22 hornet break in

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

22 hornet break in

Post by Leadspitter » 18 Oct 2019, 5:27 pm

G day guys

Thoroughly cleaned the factory gunk out , of barrel , tuned magazine , bedded action.

Was shooting off the bench at 50 and 100 metres.
PPU ammo.
Was getting 1,1/2 inch group at 50, horizontal stringing , 3 shots in a horizontal row.
Several strings like this.

What does this mean ?

Groups at 100 were 3" to 4" , round groups shocking.
It was windy that didnt help.

I thought rifle or scope or both f#@*ked
II aint the best shot either !

I tried some new ammo , hornady and winchester 35 gr ballistic tips at 50mtrs

3 shots hornady = one three leaf clover
3 shots winnie = one three leaf clover.

So rifle and scope seem to be fine and my shooting not so bad.

100 metre groups with same ammo 2" circular, i was expecting better.

windy as i said , and i need to improve my technique , my first centrefire so i need to concetrate a bit more.

That horizontal string , is that me , the ammo or the gun.

Also , once you thoroughly clean the rifle , can i expect it to take several rounds to settle in ?

I was dreading this centrefire cleaning caper

Seems like boretech eliminator cleans real well .carbon seems to clean out easily and copper fouling doesnt seem to be an issue.

I have a hundred rounds down the spout now.

should i expect the groups at 100 metres to tighten up a little as more rounds are fired ?

Thanks guys.
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: 22 hornet break in

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Oct 2019, 5:50 pm

When you say copper fouling doesn't seem to be an issue, do you mean you cannot see any streaks of copper when you look down the muzzle?

If you are getting horizontal stringing and it is windy I would draw the obvious conclusion. Vertical stringing has many causes by contrast.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 18 Oct 2019, 6:05 pm

Keep on with the Hndy & Win ammo if that is what you get better results from...shoot in good conditions (no wind) at 100 for testing...

If the barrel is new then it may be fair to expect things to tighten up as the barrel settles down...

As scj said--if you got horizontal stringing with one lot of ammo in windy conditions, & good results with a different kind of ammo...its a fair assumption its the wind...dont bother buying more of that ammo--just keep shooting what you have to compare to others & shoot the barrel in...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Leadspitter » 18 Oct 2019, 8:27 pm

I spose what i mean by no copper is that i use the boretech eliminator with nylon brush ten passes and the patch comes out blue

So then i will repeat and the blue is ever so faint , so copper fouling is light i guess and is removed easily

I put thru a couple of dry patches
Then ten passes with bronze brush and ballistol

Then a few dry patches come out clean so i guess if any carbon was in there the bronze brush would stir it up but 2 goes with the boretech seems to do the trick

Thats after say 25 shots

Fair call on the wind cauasing the stringing

Thanks
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Oct 2019, 9:35 pm

When running the barrel it will often speed up and this may help it group better. With a Hornet you need every bit of speed you can get at times. Good that you can remove the fouling easily, looks like you have a good barrel. Get some decent reloads and your groups will improve.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Leadspitter » 19 Oct 2019, 6:42 pm

Yep

Saving the brass for reloading.
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 20 Oct 2019, 6:09 am

Im guessing this is a CZ......
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Leadspitter » 20 Oct 2019, 10:36 pm

You guess right Bill!
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles