My First Gun

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

My First Gun

Post by Milan72 » 20 Feb 2014, 4:43 pm

Hi Guys,

New to shooting from the point of view of getting my firearms licence, but have shot with friends years ago. It's been a long time coming and I'm excited. I didn't anticipate that it would be this hard to choose a gun.

I am wanting your advice gents. I am on 15 acres an like the idea of a 22lr for plinking on the property without annoying the neighbors but would like a little more 'oomph' for bunny busting or picking off a few foxes in the state forests when the opportunity comes about. So figured I would want a 22 magnum aswell but then I hear that a 17hmr is the new black???

Anyhow, I don't really want to buy two guns in similar calibers and the idea of a sako quad range quickly worked its way into my wishlist. A mate of mine reckons I should just get something cheap at first then decide on something better down the track. I'm of the view to get something nice that I will hold onto for a while and then pass down to my son in about ten years time. Learn to shoot properly with the gun I plan to keep philosophy.

I decided to consider my mates idea and looked around to find the Cz 455 which has the ability to change barrels apparently and this would satisfy my not wanting to buy 2 rifles off the bat. So to stop beating around the bush here are the questions:

1. 22 magnum or 17hmr (the 22 lr is a given)
2. Cheap gun first then upgrade later?
3. Has anyone got a CZ455 with interchangable barrels? Will it do .22 and .17 from the same action and stock?
4. Sako or CZ?
5. Any other suggestions or advice?

Sorry for the noob questions but your help would be appreciated.

Milan
Milan72
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: My First Gun

Post by Norton » 20 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm

Hey Milan.

The interchangeable barrels is a novel idea, IMO it's more of a pain in the ass than practical for most.

e.g. On the Sako, if I remember right, swapping the barrel out means lifting it up - not forward - so you have to remove the scope. Gotta sight in again after each change... Not for me.

If you're set on a .22LR already, I reckon I'd start off with a good 22LR that's going to last you and see how you go with that before picking up a second.

You can still take bunnies and foxes with a 22LR and it'll get you started.

As for the second rifle I'd go for the 17HMR if you still end up wanting one. Better range than the 22MAG.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by horter » 20 Feb 2014, 8:34 pm

22LR is definitely enough for bunnies mate. You'll get some foxes too, have no doubt about that.

22mag, 17hmr... 6 one half dozen the other really I think. Like Norton said, a little extra range is all you get from the 17.
Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .30-06
Sako L61R 7mm Rem Mag
Sako L461 Vixen .222 Rem
Savage 42 combination 22 WMR/410 bore
horter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 20 Feb 2014, 10:44 pm

Everyone should have a .22LR, not only fun and cheap to run but pick the right one and it can be very accurate. In my case it's been Brno's, Model 2 and Model 2E but I sold the later. A 22LR using subs at targets out to 200 yards is a lot of fun and excellent training reading conditions.

Did have a CZ .17HMR but sold that due to what I call expensive ammo for a rimfire. I also have a CZ527 .22Hornet and much prefer that over the .17HMR and it's more accurate plus has the extra legs. The new .17Hornet sounds impressive but time will tell if it lives up to the stories or just a passing fad. 30gr bullets in a .22Hornet work extremely well and deadly accurate.

Have shot several 22mag but didn't see any reason to own one, mainly it's still a rimfire and restricted to factory ammo available.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 21 Feb 2014, 7:30 am

1. 22 magnum or 17hmr (the 22 lr is a given)
2. Cheap gun first then upgrade later?
3. Has anyone got a CZ455 with interchangable barrels? Will it do .22 and .17 from the same action and stock?
4. Sako or CZ?
5. Any other suggestions or advice?

1. I'm sure you'd be happy with either. As above, cheaper and more readily available ammo for the 22 magnum however. Don't discount your 22LR for bunnies and foxes though, it'll definitely get you started.

2. IMO buy something that will last you. Buying cheap now and better later only costs you more in the long run in my experience.

3. I think (download a manual and double check this) that the same action will work with all the offered barrels, it's the magazine that's different.

One mag takes .17 Mach and .22 LR. The other takes 17 HMR and 22 Mag. That's why they offer the 2 barrel packages so they only have to ship one mag with it.

4. Sako has the barrel which comes out an an angle, which can require the scope to be removed which is a pain in the ass as mentioned. CZ the barrels come forward and don'e require scope removal I'm pretty sure, that's a plus.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by chickapow » 21 Feb 2014, 7:41 am

CZ is 2/3 the price of the Sako too which is tough to overlook.
chickapow
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Milan72 » 21 Feb 2014, 6:58 pm

Thanks guys for all your responses so far. You are all really directing me back onto the road of sanity, reasoning and logic. A kid in a lolly shop is a good metaphor for me right now, but there is a method to my madness.

When you eat a meal in a restaurant and parting with your hard earned money, you don't just want it to taste good, it needs to look good and have the right mix that makes it a meal right? Similar example when you buy a car. I guess I just want to be clear on understanding what I want and like, explore what others look for and how they think (experience counts for a lot) and somewhere a good informed decision will be made (hopefully).

I am now leaning towards the CZ 455 with two barrels. Cheaper and still reputable. With the money I save, I could also get a 12g! That would make me feel like I have a good repitoire of guns to start with and really enjoy the learning experience I am about to about to embark on.

I'll go find out more about the CZ and make sure it's a sensible choice. Any more opinions from you guys on this forum will still be appreciated and once again, thanks for your words of wisdom so far!

Milan
Milan72
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 21 Feb 2014, 7:28 pm

What about a used brno in 22lr? Which will be barley run in and a small calibre centrefire like a 223,222, 22 hornet or 17 something-or-other howa? Same price as the sako option.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Feb 2014, 6:54 am

If I where you Milan I would honestly be more concerned about having a licence first before worring about what rifle your going to choose. I've seen & heard of some really stupid reasons people have been denied a licence. One step at a time
Member-Deleted

Post by Norton » 23 Feb 2014, 7:31 am

Aww c'mon. Don't ruin his fun ;)
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Feb 2014, 9:14 am

I hear ya nort, but if his licence doesn't get approved for whatever reason imagine how he will feel then. By what I've read it will be a big let down. I wouldn't get too over confiedent with stuff like this.
Member-Deleted

Post by Milan72 » 23 Feb 2014, 8:35 pm

To be honest, I never even considered not being able to get my gun license. Never been in trouble with the boys in blue. Never been in front of a magistrate. What kind of reasons have you heard of people not getting their license?

Hmmm... Just didn't even think that it was a possibility to be knocked back. I'll keep planing as I think the probability would be on my side. If for some reason something happens sure I'll be disappointed but as like most people, I've had bigger disappointments in life.

Milan
Milan72
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 23 Feb 2014, 8:56 pm

You'll be right mate.

Clean record = gun license IMO.

Can't see any reason why you'd get knocked back. Prepare for some fun times shooting IMO ;)
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MasterBlaster » 23 Feb 2014, 10:43 pm

I am doing my last stage for my license on Friday week, and was thinking the same as you are...

I will more than likely get the CZ455 due to the fact that yes you can change the barrels quickly without removal of the scope...

They have a review in the latest (Feb) Aistralian Shooter and that pretty much confirmed my thoughts...

Good luck with it all...
Who runs Bartertown?
MasterBlaster runs Bartertown...
MasterBlaster
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Vati » 24 Feb 2014, 7:59 am

The forward removable barrels is definitely a plus for the CZ.

Dunno what Sako were thinking doing the upward removal which is sure to put a lot of people off buying their version.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Techc » 24 Feb 2014, 1:33 pm

Milan72 wrote:To be honest, I never even considered not being able to get my gun license. Never been in trouble with the boys in blue. Never been in front of a magistrate. What kind of reasons have you heard of people not getting their license?

Mate, don't worry.

It's not going to get knocked back because the guy at the registry is grumpy and didn't get his morning coffee :lol:

You'll get it.
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Milan72 » 24 Feb 2014, 9:24 pm

Thanks for all your advice guys ... Really appreciate it.

I think I will ogle the CZ some more on google.... Course is on the 6th of March... Then I might go and cop a feel at my local gun shop but I think the decision probably been made already. CZ 455!

Now just to find as Shottie... ;)

Milan
Milan72
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 25 Feb 2014, 8:40 pm

Definitely get down to your local store.

All the talk is good, but getting your hands on a few options is better.

Nothing wrong with CZ though, just doesn't hurt to feel out a few options ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles