Best Bipod?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Best Bipod?

Post by Shootermick » 02 Nov 2019, 6:26 pm

Just after people’s opinions on a bipod. I’ve shot mates rifles with them, but never owned one. I’m thinking a non swivelling, solid type, and maybe 6-9 inches. Probably spend most of its time on my 6.5 Grendel, but may swap it around a bit or buy another one if I really like it. Brands? Cost? Pros and cons of a bipod??
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Best Bipod?

Post by marksman » 02 Nov 2019, 7:00 pm

l use the harris swivel target style with the slotted legs bipods and would say they are the go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrpdT56rG54
l'm not sure of the cost but it should be no more than $130
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 02 Nov 2019, 7:01 pm

Mines a Winchester for about 75 bucks with adj legs at the height u specified. As the legs slide in and out there is enough slop in the system so that they don’t clog in the dirt I’m always in the dirt lying down in prone position and have shot about 60-80 pigs with it. It has positive lock positions for different heights .. I liked it enough to buy another for another rifle .... I don’t like the bipod with legs so long that you can use them in the sitting position. Even though the forend is steady there’s still a ton of movement from the shooter at the back end. Ever since I started shooting prone of a bipod my shot placement has been 99 per cent spot on .... works fine in the drought because there’s no grass or shrubbery to avoid .... but if you have vegetation this height I have may not work for you
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 02 Nov 2019, 7:06 pm

Mate I always run a bipod when out hunting. Worth their weight in gold if you ask me, particularly if you have a longer shot. I have 6-9 bipods that tilt (Not swivel) so you can tilt barrel left or right as required if on a bit of uneven ground mate. I don’t go all out and buy Harris bipod, I stick to the cheaper brands for around the $80-100 mark. Have served me well.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Nov 2019, 8:02 pm

I have a Atlas and I really like it but I have a few Harris bipods and they are pretty useful too.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 02 Nov 2019, 8:06 pm

Standard or notched legs? I shoot a lot from the ute, and am thinking that a bipod across the bonnet would be quicker, but not necessarily better or more accurate than trying to grab the sand bag at the same time. I like my front and rear bags at a table to sight a rifle in, but even using the front bag alone loses some practically in the paddock.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 02 Nov 2019, 8:10 pm

Mate mine are notched legs. I use it at the range too with a rear bag when trying out new Loads or just having a bit of fun.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Nov 2019, 8:45 pm

I have a large variety of bipods, probably more than twenty. Different lengths, different mounting systems, two-piece ones that attach to each side of the fore end, some that swivel, some spring-loaded, some gravity ones, some that fold forward and backwards, some with notched legs, some that are locked wherever you want them, quick-release ones, etc.

I've come to find that the one I use the least is the genuine Harris one, mainly because it's heavy steel, but it's also quite noisy to open and fold due to the springs.

Of the rest, I don't think I could say any one of them is "the best", they each offer different pros and cons to suit different circumstances.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 02 Nov 2019, 8:54 pm

I would prefer bags in the field ( stalking not car hunting)but they are not practical to carry hunting because of the weight and bulk. I could fill my front bag with lightweight recycled plastic shell of some sort but it would still be bulky and a bugger to carry. I have been thinking of some sort of inflatable bag ( 80 per cent full of air ) clipped to the back of my belt so it’s out of the way but not got round to it yet ..... I’m sort of thinking goon bag but that would be punctured quickly and I would have to drink four litres of cheap wine first and I hate wine and then I would just go to sleep instead of going hunting
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 02 Nov 2019, 9:20 pm

I bought an $60 cheapy non swivel bipod to try out from the local gun shop with the intention of buying a better one if I liked it.
5 years later it's still going strong with a few hunting trips a year and a bunch of visits to the range.
I think the cheapy ones are about $80 now.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 02 Nov 2019, 9:47 pm

Shootermick wrote:Standard or notched legs? I shoot a lot from the ute, and am thinking that a bipod across the bonnet would be quicker, but not necessarily better or more accurate than trying to grab the sand bag at the same time. I like my front and rear bags at a table to sight a rifle in, but even using the front bag alone loses some practically in the paddock.

notched legs are quicker and more solid to use IMO :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 03 Nov 2019, 8:32 am

i run a harris
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 03 Nov 2019, 9:33 am

None...;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 03 Nov 2019, 12:44 pm

bigpete wrote:None...;)

Not a bipod fan then I take it big Pete?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Nov 2019, 1:10 pm

I have a Harris and 4 eBay cheapies.
Two that cost under $30 - look exactly the same as the Harris...like literally!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 03 Nov 2019, 2:00 pm

I resisted the urge to say this BP ;) Gimme a quick-entry stabilizing sling (like the galco ching sling) and call it a day. I honestly feel I can’t shoot that well with a bipod...

A70A1363-872A-4DDA-8DF8-D18F04B8E325.png
Ching Sling
A70A1363-872A-4DDA-8DF8-D18F04B8E325.png (98.85 KiB) Viewed 5516 times

Excellent compliment to any field position.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 03 Nov 2019, 2:51 pm

I have a Harris & 2 or 3 cheapies... :?

Was told the Harris is SSOOOOO much better than the cheap ones... :o

So after years of hearing this, i eventually caved in & got one... :P

Wouldnt have a bloody clue which one gets attached to a rifle for a night time walk, cos cant tell the bloody difference either when its dark, or daylight, OR when shooting :o ...!!... :roll:

Now im absolutely convinced the people who pummeled this "you must get a Harris" crap into my head just wanted to see someone else waste their money... :x

...ssoooo much better my bloody arse..!!!...just jaw flappin from Nike wearing brand name junkies that should instead be out ballooning with the amout of hot air pumpin out of their cakeholes....!!... :unknown:

Waste of money the Harris...!!!... :thumbsup:

My advice if wanting a Harris style bipod--particularly if shooting hunting rifles--is buy 3 cheapies...all notched & tilt (or swivel--whatever its called)...a 6-9 & a couple of 9-13's...& with the cash saved from not buying the ones that are "sssoooo much better"...(again-- :roll: ), buy another six pack, some good cheese, crackers & smoked muscles for an afternoon of bunny sniping on a cheap copy...!!... :clap: ... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Nov 2019, 6:53 pm

What is the main use?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 03 Nov 2019, 7:10 pm

Oldbloke wrote:What is the main use?

Main use would probably be just across the bonnet of the ute, quicker to set up than grabbing my sand bag is what I’m thinking.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Nov 2019, 7:28 pm

Certainly is mate
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 03 Nov 2019, 9:01 pm

Whilst i run two Harris Bipods, the Javelin made by Spartan is the biz.... attached to the rifle in seconds and weighs nothing - expensive a little but well worth it.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 03 Nov 2019, 9:44 pm

Shootermick wrote:

I've got 2 Harris bipods....only time they've gone on guns in the last 15 years was for my boy to practice with....so no,not a fan.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 04 Nov 2019, 6:26 am

bigpete wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

I've got 2 Harris bipods....only time they've gone on guns in the last 15 years was for my boy to practice with....so no,not a fan.

So what do you see as their faults bigpete?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 04 Nov 2019, 7:35 am

Shootermick wrote:

Main use would probably be just across the bonnet of the ute, quicker to set up than grabbing my sand bag is what I’m thinking.

l find it the only way l can shoot some longer rifles that are difficult to use out of my wagon window and l can grab a rear bag at the same time
obviously this is while driving around spotlighting :drinks:

the reason l prefer the harris is that after buying a cheap chinese copy a very long time ago l put it on a 300wm and the recoil broke the legs :unknown:
thats not to say they are not made better now :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Nov 2019, 8:06 am

Blr243 wrote:I would prefer bags in the field ( stalking not car hunting)but they are not practical to carry hunting because of the weight and bulk. I could fill my front bag with lightweight recycled plastic shell of some sort but it would still be bulky and a bugger to carry. I have been thinking of some sort of inflatable bag ( 80 per cent full of air ) clipped to the back of my belt so it’s out of the way but not got round to it yet ..... I’m sort of thinking goon bag but that would be punctured quickly and I would have to drink four litres of cheap wine first and I hate wine and then I would just go to sleep instead of going hunting

Mate it will eventually need to be refilled. But use the crystal kitty litter from Coles/woolies. A few different brands.. but shouldn't matter. It gives a reasonable rest and quite light.

Only downside... probably not recommended to use in rain
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Nov 2019, 8:28 am

Thanks for the tip ziad I will look into it. And if I end up useing it I will send u a pm with a pic of the first dead kitty litter pig
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Nov 2019, 9:07 am

Haha thanks mate. Hopefully it works.

I was taking to a friend and he said plastic pallets come in heavy and light form....i got the heavy form and that made my rest bag stable but heavy
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Nov 2019, 11:44 pm

Shootermick wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

So what do you see as their faults bigpete?

They're heavy,noisy,awkward,take too long to set up properly for a shot,and can cause the rifle to act funny during recoil, in my OPINION. Out of a car there's plenty of things to rest on. When stalking,half the time you're standing to take the shot so they're not much use there either. Hell, to be honest,I don't really like even having a scope on my hunting rifles,but the good far outweighs the bad there,especially as my eyes get worse.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2019, 5:12 am

Shootermick wrote:

Just leave your sandbag on the window sill of the ute mate, heaps quicker than stuffing around with bipods (done both over many years and the sandbag is more versatile and quicker to use off a bonnet by far. :thumbsup: (I've got all manner of bipods from Harris, Atlas to cheapies all work the same - some are fixed, others are cant, swivel, tilt) but for shooting off the bonnet none get used now, it's the good ol sandbag that gets the run every time no matter who's ute I'm in as it's more versatile when it comes to shooting up or down hill.

Another option that might suite you is one of the Matchbox setups.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 06 Nov 2019, 6:53 am

That doesn't look as cool as a bipod bigfellascott lol.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles