Recoil comparison

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Recoil comparison

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Oct 2019, 1:40 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Harrynsw,
Think 243 for the Creedmore, for a given load in the same weight rifle 6.6CM is a little higher, about 6 or so ft/lbs. Much easier than the 308, Cheers

Cheers thanks bud, and everyone else for the input

Harry what's the lightest projectile weight you've tried in the 308 mate?

Also Harry have you tried a better recoil pad on the rifle, that can make a lot of difference to felt recoil too. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Harrynsw » 10 Oct 2019, 4:09 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Harrynsw,
Think 243 for the Creedmore, for a given load in the same weight rifle 6.6CM is a little higher, about 6 or so ft/lbs. Much easier than the 308, Cheers

Cheers thanks bud, and everyone else for the input

130 grain, and I do have a recoil pad, it's a firm rubber type...
Harry what's the lightest projectile weight you've tried in the 308 mate?

Also Harry have you tried a better recoil pad on the rifle, that can make a lot of difference to felt recoil too. :drinks:
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 10 Oct 2019, 7:32 pm

TBH I have loaded up 130gr interlocks in my brno 308 thinking I would get a lighter recoil for my young daughter to shoot deer with but the recoil was much stiffer because the powder, 2206 is a faster burn rate, I found that the 150grers loaded with 2208 to have less recoil
she can shoot them but I would rather her not get a flinch, she is 54 kg's
it is fallow we are after but I have been thinking of putting together a creedmore or buy her a 243, she has hinted at taking over my 6mm dasher but that's not happening just yet :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a 6.5x55 she shoots regularly very well, no misses at clays on a berm at 200 but it is on its last legs
IMHO I dont think you would go wrong with the 6.5 creedmore or I believe it would be possible to get the 308 recoil down by as Scott has said a smaller projie with a slower powder
good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Oct 2019, 7:51 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Hi guys

The old shoulder isn't liking the recoil from the .308, so I want to step it down a couple of notches.
Open to suggestions as well.

Light projectiles 110-130 gr with minimum powder loads or one of these.
Attachments
muz2.jpg
muz2.jpg (178.18 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Oct 2019, 9:51 pm

I'd be looking at a better recoil pad first Harry then if that's not doing it you could always go a Muzzle break (horrible noisy things IMO) but it will help with recoil.

Last resort I guess sell it and find a smaller milder cal to shoot along the lines of what you were thinking.

Another thing is if you are going to be going to a range regularly, perhaps see what smaller cals people are shooting and see if you can have a few shots out of those to work out whether the cal is suited to you, will save a lot of hassles down the track in case you find something you think you will be ok with is in fact similar to what you have now. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by PaddyT » 11 Oct 2019, 12:21 am

i reckon the 6,5 CM has a bit more grunt than the 243, heavier pills, more energy downrange, the 6.5 Grendal is probably very close to the 243. But at the end of the day they are all good calibres to own. I think in terms of getting close to the versatility of the 308 a 6.5CM is as close as your going to get (excepting legalities - you cant shot sambar in Vic with a 6.5)
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2019, 5:01 am

PaddyT wrote:i reckon the 6,5 CM has a bit more grunt than the 243, heavier pills, more energy downrange, the 6.5 Grendal is probably very close to the 243. But at the end of the day they are all good calibres to own. I think in terms of getting close to the versatility of the 308 a 6.5CM is as close as your going to get (excepting legalities - you cant shot sambar in Vic with a 6.5)

The 6.5mm's are significantly harder-hitting than the 6mm's. 6mm gives you bullets from 50gn to 108gn or more, the 6.5mm gives you from 85gn to 170gn bullets. 7mm-08 gives you 100gn to 175gn normally (212gn or more if you have the twist rate), and high-BC for longer range performance, and is legal for the big deer in Victoria..
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Oct 2019, 8:06 am

marksman wrote:TBH I have loaded up 130gr interlocks in my brno 308 thinking I would get a lighter recoil for my young daughter to shoot deer with but the recoil was much stiffer because the powder, 2206 is a faster burn rate, I found that the 150grers loaded with 2208 to have less recoil
it is fallow we are after but I have been thinking of putting together a creedmore or buy her a 243, she has hinted at taking over my 6mm dasher but that's not happening just yet :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a 6.5x55 she shoots regularly very well, no misses at clays on a berm at 200 but it is on its last legs
IMHO I dont think you would go wrong with the 6.5 creedmore or I believe it would be possible to get the 308 recoil down by as Scott has said a smaller projie with a slower powder

:friends:
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Oct 2019, 8:07 am

:drinks:
bigfellascott wrote:I'd be looking at a better recoil pad first Harry then if that's not doing it you could always go a Muzzle break (horrible noisy things IMO) but it will help with recoil.

Last resort I guess sell it and find a smaller milder cal to shoot along the lines of what you were thinking.

Another thing is if you are going to be going to a range regularly, perhaps see what smaller cals people are shooting and see if you can have a few shots out of those to work out whether the cal is suited to you, will save a lot of hassles down the track in case you find something you think you will be ok with is in fact similar to what you have now. :drinks:
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Oct 2019, 8:08 am

PaddyT wrote:i reckon the 6,5 CM has a bit more grunt than the 243, heavier pills, more energy downrange, the 6.5 Grendal is probably very close to the 243. But at the end of the day they are all good calibres to own. I think in terms of getting close to the versatility of the 308 a 6.5CM is as close as your going to get (excepting legalities - you cant shot sambar in Vic with a 6.5)

Is it a legality though? Or a guideline?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Oct 2019, 8:49 am

marksman wrote:TBH I have loaded up 130gr interlocks in my brno 308 thinking I would get a lighter recoil for my young daughter to shoot deer with but the recoil was much stiffer because the powder, 2206 is a faster burn rate, I found that the 150grers loaded with 2208 to have less recoil

That old 6.5x55 you’re daughter shoots well and is probably very familiar with might be a good thing to rebarrel and pass down to her. She shooting with irons or a scope ? If she’s hitting the clays at 200 consistently with irons good on her :thumbsup:

Wish I still had young eyes, used to shoot a 6.5 Husqvarna better than some of my mates could with their scoped rifles
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2019, 9:37 am

Harrynsw wrote:

Is it a legality though? Or a guideline?

Legal requirement in Victoria, Minimum .270" and 130gn bullet for the big three, .243" and 80gn bullet for the small deer.
https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/deer/hunting-methods

Ludicrous as there is no restriction on chambering or velocity.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles