Best Bipod?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Best Bipod?

Post by Shootermick » 03 Nov 2019, 7:10 pm

Oldbloke wrote:What is the main use?

Main use would probably be just across the bonnet of the ute, quicker to set up than grabbing my sand bag is what I’m thinking.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 03 Nov 2019, 7:28 pm

Certainly is mate
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 03 Nov 2019, 9:01 pm

Whilst i run two Harris Bipods, the Javelin made by Spartan is the biz.... attached to the rifle in seconds and weighs nothing - expensive a little but well worth it.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 03 Nov 2019, 9:44 pm

Shootermick wrote:
bigpete wrote:None...;)

Not a bipod fan then I take it big Pete?

I've got 2 Harris bipods....only time they've gone on guns in the last 15 years was for my boy to practice with....so no,not a fan.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 04 Nov 2019, 6:26 am

bigpete wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

I've got 2 Harris bipods....only time they've gone on guns in the last 15 years was for my boy to practice with....so no,not a fan.

So what do you see as their faults bigpete?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 04 Nov 2019, 7:35 am

Shootermick wrote:

Main use would probably be just across the bonnet of the ute, quicker to set up than grabbing my sand bag is what I’m thinking.

l find it the only way l can shoot some longer rifles that are difficult to use out of my wagon window and l can grab a rear bag at the same time
obviously this is while driving around spotlighting :drinks:

the reason l prefer the harris is that after buying a cheap chinese copy a very long time ago l put it on a 300wm and the recoil broke the legs :unknown:
thats not to say they are not made better now :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Nov 2019, 8:06 am

Blr243 wrote:I would prefer bags in the field ( stalking not car hunting)but they are not practical to carry hunting because of the weight and bulk. I could fill my front bag with lightweight recycled plastic shell of some sort but it would still be bulky and a bugger to carry. I have been thinking of some sort of inflatable bag ( 80 per cent full of air ) clipped to the back of my belt so it’s out of the way but not got round to it yet ..... I’m sort of thinking goon bag but that would be punctured quickly and I would have to drink four litres of cheap wine first and I hate wine and then I would just go to sleep instead of going hunting

Mate it will eventually need to be refilled. But use the crystal kitty litter from Coles/woolies. A few different brands.. but shouldn't matter. It gives a reasonable rest and quite light.

Only downside... probably not recommended to use in rain
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Nov 2019, 8:28 am

Thanks for the tip ziad I will look into it. And if I end up useing it I will send u a pm with a pic of the first dead kitty litter pig
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Nov 2019, 9:07 am

Haha thanks mate. Hopefully it works.

I was taking to a friend and he said plastic pallets come in heavy and light form....i got the heavy form and that made my rest bag stable but heavy
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Nov 2019, 11:44 pm

Shootermick wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

So what do you see as their faults bigpete?

They're heavy,noisy,awkward,take too long to set up properly for a shot,and can cause the rifle to act funny during recoil, in my OPINION. Out of a car there's plenty of things to rest on. When stalking,half the time you're standing to take the shot so they're not much use there either. Hell, to be honest,I don't really like even having a scope on my hunting rifles,but the good far outweighs the bad there,especially as my eyes get worse.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2019, 5:12 am

Shootermick wrote:

Just leave your sandbag on the window sill of the ute mate, heaps quicker than stuffing around with bipods (done both over many years and the sandbag is more versatile and quicker to use off a bonnet by far. :thumbsup: (I've got all manner of bipods from Harris, Atlas to cheapies all work the same - some are fixed, others are cant, swivel, tilt) but for shooting off the bonnet none get used now, it's the good ol sandbag that gets the run every time no matter who's ute I'm in as it's more versatile when it comes to shooting up or down hill.

Another option that might suite you is one of the Matchbox setups.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 06 Nov 2019, 6:53 am

That doesn't look as cool as a bipod bigfellascott lol.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2019, 7:01 am

bigpete wrote:That doesn't look as cool as a bipod bigfellascott lol.

But Pete I left my bipod on so it would :lol: It's a multifunctional tactical setup I'm running there mate, only thing I'm missing is mi kickatinny rail to attach my 200000000 lumen spot torch and mi night vision 1000yd eye detector oh and mi rocket launcher thing for knocken off dem dangerous bunny wabbits :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 06 Nov 2019, 9:08 am

What you really need is a 358....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next