Fiber Optic sight for Marlin 444

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Fiber Optic sight for Marlin 444

Post by QS1 » 03 Oct 2019, 6:31 pm

Anyone tried TG109 from TruGlo?

Many thanks
QS1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Fiber Optic sight for Marlin 444

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Oct 2019, 12:56 pm

QS1 wrote:Anyone tried TG109 from TruGlo?

Many thanks

Hi bud
I think this might be the same one I tried to fit to my Marlin 336 SS. Don't do it. I carefully knocked the front sight out and went on to try and knock the new one in.
As it was slightly larger it was very hard to get in, and I only managed to get it in half way before I aborted the mission, it also damaged the sight holder, I have since removed the whole thing.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Oct 2019, 1:08 pm

Harrynsw wrote:

Many thanks

Hi bud
I think this might be the same one I tried to fit to my Marlin 336 SS. Don't do it. I carefully knocked the front sight out and went on to try and knock the new one in.
As it was slightly larger it was very hard to get in, and I only managed to get it in half way before I aborted the mission, it also damaged the sight holder, I have since removed the whole thing.

Dovetails virtually always require dressing to size, they're made oversize for that reason.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 13 Oct 2019, 11:12 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

Many thanks

Hi bud

Dovetails virtually always require dressing to size, they're made oversize for that reason.

That's fantastic. Wish they printed that on the packaging.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Oct 2019, 11:24 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

Many thanks

Hi bud

I don't think gunsmithing has completely evolved to educating do-it-yourselfers yet, most of that sort of thing still relies on the user having some knowledge of the subject, or at least sufficient interest to do some research.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 14 Oct 2019, 8:02 am

bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

Many thanks

Hi bud

I don't think gunsmithing has completely evolved to educating do-it-yourselfers yet, most of that sort of thing still relies on the user having some knowledge of the subject, or at least sufficient interest to do some research.

We live and learn. I'd say the same thing if I had a truck load of experience.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2019, 8:18 am

Harrynsw wrote:We live and learn. I'd say the same thing if I had a truck load of experience.

Of course.
Dovetails don't just relate to firearms though, lots of things in mechanical engineering are manufactured over-size so they can be perfectly fitted. It's impossible for every manufacturer to cut a dovetail to perfectly fit pieces manufactured by thousands of other companies. So either females need to be cut under-size or males need to be cut over-size, to allow pieces to be dressed to fit. It makes sense to dress the smaller component which is cheaply replaced if you screw it up. Dovetails are also often cut tapered so they need to be installed from the correct direction.

It is unfair to bag a product because you didn't understand how to install it.

To dress a sight dovetail you will need to buy or make a file with a safe edge ground back at an angle to fit the dovetail.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2019, 8:27 am

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 14 Oct 2019, 11:42 am

Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2019, 12:42 pm

Learning something new is always a good day :-)
Never file the barrel dovetail, only the sight insert, so you can order a new one if you go too far.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles