love a Bell n Carlson stock M40 mini action...... lotsa sites advertise them, however, they aint available. I looked, I asked, I emailed. They are not yet available in Australia. You can order them, 12 - 14 weeks, no problem. I even looked at getting one thru Canada. Nope....I am in a unique situation, If I get desperate enough, I will go get one. It will be one heck of a shopping trip. But, for the time being, the Bell and Carlson for Howa Mini Action M40 6.5 Grendel not available in OZ. Please tell me I'm wrong and I will bare my nether regions.

Are you talking about the new sporter variant that just got released or the one that came out earlier in the year?
That shop near Brisbane was where I got mine from. I contacted them in April after I first saw the M40 stock was released. I was told that would be a special order initially but then a few days later received an update they would be listed on their website and be available in about 8 weeks. I received mine in July.
Attachments
received_904486519909232.jpeg
received_904486519909232.jpeg (204.84 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 17 Nov 2019, 5:42 pm

M40 Mini Action. Everyone was showing them but no one could supply under 12 weeks. I wasnt prepared to hand over my money for that sort of wait. Sporter variant? Haven't seen that one. Where, who? Will have to have a look
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 17 Nov 2019, 5:47 pm

Just had a look and found the Sporter, Listed at the same price. Will make further inquiries re the M40 though as I like it betterer. Thanks
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wannabustbunnies » 17 Nov 2019, 9:08 pm

The price they are charging for the M40 stock now is more than I paid unfortunately. Not sure why the price would be that much different to the other M40 stocks that they list.
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 18 Nov 2019, 8:27 am

Howa 6.5 Grendel,Mini Action......I have the rifle, I want a decent stock. Bell and Carlson fits the need. Don't like Boyds, really don't like the "skeleton stocks". I just refuse to hand over money for a 3 month wait. What I'm saying is if they advertise it, it means they have it and can supply it. (within a reasonable time) That or take orders with a token non-refundable deposit and I'm fine with that. Precious, maybe, but its the principle. I just ordered a Bullet Puller Collet which came from the states. I was told 3 weeks, and 2 weeks 3 days later I have it. Why does it take 12 weeks for anything else?
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 18 Nov 2019, 7:40 pm

Have an answer back from Brisbane, in stock, 5 weeks, or thereabouts. I have asked for a price delivered to Melbourne
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wannabustbunnies » 18 Nov 2019, 10:02 pm

Delivery was around $25 with some projectiles and other bits for me. Should ask them how come the price has gone up $120 too
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles