Factory vs modifying vs custom build

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Factory vs modifying vs custom build

Post by Stix » 03 Nov 2019, 5:29 am

bigrich wrote:
Stix wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:
GQshayne wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:But this is a thread about modifying a factory rifle or building a custom one.

You can buy a new Ruger #1 or Weatherby Mark 5 with a nice bit of walnut attached.

And I am saying that in my case a custom one gives me greater satisfaction. More work yes, but that is part of it too. It is unique, and gives pride of ownership. Something a factory rifle cannot give me.

I still don't understand, do you get a custom action from the 70s and make yourself a walnut stock for it? Or you get a 70s Tikka action and modify it?

I like 70s Ruger #1s and have several, none of them have their original barrels or chamberings and I have upgraded the stocks or modified them. I like an oiled finish rather than the original varnish. This is fun and makes them unique to me. But you can also have a sense of pride from a rifle you researched and had built by a gunsmith, especially when it shoots well.

I wish I had a nice rifle handed down by my Pop, I would treasure that too. Be a nice way to remember someone who loved hunting also.

And isnt it funny how this sense of getting pleasure out of personalising a rifle is also what many of us dispise ourselves...

What i mean, is, if we see an older rifle for sale thats been altered from new--lets say hypothetically, an early Win mod 70 with nice grain timber stock...that isnt sporting the original barrel or chambering, the stock has been re-finished & slightly altered by someone long in the past, most of us would view it as having been butchered...
:drinks:

Whether or not it’s “butchered” depends on your point of view. If the modifications have been done well and tastefully it’s a “custom” rifle . Some folks like stuff for it’s collectibility, in factory condition. I used to rebuild and hot rod old cars , so customising to build what I want, using my hands to put my mark on something gives me a great satisfaction.

It’s not so much the destination, it’s enjoying the journey to get there

I could just go buy a sako, but that’s boring for me

JMHO

I wasnt suggesting putting our own touches to a rifle is all butchering up rifles BR...

Im of the same opinion & have no problem with what you do...

Im also not a fan of the 'varnished' type finish of many older type stocks, & just like scj, am a fan of an oiled finish...

I was just making a reference to monetary values i guess--meaning if there were 2 old win mid 70's for sale sitting next to each other, the non-altered all original will most likely not only have the higher price tag, but also sell quicker, whether that be to a collector, OR to somrone like you who wants to modify it.

And yes "butchering" is in the eye of the beholder...
---the amount of old brno's out there with sights hacked off for scope use, old sportco's with such poorly refinished stocks that would jump themselves into a fire if they looked in a mirror, & the ridiculous stock mods on some nice old rifles-like the tops of combs or Montecarlo cheek pieces hacked off, not to mention trigger hacks by "my mate the gunsmith" are more slong the lines of what i was referring to. ..all probably rifles we'd all avoid, but that were at some point done done with pride by the owner that supposedly loved their rifle.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 03 Nov 2019, 6:12 am

no dramas stix , ol mate :D you have a wonderful way with words at times stix. i can just imagine a "bubba" modified rifle walking past a mirror, shreiking hysterically , and throwing itself in the fireplace :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Nov 2019, 12:31 pm

:lol:

:thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles