Howa Bravo Long Range Comments/Query's

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Howa Bravo Long Range Comments/Query's

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Oct 2019, 10:31 am

I forgot long ago what my bullet cost... after i paid for my 2nd press and the type s dies. Atleast the 4kg tubs make the cost reasonable... and keep an eye out on websites for good deals. But seeing now pouring 85+ grain of bang powder and projectiles over $1.... yeah gun fun.

Saying that cheapest is trailboss in a 223 pushing those hornady tap for 22c... almost as cheap as my 22lr... but i was taking to someone and he's spending $32/50 on the 22lr.... crazy
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 28 Oct 2019, 10:55 am

Ziad wrote:I forgot long ago what my bullet cost... after i paid for my 2nd press and the type s dies. Atleast the 4kg tubs make the cost reasonable... and keep an eye out on websites for good deals. But seeing now pouring 85+ grain of bang powder and projectiles over $1.... yeah gun fun.

Saying that cheapest is trailboss in a 223 pushing those hornady tap for 22c... almost as cheap as my 22lr... but i was taking to someone and he's spending $32/50 on the 22lr.... crazy

I've got a 223 build on the boil that is specifically designed to shoot budget handloads expectionally well. I hate wasting money on fancy consumables. I'll do a big post once it's all complete but it'll (hopefully) have a Krieger barrel.

And I'm targetting those Hornady TAP pills. What sort of accuracy do you think they are capable of?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by thesoundman000 » 28 Oct 2019, 12:29 pm

Well there you go mate, I stand corrected - well done. IMO you're at the pinnacle of the economy/accuracy combo for loading 308 in AUS. If AR2208 is working for you, I'd just stick with that - I doubt you'll get much accuracy improvement from AR2207. Worth an investigation nonetheless. I'd be chronoing your loads and comparing the SD against AR2207 i(f you want to split hairs).

My only gripe with the 08 is the noise, it sure slams the eardrums. I forgot my ear pro for one round and I'll never be repeating that mistake again, its been a few days and the ringing hasn't stopped (I've got the rifle braked and some past ear injuries). I'm hoping the faster powder might improve that aspect a little.

I don't yet have a chrono, its definitely on my list to get asap though because I keep running into situations where it would help.

That sounds about right mate. For a factory Howa barrel you're doing bloody well I reckon

Thanks mate, for a first rifle this Howa will keep me happy a while yet
thesoundman000
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by thesoundman000 » 28 Oct 2019, 12:54 pm

Ziad wrote:I forgot long ago what my bullet cost... after i paid for my 2nd press and the type s dies. Atleast the 4kg tubs make the cost reasonable... and keep an eye out on websites for good deals. But seeing now pouring 85+ grain of bang powder and projectiles over $1.... yeah gun fun.

This bug will bite me one day, holding back the reins for the time being :D
thesoundman000
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 28 Oct 2019, 3:52 pm

sungazer wrote:
marksman wrote:
sungazer wrote:Easy to spend that much for a good bullet. if your going to push it long range then more than 40grn of 2208 is needed about 45grn of 2206H.

l stuff a bit more than that in my 308's :lol: speed kills :drinks:

We need to keep to safe loads when talking about them and making suggestions or comments.

my loads are safe :drinks:
for my rifles ;)
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Oct 2019, 4:48 pm

Don’t do drugs, stay in school...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Oct 2019, 7:45 pm

If you move the bullet weight up to around 170 grains you won't do better than 2208. If you are worried about the noise you can take the break off.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by thesoundman000 » 29 Oct 2019, 10:49 am

SCJ429 wrote:If you move the bullet weight up to around 170 grains you won't do better than 2208. If you are worried about the noise you can take the break off.

Yeah I've realised that but it's a trade-off I won't be able to avoid. For the lighter loads I might as well keep things pleasant. The brake will stay on I think, its quite nice to shoot as is recoil wise and I'm enjoying that.
thesoundman000
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Oct 2019, 6:56 pm

I am sensitive to noise, strange because I am deaf. I double up my hearing protection with squashy ear plugs and put my ear muffs over that.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles