Show us ya barrel contour

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Show us ya barrel contour

Post by Am88 » 04 Nov 2019, 3:25 pm

I am torn, getting a swan barrel and he asked me what contour, hopefully he will get into it next week. it will be a .222 Rem Mag, Stainless, Heavy Barrel, so many different websites with contours and measurements but none actually show you a photo, I like to see these things and see what it looks like. So let's see em.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Show us ya barrel contour

Post by in2anity » 04 Nov 2019, 3:54 pm

What profile are you going with? Funnily enough I’m building a 22cal myself atm - I’m hoping for a a #8 STD Target (straight taper to 0.82”). The Krieger website has a comprehensive visual guide to its profiles.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 04 Nov 2019, 4:09 pm

Have not picked one yet, my Tikka T3 Varmint is a fair chunk of Barrel, but it's a bit 'Bland' I guess you could say. It's not a fashion statement but I still want it to look nice ha.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 04 Nov 2019, 4:11 pm

I think i got a straight/ bull barrel around 1.1 inches thick at the muzzle end... hahaha is that thick enough. enough its on a 6mm barrel.. makes the gun heavy... but feels like shooting a 22lr

Its black, long and very thick.... exactly how ladies love it.
(Sorry but this is relevant to my other comment from earlier today.)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 04 Nov 2019, 4:16 pm

looking at shilen contours
#7 standard varmint .890 at muzzle @ 26" 7lbs 1 oz, is stainless but painted with pot belly black

#6 lightweight target .750 at muzzle @ 26" 6lbs

IMHO l would not go the #7 again as it is a long range hunter but is very heavy to carry into position
both these rifle barrels are 27.5" long
hope this helps
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 04 Nov 2019, 4:29 pm

Ah yes see there we go that's good to see, I do like the look of the #7, you can tell it's aftermarket but isn't full of spiral bloody flutes or anything of that such.I do see there is a Palma Contour as well, unsure whats advantageous there.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 04 Nov 2019, 4:43 pm

heres a palmer for you :drinks:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 04 Nov 2019, 4:48 pm

and to show you what the #7 looks like against my faceless image :lol: it really is a heavy farker but shoots dots :thumbsup:
this shot was at just over 600 :drinks:

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 04 Nov 2019, 7:28 pm

So it seems the Palma looks more like a normal barrel contour just up sized. This rifle will mainly be a shot out of the ute window and hide hunting. Not much walking. Just seeing a couple of photos makes it easier so thank you mate. Varmint profile it is and I think I might go #7 or next size up is .95 at muzzle instead of .89.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 04 Nov 2019, 8:07 pm

Am88 wrote:So it seems the Palma looks more like a normal barrel contour just up sized. This rifle will mainly be a shot out of the ute window and hide hunting. Not much walking. Just seeing a couple of photos makes it easier so thank you mate. Varmint profile it is and I think I might go #7 or next size up is .95 at muzzle instead of .89.

Any match grade Palma barrel will shoot ludicrously well mate - better than one can in the field. It’s sufficient for international-grade Palma shooting, but perhaps might fall short in a static competitive benchrest or f-class setting, where a great hunk of metal is required to hold consecutive 1/4 moa or less dots. I’m not trying to talk you one way or another, but I seriously doubt you’d be able to tell the difference between a Palma or Target barrel with how you will use it...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 04 Nov 2019, 9:25 pm

marksman wrote:and to show you what the #7 looks like against my faceless image :lol: it really is a heavy farker but shoots dots :thumbsup:
this shot was at just over 600 :drinks:

You dont need to read the text to know that was a bloody long shot marksman...

Not only can you see it was dark by the time you got to it, but look how much your beard grew in the trip out to the deer...!!...its overgrown your face... :shock:

______

Sorry to break off track of the thread...but bloody hell nan...well done...!!...what a shot...!!!... :clap: :clap: :clap: ...!!

Despite my deep envy, of the knowledge, the shot & the opportunity, id love to have been there...!!

Shooting is just so much fun to do, but also fun to share...& if i was there when that happened, id have been nearly as happy as you marksman--just from seeing it...!!

Maybe im weird...but i get such a kick out of seeing even small sucesses at other people's shooting... :D

Thats just dam good stuff...!!... :clap: ...
Im gonna have an ice cream now... :clap: :D

:drinks:

Ok...as you were...

Im still smiling... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Am88 » 05 Nov 2019, 7:58 am

[quote="in2anity"
Any match grade Palma barrel will shoot ludicrously well mate - better than one can in the field. It’s sufficient for international-grade Palma shooting, but perhaps might fall short in a static competitive benchrest or f-class setting, where a great hunk of metal is required to hold consecutive 1/4 moa or less dots. I’m not trying to talk you one way or another, but I seriously doubt you’d be able to tell the difference between a Palma or Target barrel with how you will use it...[/quote]

Oh yes of course no doubt, I was talking more so for how it looks, I just mean the Palma looks similar in a way to my sport barrels just up sized a bit. :drinks:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Nov 2019, 6:25 pm

You might find this relevant, this is my swan barreled Winchester 70 in 222 rem . Barrel length is 22” , .678” at the crown (17.22mm) the twist is 1-12, it shoots small groups with 55’s , makes one hole with 60vmax . No complaints about the swan boys work. I can’t tell you what contour it is, it’s heavier than a sporter, but still portable. My 243 came back with the same contour, I think it’s the standard contour they do unless you ask for something different. Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Attachments
image.jpg
I’m happy with my swan barrel
image.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5396 times
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Nov 2019, 6:28 pm

cant't beleive it . the pics the right way on my phone, upside down on the computer :roll:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Nov 2019, 6:30 pm

Trying again
Attachments
image.jpg
Try again
image.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5394 times
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 05 Nov 2019, 9:29 pm

your a very funny guy Stix ol'mate :thumbsup: :drinks:
as you can see in the photo l have had time to get out of the camo gear and wipe the sweat off after hiking down to bambi then back to the car carrying the rifle

thats a nice rifle you have there BR l like it :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 05 Nov 2019, 9:43 pm

marksman wrote:your a very funny guy Stix ol'mate :thumbsup: :drinks:
as you can see in the photo l have had time to get out of the camo gear and wipe the sweat off after hiking down to bambi then back to the car carrying the rifle

thats a nice rifle you have there BR l like it :thumbsup:

thanks MM . i like fixing up classics :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 05 Nov 2019, 10:42 pm

Sendero profile 26" ......

Screenshot_20191105-234029_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191105-234029_Gallery.jpg (882.61 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 06 Nov 2019, 7:35 am

Thats a nice looking rich bigrich, does look like a nice profile, small enough but big enough.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Nov 2019, 7:42 am

that winy of BR's would be a good one for out of the ute window :thumbsup: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 06 Nov 2019, 7:52 am

Indeed it would, one thing noticed with a very front heavy rifle is I always felt like I was going to drop the thing out the window, that's why my T3 has 3 reef sinkers glued up it bum to get the balance back to the recoil lug.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 5:36 pm

marksman wrote:that winy of BR's would be a good one for out of the ute window :thumbsup: :drinks:

i spent a nice night with it on a rest over the bonnet of my mates ute , popping grey grasshoppers out to 200 with the 55 vmax's . he was calling the distance with a range finder ( aldi , $150 :o ) and driving the spotlight . we were sitting parked up over a oat crop , the farmers blue dogs ate well that night :lol: :D my mates weapon of choice , brno fox , in 222 of course :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Nov 2019, 5:55 pm

bigrich wrote:
marksman wrote:that winy of BR's would be a good one for out of the ute window :thumbsup: :drinks:

i spent a nice night with it on a rest over the bonnet of my mates ute , popping grey grasshoppers out to 200 with the 55 vmax's . he was calling the distance with a range finder ( aldi , $150 :o ) and driving the spotlight . we were sitting parked up over a oat crop , the farmers blue dogs ate well that night :lol: :D my mates weapon of choice , brno fox , in 222 of course :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

it's a legend cartridge BR :drinks:
this is what mine is capable of at 200 for 10 shots

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 5:55 pm

Seeing as how you guys liked me ol 222, here’s me other Winchester’s
Attachments
image.jpg
Swan barreled 243 , as you can see, same medium weight barrel profile . Scope is a 6-18x40 loopy. It was originally a 70A “westerner”, with blind magazine. No floor plate. I bought one online and converted it .
image.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 5191 times
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 5:59 pm

WOW, that’s some shooting :shock: my rifles probably up to it, but I’m probably not :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 6:07 pm

This is my baby :P my deer rifle. Super Grade 70 , 6.5x55 Madco barrel, 3-9x40 vx3 loopy. Shoots 1/2 @ 100 reliably all the time. Except for the scope this is how I bought it from rebel gun works
Attachments
image.jpg
The “one rifle to rule them all” . At least in my safe ....
image.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 5189 times
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Nov 2019, 6:09 pm

yep it is good shooting but l dont know if l can repeat it as good ever again and l'm not going to try :lol:

the contour of your barrels looks like the magnum profile, it really does suit, thats what l like on a sporter :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 06 Nov 2019, 8:07 pm

Nice gun BR - is that one of the controlled feed m70s?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 8:31 pm

in2anity wrote:Nice gun BR - is that one of the controlled feed m70s?

sure is . one of the last of them made at the carolina USA FN plant .the extractor needed a little deburring to get a smooth feed with 6.5 swede as the rim is a poofteeth bigger than the standard 30-06 rim size . this is the one that i'd keep above all the others i have . okay , i'd have to hang on to the 222 as well ;)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 Nov 2019, 8:59 pm

Nice rifles bigrich... :thumbsup:

Id say id like the 222, but if i did that you'd trade it in & not tell me... :?

:lol: :drinks:

But if i ever get up there to have a shot with you i bags it for an afternoon & night of sniping bunnies... :D ... :lol:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles