Tikka LSA-55 half resto

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka LSA-55 half resto

Post by Am88 » 06 Nov 2019, 8:17 am

So was looking in the safe last night, pondering, and picked up Dad's old rifle to move it out of the way. I'd had a few beers and got to thinking why I have never wanted to give this rifle a bit of love. It's older then I am, probably better lookin and just needs a little work. Embarrassed to say that I do not use this rifle, and the only reason I don't is because the bolt ejector claw is worn and the shells do not eject, they spit off the bolt face as soon as extracted from chamber, So I tend to just leave it in the safe and it's been forgotten. More I think now about it the more I'm disgusted with myself for not fixing it and using it, considering this is the rifle that got me in love with the .222 cartridge as a kid and still shooting it, I'm going to be a father shortly too and I think that triggered a thought of getting to teach my child to shoot with Poppy's rifle. It was Dad's old roo rifle, right down the original Weaver K-4 scope and genuine Tikka Rings. 2 things have changed, the front sight had been removed many years ago due to the last 2 inches of barrel being severely worn from cleaning rods, and the varnish type hard stock finish removed and oiled instead. So I think it's time.

Questions I have, to redo the blueing, has anyone got a product recommendation for this? And does anyone know bolt disassembly to remove the extractor claw?
Attachments
Tikka LSA 55 2.jpg
Tikka LSA 55 2.jpg (464.26 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
Tikka LSA 55.jpg
Tikka LSA 55.jpg (697.29 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Tikka LSA-55 half resto

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Nov 2019, 9:27 am

G'day Am88,
I have used Birchwood Casey Cold Blue paste (preferred to their liquid) with good results. the secrets are thorough degreasing with acetone, and be ready to apply more coatings than the instructions tell you over a few more days. Ask your LGS about having someone professionally hot blue your rifle, and weigh the cost against your time to DIY. To remove the extractor, you can gently push out on the claw until the retaining tab clears the notch in the bolt, or use a very fine jewellers screwdriver to compress the plunger at the rear of the claw and lift the extractor claw out. This is best done with the entire bolt inside a clear plastic bag as the plunger may pop out under spring pressure and is a pain to find and almost impossible to replace, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 06 Nov 2019, 9:33 am

Thank you for the instruction on that mate, Ill see how I go tonight and give it a go.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Nov 2019, 5:29 pm

go the whole hog Am88 and get it fixed up with a new barrel and a re-blued action . sounds like a nice old heirloom that deserves it . especially cause it's a 222 :thumbsup: ...
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 06 Nov 2019, 7:38 pm

I have two Tikkas of this vintage, both with the Deluxe stock now. When it came to metalwork I have used Cerakote on the LSA55, and will follow suit with the M55 which is currently under restoration. I have a thread going it to show the progress. I hade the LSA re-blued many years ago, but found it wore off again very easily. It did get considerable field use in those days, so perhaps I expected too much of the bluing.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 07 Nov 2019, 7:57 am

GQshayne wrote:I have two Tikkas of this vintage, both with the Deluxe stock now. When it came to metalwork I have used Cerakote on the LSA55, and will follow suit with the M55 which is currently under restoration. I have a thread going it to show the progress. I hade the LSA re-blued many years ago, but found it wore off again very easily. It did get considerable field use in those days, so perhaps I expected too much of the bluing.

That's a bloody good idea mate, I may look into cerakote, can't say I ever thought of it. Also love the deluxe stock of your project, beautiful stocks.

She's a good old piece of work bigrich, the barrel is pretty short now so a nice sporter contour I may look into, after I finish the mountaineer however. Not a piece of plastic or aluminium on it I don't think. Didn't take any photo's but fully stripped it down last night, don't realise how many years and years of gunk will build up in places, inside scope rings, triggers, in the magazine, it's had a good life haha. I was speaking to Dad yesterday and stories always come up about his old cars, I always harp on about he never should have sold things like his 4 door HJ GTS, HQ Drag car, Panelvans etc. all the stuff that's worth heaps now, and he's right when he said "well back then they weren't worth anything so you don't think anything of it, ya get rid of it and get a new one" same with rifles I guess, ya get rid of things that you think are worthless and get another one, this one he kept luckily.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 07 Nov 2019, 7:53 pm

All steel it is, and a good basis for a project. Triggers are excellent. I have heard comment about them being one of the best factory triggers ever made. Can be made very accurate too.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Nov 2019, 3:49 pm

went into the LGS and explained what I wanted to touch up the bluing on a 222 barrel. Got a bottle of G96 Gun Blue Creme.
I need to give it a few more coats but am generally happy with the results
I tried to 'dab' it on and should have applied it along the barrel.
If you want to try this, let me know and I'll send it to you. I only used a very little bit...See photos.
R788.01.jpg
R788.01.jpg (268.68 KiB) Viewed 6944 times
I
R788.02.jpg
R788.02.jpg (159.86 KiB) Viewed 6944 times

R788.03.jpg
R788.03.jpg (172.78 KiB) Viewed 6944 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 13 Nov 2019, 7:17 am

Touch up looks pretty good mate, local shops didn't have the G96 stuff so got Birchwood Casey instead, will see how it goes this weekend hopefully.

It is a good trigger GQshayne, I wouldn't know what sought of # it is set at don't have a gauge, it is set as low as it will go without slam firing, never had an issue so far. It probably needs a clean inside of it as well. Going to machine some pillars hopefully Friday and see if I can get it bedded this weekend. Don't know what I would like to do with a scope as yet, as much as I'd like to keep it original the scope is cloudy and not very nice to look through, may be able to find an old Kahles 6 power or something for cheap.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 13 Nov 2019, 7:38 pm

Personally, I think pillars are not needed with the Tikka. It has a good mounting system between the recoil lug and tang. A good bedding job is enough for less than MOA without going to the effort of pillars. Of course, often we do stuff just because we can, so if it floats you boat go for it. My .17 shot maybe 0.5 MOA or so (I didn't measure it) without pillars, and I am only an average shot.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by B4408 » 14 Nov 2019, 7:59 pm

I broke the extractor on my 55, my fault. I was able to get a new extractor from Beratta Aust. through local dealer earlier this year. They had them in stock.
Trigger can be adjusted easily.

Bruce
B4408
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 15 Nov 2019, 7:53 am

Fair enough GQShayne, the timber does seem pretty dense after years of compression probably so your right it is probably not needed.

That's awesome Mate got a Beretta dealer here in town so will give them a call and see if they can help me out a bit. good stuff thank you.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 19 Nov 2019, 7:13 am

B4408, great tip, rang the local smith and one is on order, he said it's the extractor from an M55 not LSA55 but they use the same part number so not sure if he was just trying to confuse me. Thanks
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 19 Nov 2019, 7:41 pm

They are the same rifle Am88. A bit of history for you, as I understand it. Some factories do not have perfect records, like Anschutz for example, so 100% accuracy is difficult. But this is what I figured out.

If you look at old Tikkakoski Ab documents you will not find any mention of the LSA55. I originally assumed that my old LSA55 from the 1970's had been superseded by the new model of M55, but that is incorrect as the M55 model designation started in the late 1960's (or thereabouts from memory)

A clue for you - if your rifle is original, have a look at the butt plate, and it will have "Ithaca" stamped on it. Barrel and action will have "Tikkakoski" stamped on it. The reason for this is that this rifle was imported into the USA by the Ithaca Trading Company, and they branded the rifle with their own name to sell it. So in the USA for a period of time, they were sold as an Ithaca LSA55. Apart from the Brand and model designation there is no difference I am aware of. The only thing that I am assuming is the stock options available - I have seen LSA's with the standard stock, as well as the Deluxe version that I have. M55's tend to have the darker straight combed stock. I cannot recall seeing an M55 with a Deluxe stock. Most you see with the fancy stock are LSA's. This kind of stock was popular in the US, so that would make sense. Perhaps this is why both models were sold here, so that the customers had stock options.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 20 Nov 2019, 7:56 am

GQshayne wrote:They are the same rifle Am88. A bit of history for you, as I understand it. Some factories do not have perfect records, like Anschutz for example, so 100% accuracy is difficult. But this is what I figured out.

If you look at old Tikkakoski Ab documents you will not find any mention of the LSA55. I originally assumed that my old LSA55 from the 1970's had been superseded by the new model of M55, but that is incorrect as the M55 model designation started in the late 1960's (or thereabouts from memory)

A clue for you - if your rifle is original, have a look at the butt plate, and it will have "Ithaca" stamped on it. Barrel and action will have "Tikkakoski" stamped on it. The reason for this is that this rifle was imported into the USA by the Ithaca Trading Company, and they branded the rifle with their own name to sell it. So in the USA for a period of time, they were sold as an Ithaca LSA55. Apart from the Brand and model designation there is no difference I am aware of. The only thing that I am assuming is the stock options available - I have seen LSA's with the standard stock, as well as the Deluxe version that I have. M55's tend to have the darker straight combed stock. I cannot recall seeing an M55 with a Deluxe stock. Most you see with the fancy stock are LSA's. This kind of stock was popular in the US, so that would make sense. Perhaps this is why both models were sold here, so that the customers had stock options.

I will keep my eye on the the gunsmith's receipt then don't want to get ripped for 'fitting', I thought the M55's and LSA's were ever so slightly different, I did however know they were also called Ithaca's but didn't know the origin of it, I will check again tonight, but pretty sure they butt plate sais Tikka, and I always though the barrel was stamped Tikkasako, but it could be Tikkakoski I will have a look. Dad bought the rifle new so would be interesting to see and why it may be different.

Done a clean up of all parts over the weekend, might hit it with the blue a couple more times to get it a little darker but came out a lot nicer then it was. I'll reassemble the barreled action to take it into get the bolt done for this weekend then will have a look at the bedding when it comes back.
Attachments
Tikka Barrelled action (2).jpg
Tikka Barrelled action (2).jpg (215.02 KiB) Viewed 6585 times
Tikka Barrelled action.jpg
Tikka Barrelled action.jpg (236.94 KiB) Viewed 6585 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 20 Nov 2019, 7:59 pm

When your rifle was made, Tikkakoski were most likely still their own company - they were not owned by Sako until 1983.

Butt plates are often changed, so that is only a guide, but if the action is stamped as an LSA then it is an Ithaca.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 21 Nov 2019, 7:44 am

Yep stamped Tikkakoski, dunno where I was getting Tikkasako from :lol: too many beers, Buttplate is stamped tikka however and deffinataly and LSA. Got it back together last night to drop it off to smith this weekend to get the ejector claw fixed as I had a go at getting it out and can't figure it out, may have another look tonight. definitely looks a lot cleaner and a little nicer now, got some new screws on order for the scope rings. Have also found a couple of second hand Kahles fixed 4 power and six powers I'm thinking about having a look at, or I may stick with a Weaver K6 or something instead to keep it all blued.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 21 Nov 2019, 7:48 pm

Both of mine have Meoptas on them, but that was purely a practical decision.

As for the stock, who knows??? Perhaps it was only the Deluxe stocks that had "Ithaca" stamped on them. Seems odd that the model and stock would differ though. Hmmmm……. :huh: It's an old rifle, so it may have been changed at some point.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 22 Nov 2019, 7:15 am

GQshayne wrote:Both of mine have Meoptas on them, but that was purely a practical decision.

As for the stock, who knows??? Perhaps it was only the Deluxe stocks that had "Ithaca" stamped on them. Seems odd that the model and stock would differ though. Hmmmm……. :huh: It's an old rifle, so it may have been changed at some point.

Can confirm it's never changed, doesn't matter either way. looking forward to getting it to the smith to get extractor fixed. Would make a good little night time walkaround gun up here for smaller game. Truth be told I've shot more Chital for meat with a .222 then anything else, but the tikka is getting a bit heavy to tote around and do that, it's around 12 pounds now :lol:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 23 Nov 2019, 6:57 pm

Saw something interesting today. My old stock from the M55 has a Tikka recoil pad in it - but no screw holes, as it was glued on. When I removed it, there was screw holes in the stock.

I won't speculate as to why. :roll:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 25 Nov 2019, 8:40 am

So confirmed the age on weekend, was talking to dad about it, He's just turned 60 and he bought it new when he was 17 or 18 he said, so it's either 1976 or 1977, so a bit older then I thought. May have found a nice little scope for it, will see if I can nab it before someone else before stating what it is, I may get lucky.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 30 Dec 2019, 8:28 am

Finally got around to the bedding. I had never bedded a timber stock before this one. All composite or plastic. I'm happy with the results, this was straight after pulling the action this morning. Bit of a clean up this afternoon then can get back to assembly. Bedded with Devcon 10110

Also got a new second hand scope and some new rings to go with it.

Cheers
Attachments
tikka.jpg
tikka.jpg (195.51 KiB) Viewed 6387 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 30 Dec 2019, 8:45 am

the bedding looks clean and a pretty good job that l'd be very happy with :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 30 Dec 2019, 10:29 am

Thanks marksman, I'm actually getting a bit excited to give it a burl now. Got some 50gr 1330 sierras to load develop along with my Sako for head shooting deer.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 30 Dec 2019, 7:40 pm

Yep, looks good!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 31 Dec 2019, 8:33 am

Didn't get around to fitting the scope. But got barrelled action back in stock. I'm pretty happy how it turned out, only thing I do not like is the gap on the right hand side of the I letting bit it was like that from factory so it wasn't something I did.
Also got the little Kahles ready to go, got a 4A reticle so should be pretty nice to shoot at night with. Ordered some optilocks yesterday for it after having a good experience on my Sako with them and I like the look of them. Went with the one piece.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (225.05 KiB) Viewed 6363 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (217 KiB) Viewed 6363 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (170.04 KiB) Viewed 6363 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 31 Dec 2019, 11:35 am

Looking very good mate. A bloke was shooting one of those in 243 on the 200m line into a minute the other day. Very nice, tight action indeed with an impressive trigger.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 02 Jan 2020, 8:03 am

I have actually been seeing alot of these online in .243 and .22-250, almost thought of picking another up because of the action and trigger and having it re-barelled. but at the moment im 8 weeks in to waiting for my Swan barrel.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 02 Jan 2020, 7:54 pm

Coming along nicely. Mine won't be too far away from re-assembly. I just need some Cerakoting finished off.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 04 Jan 2020, 10:29 am

Thought I would lay it out nicely for its first kill in a while. I waxed the stock too with some Birchwood Casey wax. Came out not too bad. Waiting on the optilocks for now then I will do some load development. Shot this with some factory rem rounds. Just sighted it in enough to use it at the moment. The little Kahles is beautiful to shoot with at night, I assed this bugger when he was dumb enough to stay in my spotlight.
Attachments
IMG20200104053549.jpg
IMG20200104053549.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 6328 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles