45-70/90 Sharps like gun.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 45-70/90 Sharps like gun.

Post by RedRange » 16 Oct 2019, 9:50 pm

Noisydad wrote:First comes the vague interest in an oldy timey rifle that becomes an itch that becomes a dire need that leads to putting money in the counter and you think the itch is scratched. Soon there’s an an interest in loading black that leads to casting your own bullets and making your own bullet lube and you think the itch is scratched. Soon you start thinking of phrases like Rolling block and muzzle loader and round ball and, well, by then there’s no climbing out of the hole!

I hear you load n clear Noisy
Ive nearly gone blind checking out so much stuff on line ha!
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RedRange » 16 Oct 2019, 9:54 pm

perentie wrote:
RedRange wrote:Gday all ,

Lately I have been looking at Sharps like falling block / high wall rifles in 45-70 and 45-90.
Original styled rifles , 30"+ barrels.
Standard build. Hunting rifle.

I have a few questions , will try to keep it simple and go easy on me I've been out of the game for 20yrs.

1. Brands. My budget won't stretch to a Shiloh Sharps rifle (as beautiful as they are...) , so I've been looking at Uberti , Armi , Pedersoli , Winchester.
Any others I should check out?
Any I should avoid ?

2. I've read bits n pieces about some Italian rifles having sloppy recievers /bores ex factory.
The info was fairly old , is this still an issue now?

3. Soft / breaking firing pins? lever/spring issues?
Triggers etc?

4. Is there a retailer in Oz that carries this type of rifle or are they a thing you order and wait for from overseas ?

5. 45-70 v 45-90.
I'd like a 45-90 (had a couple 45-70s in the past).
I cant find ballistic comparison tables , or load data in concise form. Can anyone suggest where , or even a book etc?

Thanks in advance for any replies ,
RedRange

Think about a Rolling Block. Less moving parts and simple to clean. Used along side the Sharps in Buffalo days and Custer had one. I have been using them for years.
As a matter of fact I have a 45-90 with cases and bullet mould I might be talked into selling
I cant handle the recoil any more so going smaller to 40 cal.
I can post up a photo if the mods dont mind.

Ive checked out some rolling blocks Perentie , and they all look good , but got my heart n head on a high wall or sharps gun. :thumbsup:
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by N.Field » 17 Oct 2019, 11:56 am

N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 17 Oct 2019, 3:20 pm

There’s something special about a single shot, falling block rifle for sure! A roller can be second on the (long) list of single shot shootin irons lol
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by RedRange » 17 Oct 2019, 6:16 pm

Spied and duly noted Nfield. Thanks.
Woukd be good to talk to someone/ anyone who owns n shoots these rifles.
If anyone out there could spare a quick chat would be much appreciated.
PM me etc.
RedRange.
RedRange
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles