Do off the shelf rifles really differ that much?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Do off the shelf rifles really differ that much?

Post by Spanielz11 » 18 Nov 2019, 8:30 am

sungazer,
Yeah the Musgrave is a single shot target rifle for F/TR, 30" krieger, Built by a bloke that lives out in Tully QLD. real sweet rifle that shoots pretty darn well aslong as the numpty pulling the trigger does their job :thumbsup: I did shoot F/Class and benchrest a bit back over in townsville, was just getting the loads really fine tuned for when i left for the NT, so she hasnt had her legs stretched for a while now

SCJ429,
Thats a real hard one to answer, the .222 i rebuilt from a rifle that was set to be destroyed. both would make superb varminters. I'd say the 223 is more accurate ( havent put them side by side at the range yet ) than the .222 but then i have the 223 built for friends to learn how to shoot past 200m, the 222 is still wearing its timber and is much more a field rifle. I dont think i really have a preference as they are both really fun to shoot, i will admit that the 222 does have a very different kind of thump when you pull the trigger, more like a bam than a crack like the 223.
If its big and fast, I wanna know all about it
Weatherby MkV - .220 Swift
Remington Sendero - .300 RUM
AIA M10B2 - .308 Win
Musgrave - .308 Win
Weatherby Vanguard - .223 Rem
Remington 788 - .222 Rem
Stirling 14 - .22 LR
Spanielz11
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Do off the shelf rifles really differ that much?

Post by Elmer » 19 Nov 2019, 2:04 pm

Leadspitter wrote:Shooter 243

Do yourself a favour and buy a 22 .

Practice on the 22 at the range

Find an old hand at the range with a 243

See what groups he is getting at 200 yards

Then you see how you go !

That will be a big wake up call.

The same people that think mc donalds is food, think that 600 metres is easy.

I agree, 600-1000yds for a beginer?....600 is a bloody long way on small targets like rabbits etc, it takes ****** of practice, even if you do have top notch equipment.
You are right, he should start of with a rimfire and practice, he will find that 200(like you said) , will be like shooting his .243 at 600 (even more so).
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles