Do off the shelf rifles really differ that much?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Do off the shelf rifles really differ that much?

Post by Spanielz11 » 14 Nov 2019, 8:08 am

G'day Shooter243,

I think most people have hit the nail on the head here as far as getting a 22LR to start practicing with.
If the maximun range that you can generally get to 200m with you having to travel to get out to a 600m range, my advice is this-
Grab yourself a HOWA 1500 Barreled action or one of the cheaper rifles(1 in 9 twist). same same for the your local store.
Dont stress about the stock because you are going to want to drop it into a Bell and Carlson or one of the many chassis that are going around. up to you if you want a detachable magazine or not. last but not least is glass, i highly reconmend bushnell, recently got a one of the NITRO line and by gods am i impressed with it. its no nightforce or schmidt but it definately can compete with them as far as quality for price goes.

Im saying this because i turned my Weatherby Vanguard (fancy HOWA) into a tack driver by doing just that.
The B&C stocks are alloy V-block bedded to get the best action to stock fit you can short of glass bedding the whole rifle.
The big thing is practicing, you can train all day on a rimfire but you will still need centre fire time. by going with a 223 you can buy those OSA bulk ammo deals and shoot to your hearts content. that little 223 with 55/60grain projectiles is more than capable of half minute groups at 200-300 from a well setup factory rifle.

All in just my 2cents, i wish you the best of luck with which ever direction you choose to go and am looking to forward to hearing your results, better yet seeing you on the range mate.
If its big and fast, I wanna know all about it
Weatherby MkV - .220 Swift
Remington Sendero - .300 RUM
AIA M10B2 - .308 Win
Musgrave - .308 Win
Weatherby Vanguard - .223 Rem
Remington 788 - .222 Rem
Stirling 14 - .22 LR
Spanielz11
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 14 Nov 2019, 10:08 am

Your situation might be possible to just buy 22 ammo and use your friends to practice with?
Let them use the gun you choose to buy and everyone can hopefully learn something.
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Nov 2019, 6:59 pm

Spanielz11 wrote:G'day Shooter243,
Im saying this because i turned my Weatherby Vanguard (fancy HOWA) into a tack driver by doing just that.
The B&C stocks are alloy V-block bedded to get the best action to stock fit you can short of glass bedding the whole rifle.
The big thing is practicing, you can train all day on a rimfire but you will still need centre fire time. by going with a 223 you can buy those OSA bulk ammo deals and shoot to your hearts content. that little 223 with 55/60grain projectiles is more than capable of half minute groups at 200-300 from a well setup factory rifle.

Hey Spaniel,
Why doesn't your Weatherby Vangard (fancy Howa) feature on your Signiture block?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Spanielz11 » 15 Nov 2019, 2:15 pm

Hey Spaniel,
Why doesn't your Weatherby Vangard (fancy Howa) feature on your Signiture block?

SCJ429,
Good point, just looked back over the signature and realised that I had infact forgotten to put it in. :crazy: Since been fixed, so i thank you for pointing that out.
AIA M10B2 - .308 Win
Musgrave - .308 Win
Remington 788 - .222 Rem
Stirling 14 - .22 LR
Spanielz11
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by sungazer » 15 Nov 2019, 2:52 pm

Do you shoot F class? Is the or was the Musgrave a single shot target rifle?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Nov 2019, 6:12 pm

Spanielz11 wrote:Hey Spaniel,

SCJ429,
Good point, just looked back over the signature and realised that I had infact forgotten to put it in. :crazy: Since been fixed, so i thank you for pointing that out.

Nice wrk Spaniel, what do you prefer, the 222 or the 223. I have a soft spot for the 222 but only own a 223.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Spanielz11 » 18 Nov 2019, 8:30 am

sungazer,
Yeah the Musgrave is a single shot target rifle for F/TR, 30" krieger, Built by a bloke that lives out in Tully QLD. real sweet rifle that shoots pretty darn well aslong as the numpty pulling the trigger does their job :thumbsup: I did shoot F/Class and benchrest a bit back over in townsville, was just getting the loads really fine tuned for when i left for the NT, so she hasnt had her legs stretched for a while now

SCJ429,
Thats a real hard one to answer, the .222 i rebuilt from a rifle that was set to be destroyed. both would make superb varminters. I'd say the 223 is more accurate ( havent put them side by side at the range yet ) than the .222 but then i have the 223 built for friends to learn how to shoot past 200m, the 222 is still wearing its timber and is much more a field rifle. I dont think i really have a preference as they are both really fun to shoot, i will admit that the 222 does have a very different kind of thump when you pull the trigger, more like a bam than a crack like the 223.
AIA M10B2 - .308 Win
Musgrave - .308 Win
Remington 788 - .222 Rem
Stirling 14 - .22 LR
Spanielz11
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Elmer » 19 Nov 2019, 2:04 pm

Leadspitter wrote:Shooter 243

Do yourself a favour and buy a 22 .

Practice on the 22 at the range

Find an old hand at the range with a 243

See what groups he is getting at 200 yards

Then you see how you go !

That will be a big wake up call.

The same people that think mc donalds is food, think that 600 metres is easy.

I agree, 600-1000yds for a beginer?....600 is a bloody long way on small targets like rabbits etc, it takes ****** of practice, even if you do have top notch equipment.
You are right, he should start of with a rimfire and practice, he will find that 200(like you said) , will be like shooting his .243 at 600 (even more so).
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles