Thoughts on the "Howa HLR 6.5 Creedmoor Rifle"?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Thoughts on the "Howa HLR 6.5 Creedmoor Rifle"?

Post by flutch » 10 Dec 2019, 9:56 pm

not so much a suggestion, more a confirmed material witness account. but sure bud keep patting your own back.

actually I will add reasons they do just to clarify I'm not dissing their ability to shoot in general.

- They tend to mess about for too long

for the 4 reasons above they most commonly miss, secondary to that

- they dont judge distance on the fly (dont ask me why)
- they are too busy worrying about wind/temp/grass
- always waiting for some sort of perfect shot
- make too much noise and scare off the fox etc
- have some prohibitively over complicated scope setup or bipod setup instead of just aiming the gun at the fox
- forever messing with their windage and elevation

these are the most common things I have personally noticed as a common trait, and after 26 years of shooting foxes I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing....

I'm certain that there are club guys out there that are versed at spotlighting etc also, however not in my general experience, and after all I'm not going to speak from someone else's experience am I.

An account I do know of, that isnt my own, is a team of guys from a Perth club went to a friends farm a couple of red cards ago, old mates farm was lousy with foxes, and his terrain is such that you are never shooting over 300m. With what he would call a good 20+ opportunities to take out foxes the shooters only managed to land shots on 2. These same guys approached my mate with all their rigmarole of score cards, photos and evidence of their accuracy etc etc, he was optimistic but then after all three of them performed as above they educated a minimum of 18 foxes and only killed 2.

so to say that its naive that an F-Class shooter would miss is to be completely Naive of the variables in a real life shooting environment as opposed to being setup with 10k worth of gear at a range.

cheers.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 10 Dec 2019, 10:17 pm

anyways, enough of that, to the OP choose something that not only fits your budget but your aspirations and comfort level with ammo etc. there are a lot of fad cartridges and always have been and only time tells what sticks and what fades into obscurity, the latter becomes expensive to maintain ammo for later on.

hope whatever you choose brings you a mountain of fun and enjoyment and that you get proficient with it and have no to little trouble with speed humps on ya road to shooting.

cheers.

P.S. I second getting anything in a HOWA
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Dec 2019, 10:32 pm

I am sure you are right and some blokes will stuff around before taking a shot. I am sure you will understand that I have experienced guys who say they are hunters and then cannot hit a target at 100 metres with any consistency. One guy saw me putting 1/4 inch dots on a piece of card for him and said " those dots are very small"

You need to have a balance between bushcraft and marksmanship. I find if I practice shooting freehand at the range, I can make the shot in the paddock. No practice and I suck. If I don't get out hunting for a while I don't see anything until it runs off. Lots of time out bush and I see lots more things.

On a personal note, you come across with a Gen Y , know better than everyone else attitude. You sound like you are 26, not someone who has been hunting for 26 years. If you don't like having moronic conversations, then don't be the moron in the conversation.

If you like flat shooting fast calibers you should build yourself a 20 BR Dasher and shoot 40 grain projectiles. A 204 Ruger is almost as good. Not much flatter shooting at hunting distances.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 11 Dec 2019, 10:09 am

SCJ429 wrote:I am sure you are right and some blokes will stuff around before taking a shot. I am sure you will understand that I have experienced guys who say they are hunters and then cannot hit a target at 100 metres with any consistency. One guy saw me putting 1/4 inch dots on a piece of card for him and said " those dots are very small"

You need to have a balance between bushcraft and marksmanship. I find if I practice shooting freehand at the range, I can make the shot in the paddock. No practice and I suck. If I don't get out hunting for a while I don't see anything until it runs off. Lots of time out bush and I see lots more things.

On a personal note, you come across with a Gen Y , know better than everyone else attitude. You sound like you are 26, not someone who has been hunting for 26 years. If you don't like having moronic conversations, then don't be the moron in the conversation.

If you like flat shooting fast calibers you should build yourself a 20 BR Dasher and shoot 40 grain projectiles. A 204 Ruger is almost as good. Not much flatter shooting at hunting distances.

much much older than 26. but sure whatevs.

and yes I know people that call themselves "Hunters" also that when you see them in action it seems miraculous that they even know what end of the bangstick is the hot end. My initial point which has been butthurt into oblivion is that even people who can shoot long distances consistently more often suck at hunting situations, ergo, making a choice on a firearm based on their applications isnt always the most suited choice, nothing more.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ferrisweil » 11 Dec 2019, 12:31 pm

There may be long range shooters who can’t “hunt” and there are probably hunters who can’t shoot long range, but more painful than either is the online “keyboard” know-it-all.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Dec 2019, 2:33 pm

Rotfl
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles