Show us ya barrel contour

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Show us ya barrel contour

Post by Am88 » 06 Nov 2019, 7:35 am

Thats a nice looking rich bigrich, does look like a nice profile, small enough but big enough.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Nov 2019, 7:42 am

that winy of BR's would be a good one for out of the ute window :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 06 Nov 2019, 7:52 am

Indeed it would, one thing noticed with a very front heavy rifle is I always felt like I was going to drop the thing out the window, that's why my T3 has 3 reef sinkers glued up it bum to get the balance back to the recoil lug.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 5:36 pm

marksman wrote:that winy of BR's would be a good one for out of the ute window :thumbsup: :drinks:

i spent a nice night with it on a rest over the bonnet of my mates ute , popping grey grasshoppers out to 200 with the 55 vmax's . he was calling the distance with a range finder ( aldi , $150 :o ) and driving the spotlight . we were sitting parked up over a oat crop , the farmers blue dogs ate well that night :lol: :D my mates weapon of choice , brno fox , in 222 of course :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Nov 2019, 5:55 pm

bigrich wrote:
marksman wrote:that winy of BR's would be a good one for out of the ute window :thumbsup: :drinks:

i spent a nice night with it on a rest over the bonnet of my mates ute , popping grey grasshoppers out to 200 with the 55 vmax's . he was calling the distance with a range finder ( aldi , $150 :o ) and driving the spotlight . we were sitting parked up over a oat crop , the farmers blue dogs ate well that night :lol: :D my mates weapon of choice , brno fox , in 222 of course :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

it's a legend cartridge BR :drinks:
this is what mine is capable of at 200 for 10 shots

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 5:55 pm

Seeing as how you guys liked me ol 222, here’s me other Winchester’s
Attachments
image.jpg
Swan barreled 243 , as you can see, same medium weight barrel profile . Scope is a 6-18x40 loopy. It was originally a 70A “westerner”, with blind magazine. No floor plate. I bought one online and converted it .
image.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 5134 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 5:59 pm

WOW, that’s some shooting :shock: my rifles probably up to it, but I’m probably not :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 6:07 pm

This is my baby :P my deer rifle. Super Grade 70 , 6.5x55 Madco barrel, 3-9x40 vx3 loopy. Shoots 1/2 @ 100 reliably all the time. Except for the scope this is how I bought it from rebel gun works
Attachments
image.jpg
The “one rifle to rule them all” . At least in my safe ....
image.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 5132 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Nov 2019, 6:09 pm

yep it is good shooting but l dont know if l can repeat it as good ever again and l'm not going to try :lol:

the contour of your barrels looks like the magnum profile, it really does suit, thats what l like on a sporter :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 06 Nov 2019, 8:07 pm

Nice gun BR - is that one of the controlled feed m70s?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 8:31 pm

in2anity wrote:Nice gun BR - is that one of the controlled feed m70s?

sure is . one of the last of them made at the carolina USA FN plant .the extractor needed a little deburring to get a smooth feed with 6.5 swede as the rim is a poofteeth bigger than the standard 30-06 rim size . this is the one that i'd keep above all the others i have . okay , i'd have to hang on to the 222 as well ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 Nov 2019, 8:59 pm

Nice rifles bigrich... :thumbsup:

Id say id like the 222, but if i did that you'd trade it in & not tell me... :?

:lol: :drinks:

But if i ever get up there to have a shot with you i bags it for an afternoon & night of sniping bunnies... :D ... :lol:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 06 Nov 2019, 9:07 pm

bigrich wrote:

sure is . one of the last of them made at the carolina USA FN plant .the extractor needed a little deburring to get a smooth feed with 6.5 swede as the rim is a poofteeth bigger than the standard 30-06 rim size . this is the one that i'd keep above all the others i have . okay , i'd have to hang on to the 222 as well ;)

I’m building a custom 223 myself as we speak, with a Swan hopefully - and I so nearly picked up an old m70 Super for it - but i really need the 10shot mag as it’s primarily for field positional target - I ended up going with an old shot-out .204 Howa 1500 in walnut. I think push-feed might be better for the range anyway, and I couldn’t seem to easily find 10-shot conversion kits for the old m70s?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Nov 2019, 4:48 am

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:

I’m building a custom 223 myself as we speak, with a Swan hopefully - and I so nearly picked up an old m70 Super for it - but i really need the 10shot mag as it’s primarily for field positional target - I ended up going with an old shot-out .204 Howa 1500 in walnut. I think push-feed might be better for the range anyway, and I couldn’t seem to easily find 10-shot conversion kits for the old m70s?

As far as I’m aware, no one makes a mag conversion for model 70’s .push feed is a simpler option for most situations, you have to clip the round into the magazine with a CRF , or risk breaking the extractor as it has to try to spring over the edge of the round as it loads . The model 70 push feed is copied of the early jap made Weatherby I’ve read online. Lots of people reckon their push feeds are more accurate than their CRF’s as well. In all my time surfing the web , the only bad thing I can find said about them I can find is some batches of the extreme weather models don’t shoot well. The early push feeds and American made CRF have a outstanding reputation for accuracy and reliability. I really like the triggers on them, no creep at all and the same clean release every time. Easy to adjust, service and polish the sears . Sako triggers are very nice, but the model 70, triggers and actions, are brilliant in their simplicity. I don’t mind them ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Nov 2019, 5:03 am

Stix wrote:Nice rifles bigrich... :thumbsup:

Id say id like the 222, but if i did that you'd trade it in & not tell me... :?

:lol: :drinks:

But if i ever get up there to have a shot with you i bags it for an afternoon & night of sniping bunnies... :D ... :lol:
:drinks:

That 222 isn’t going anywhere, stix ol’ mate. Not a lot of rabbits up here in QLD, you might have to bring some of your zombie wabbits up with you :lol:

I don’t think the DPI would like that very much but ;) 222 is great for the grey grasshoppers , I got the 243 for more reach, once my load development is done I’ll have to test that out :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 07 Nov 2019, 7:47 am

They are some nice rifles bigrich, I'm always torn between wanting to go timber and blued or stainless and aftermarket stock, I've got a mix of both, marksman that's nice shooting, best group I've had in my T3 .222 I could cover 5 shots with a 5 cent coin @ 100m with the genuine barrel and powder thrower loads I load in bulk, That's shooting from my window rest in the ute however not a bench, I've always sighted my rifles in how I'm going to use them, and the ranges here are always so busy I never go to them, always rushed and feel harassed and can't take my time.

On a plus the project turned up yesterday, barrelled action is out and ready to send down, needed a good scrub and degrease, and a shame I dont think I will get to keep to old school looking leupold rings and base on it, unless I can find a higher set, 56mm scope going on this one. Stock is better then I thought, I may even just leave the finish for a while it's in good nick until I get sick of it.
Attachments
CMC 2.jpg
CMC 2.jpg (590.42 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
CMC 1.jpg
CMC 1.jpg (816.96 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 07 Nov 2019, 8:16 am

bigrich wrote:Sako triggers are very nice, but the model 70, triggers and actions, are brilliant in their simplicity. I don’t mind them ;)

What do you estimate your m70 trigger weight to be BR?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 07 Nov 2019, 8:21 am

Am88 wrote:a shame I dont think I will get to keep to old school looking leupold rings and base on it, unless I can find a higher set, 56mm scope going on this one. Stock is better then I thought, I may even just leave the finish for a while it's in good nick until I get sick of it.

Isn't it interesting, we all have our own tastes - for shots up to and including 300m (which is 90% of my shooting), you'll rarely catch me using a scope far beyond a 40mm obj. I always aim to mount the scope as low as humanely possible. Closer to the bore the better in my books. To each to their own. :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 07 Nov 2019, 8:35 am

in2anity wrote:Isn't it interesting, we all have our own tastes - for shots up to and including 300m (which is 90% of my shooting), you'll rarely catch me using a scope far beyond a 40mm obj. I always aim to mount the scope as low as humanely possible. Closer to the bore the better in my books. To each to their own. :drinks:

Yeah I have both TBH, I think it's just mainly what I will use it for, low light work and spotlight work, I'm sure it's half true and half placebo effect aswell of a bigger objective in lower light ha ha field of view is pretty good but on bigger lens compared to my 40mm scopes.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Nov 2019, 8:51 am

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:Sako triggers are very nice, but the model 70, triggers and actions, are brilliant in their simplicity. I don’t mind them ;)

What do you estimate your m70 trigger weight to be BR?

Dunno to be honest, I adjust the pull weight to what feels right for me. You can get 70 triggers adjusted quite light . I’d say my pull weight is the lightest on my 222 to suit what I do , the 6.5 is a bit heavier as it’s a “walk about “ sporter. Amazing how much lighter a trigger feels when you’re adrenaline is up . ;) all our tastes in rifles are different, which makes things interesting. Otherwise we’d just be talking about how nicely our 223 Tikka t3’s shoot , and it would be a short conversation :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 14 Dec 2019, 2:31 pm

1E5B44BE-35B5-457C-8C96-6780CD714E9B.jpeg
Lothar-Walter varmint profile, cut down to 22”. HOWA 1500SA. HOWA walnut. 223.
1E5B44BE-35B5-457C-8C96-6780CD714E9B.jpeg (140.32 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles