Cz/brno 22 hornet break in

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Cz/brno 22 hornet break in

Post by Leadspitter » 25 Sep 2019, 11:09 am

G day fellas ,

I have the cz 527 22hornet now , won it in a raffle , happy days. My first centrefire.

I have been tinkering with it learning my way around it.

Magazine was scratching cases , so dressed lips with sandpaper , improved it.

Rounds not sliding vertically all the way up in bolt head especially last round.
So I dressed the extractor a little with diamond lap but not too much

My guess is that the ppu ammo i am using is largest overall case size and that perhaps some american ammo will be looser fit and slide up easier .

I will buy some orher ammo to check

Any info on feeding from mag appreciated

Thanks guys.
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Cz/brno 22 hornet break in

Post by Bills Shed » 25 Sep 2019, 10:02 pm

I too have the 527 in Hornet, buy a couple of magazines when you can find them.
As you did, clean up the magazine lips, check if the rifle will chamber and you can close the bolt on a single round NOT fed from the magazine (hand fed). If not, you can mod the extractor so that it rides over the rim.
Remove burrs from the extractor claw.
Shoot heaps
Have fun
Reload plenty.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Leadspitter » 26 Sep 2019, 12:44 pm

Good to hear from you bill.

I was having trouble single round feeding from ejection port.

I have found if i pull bolt all the way back and insert round touching bolt face then push firward most rounds will feed ok.

The ppu ammo with blunt soft points hang up a bit at the chamber end

The winchester ammo with ballistic tips feed 99% of the time.

The winnies have a slight chamfer on the case head and feed better up and under the extractor.

Inserting a case in the breech and and closing the bolt over the case with winnies easy, however the ppu ammo without the chamfer were really tough the first cuple of times, something must have shifted cause while still firm not as bad as the first couple of times

I tried this with firing pin removed
Storing mag with 5 rounds loaded as spring is a bit tight.

Overall while not feeding perfectly has definitely loosened up a bit abd i am learning to be firm with her.

Will the trigger settings change with break in ?

Thanks bill.
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 26 Sep 2019, 2:04 pm

I hope you realise that the CZ527 Hornet is a "Mini Mauser" design, in such it is a "Control Round" feed and was never designed to be a "Push Feed". It wants to pick up a round from the magazine and have the rim rise from underneath onto the bolt face then forward. When it's new it will be tight loading a round. You can help a bit by pushing the rear of the bolt with your thumb and keep the bolt feeding "Inline" rather than tipping ever so slight as the round is chambered. It will get better over time and use.
Personally, I would have not touched the Extractor Claw it will get better over time but it will never be as smooth as a Push Feed design. It will always be clunky.
I have had a CZ527 Hornet for some years and used a number of different brand cases without a problem fed from the magazine, just don't pussy foot with it.
Accuracy wise with factory ammo and/or bullets over 40gr have been average, it's a Hornet. However when you get to reloading you can turn it into something very accurate by using the correct components like Small Pistol Primers, crimping bullets in to increase initial firing pressure and seating depth for a start.
Using 1MOA Factory Ammo can turn quickly into better than 1/2MOA accuracy with a few tweeks, especially quality lighter weight bullets of the correct design.
The old school short round nose so called Hornet Bullets are far from ideal these days but the better quality, well they cost more.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 26 Sep 2019, 3:41 pm

Yes the earlier 527 were a controlled feed and with my earlier 22H I could not close the bolt if I chambered a round by hand. There was a change at a later date and this has now been changed. My 17H 527 does not have this issue and the extractor rides over the rim easily as it was designed to do. Even has this as a option in the user manual.
Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 26 Sep 2019, 3:47 pm

control round feed when tweaked can load an empty case straight from the magazine into the chamber
study the feed lips and how they position the case as it feeds
a bit of bending and polishing may be all it needs :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Leadspitter » 26 Sep 2019, 4:36 pm

I was reluctant to work the extractor , i really didnt take anything off as the lap is very fine.
Same when working on the mag i certainly didnt want to take too much off

If you watch video of "cavedweller 59" he drops round into chamber and pushes bolt home

Extractor has large leade or chamfer cut onto face to facillitate push feed

As bill said about the 17hornet extractor rides over rim easy enough and particularly on the chamfered face ammo " read not ppu"

I am going to put a in a little more sear engagement to prevent slam fires untill the extractor loosens up a bit.

Reloading is on the cards , down the track.

I am keen to get some boretech c4 and cu2 as seems to be popular.
Once i get that i will get out to silverdale and get shootin.

Cheers

Edit - ps any advice to load bullets into magazine MUCH appreciated.
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 26 Sep 2019, 6:12 pm

CAREFULLY
rim lock is easy to do at night and in a hurry.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles