Howa v/s Lithgow v/s Tikka?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Howa v/s Lithgow v/s Tikka?

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Dec 2019, 10:06 am

Thanks scoot
I definetely agree
It seems (to me) that if you want quality
You buy a Tikka

The finish joke was pretty funny too
I enjoyed that hahahahaha

Okay cool so so far:

Howa's = 6x
Tikka's = 2x
Lithgow's = 0x

:-)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 14 Dec 2019, 11:01 am

I have 3 Tikka,s and 3 Howa,s
out of the box wise Tikka,s *** Howa,s **
Feel and quality Tikka,s *** Howa,s
Ruggedness / carefactor when out bush with it Tikka,s * Howa,s ****
Cost Tikka,s*** Howa,s *****
The upshot is they are nearly the same out of the box feel and quality Howa,s can,t compare because of the cost factor but they are a good gun For the price you pay..
Sorry never bought a Lithgow looked at a few and just na
My next would probaly be another Tikka
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Dec 2019, 11:22 am

Thank you for your feedback pomemax

So far:
- Howa's = 6x
- Tikka's = 3x
- Lithgow's = 0x
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Dec 2019, 11:36 am

I own a Ferrari and a Honda civic, which one is better...i mean both will get me to the pub and back, one cost 3k the other cost 300k. One has never broken down, the other one has broken down twice (Not the cheap one)

Lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 14 Dec 2019, 11:50 am

Its a bit like that eh Ziad I was thinking "how long is a piece of string " when i was typing my answer
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Dec 2019, 11:54 am

I may be wrong

But it seems to me that;

- If you want quality
Go with Tikka

- If you wanna save money
Go with Howa

- If you wanna support Australian Jobs
Go with Lithgow
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 14 Dec 2019, 12:35 pm

Do howas have adjustable triggers ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 14 Dec 2019, 1:43 pm

Lithgow. Just because no else has “voted” for it.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Dec 2019, 2:18 pm

You could own six Howas or this Barnard. I would be proud to own the Barnard and it is a pleasure to use one.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=161025
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 14 Dec 2019, 2:58 pm

I went with Lithgow for my first rifle, purely because IMHO Australian industry should be supported, especially with something so relatively inexpensive.
Some guys have many guns and not even one made in this country!?

In this world of too much choice, keep it simple on what is most important to you.
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 14 Dec 2019, 3:01 pm

Blr243 wrote:Do howas have adjustable triggers ?

yeah, the HACT is adjustable, Mines all the way down around a few ounces, with 0 creep, like a really hairy set trigger lol, safety still works and shoots like a dream.

also TheFirearmEnthusiast, I wouldn't say howa isn't quality. plenty of tikka shooters have wanted my 223.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 14 Dec 2019, 3:25 pm

Thanks flutch
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 14 Dec 2019, 3:32 pm

Something that can be hard to find in a tikka is soul, whilst a perfectly good functioning tool it just feels cold in the hands, contrast that with the warm feeling of a Blued steel Howa... :lol: :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Dec 2019, 5:32 pm

The thing that I like about the Tikka's as well is the fact that they're made in Finland

When I was a kid growing up
I always got told that Finland had incredibly great quality control
(The whole of Europe generally has great quality control but Finland even more I always got told)

And in Finland, they have a massive gun culture there, they have a massive hunting culture there, that's why I guess I trust the Finnish people a lot more when it comes to firearms since firearms and hunting are such an incredibly big part of their culture

Howa even though it has great reviews and feedback from people
Howa on the other hand is a Japanese brand
And firearms are not part of the Japanese culture at all
I think that 99% of the Japanese population probably don't even know anything about firearms
It's even wayyyyyyyy harder to get a firearm in Japan
Historically speaking; they have way closer ties to samurai swords instead of firearms

That's why I guess Tikka gives me a greater peace of mind
(Due to the Finnish extreme historical and cultural ties to firearms)

I don't know if anyone agrees with that logic but yeah
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Dec 2019, 5:33 pm

Thanks Flutch

I'll probably end up buying a Howa as well

But I don't know

I seem to feel something special for Tikka's haha
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2019, 5:36 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You could own six Howas or this Barnard. I would be proud to own the Barnard and it is a pleasure to use one.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=161025

Probably a great choice, if you're into shooting competition.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Dec 2019, 5:49 pm

flutch wrote:

yeah, the HACT is adjustable, Mines all the way down around a few ounces, with 0 creep, like a really hairy set trigger lol, safety still works and shoots like a dream.

also TheFirearmEnthusiast, I wouldn't say howa isn't quality. plenty of tikka shooters have wanted my 223.

Yep got a few Sako owners who were wondering why they bought Sakos after seeing and using my Howas - everyone one of em said that f***ing things shoots amazing for the $$$ - I've owned a Sako and sold it, haven't sold a Howa yet! :D

Howa actions smooth up just fine if ya know what ya doing and the triggers can be made very crisp indeed again if you know what you are doing. I've had to modify my Tikka Trigger as it wasn't as good as my Howas after they were worked, (from memory I filled down the grub screw in the Tikka) can't remember now if I trimmed a ring of the spring or just changed the spring for a lighter one.

The other thing I liked about the Howas over the tikka I own is it's ability to be top loaded, which comes in handy when spotlighting. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bill » 14 Dec 2019, 5:50 pm

you might want to read up on modern Quality Control mate, its what the Japanese perfected not the Finnish :drinks:

https://www.bpir.com/total-quality-mana ... r.com.html

the last rifle I sold was a Tikka, it could only manage 5 shot moa with factory ammo, it was replaced with a Ruger that shoots 0.5 moa or less with factory ammo, dont get caught up with the hype Tikka Fanboi's put out there.

and my next rifle will be a Howa 6.5 PRC HB for long range work, just waiting for confirmation on an ETA to OZ

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Dec 2019, 5:58 pm

Mm

It seems that the Tikka's and the Howa's are both such great rifle brands
(Based on what you guys are saying)

They seem to be both so good

I'll probably end up buying both and see which one I like the most

A lot of people seem to love Howa's
(Which is a great sign)

Would you guys say that the action of the Howa's are just as smooth as the action of the Tikka's or?

It's hard to explain
But to me
When a rifle has an incredibly silky smooth action
It's just so incredibly pleasant
It's such an incredibly pleasant experience
It gives you such pleasure operating the rifle when the action is silky smooth
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Steve-0 » 14 Dec 2019, 6:03 pm

As far as Tikkas go, I would love a hunter stainless with the fluted barrel in 7mm rem mag.
Lithgows I think are a real nice gun, haven't shot one but shouldered one at shot show, and it felt really good, it had the laminated stock. Mint.
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Dec 2019, 6:04 pm

Mm

I may listen to you Bill

I may look more into the Howa's

They do sound great according to what everyone is saying
:-)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 14 Dec 2019, 7:22 pm

I've got a few tikkas and think they are great. The bolt is very loose in the action so gives the impression it's smooth. They don't seem to be the bargain they once we're though.
However the metal to metal finish on my lithgows is so much better. If the la102 wasn't so heavy, I'd hunt with it as it's crazy accurate in 308 and 223.

I don't own a howa yet but have come very close to getting the howa bravo in 6mm a few times. The howa is a rem 700 clone which can't be a bad thing. They are a good budget rifle.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Dec 2019, 7:32 pm

Bill wrote:you might want to read up on modern Quality Control mate, its what the Japanese perfected not the Finnish :drinks:

https://www.bpir.com/total-quality-mana ... r.com.html

the last rifle I sold was a Tikka, it could only manage 5 shot moa with factory ammo, it was replaced with a Ruger that shoots 0.5 moa or less with factory ammo, dont get caught up with the hype Tikka Fanboi's put out there.

and my next rifle will be a Howa 6.5 PRC HB for long range work, just waiting for confirmation on an ETA to OZ

Don't be fooled that the Japanese have a monopoly on QA Bill. The Chinese are not know for QA but they have a space program and when they put their mind and money to it they can do things as well as any one.

Have you noticed that Scandinavian country's are know for quality firearms products made by Bofors, Alliant, Sako, Norma and Lapua to name a few.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 14 Dec 2019, 7:42 pm

Would you say that the Tikka's are of better/of more premium quality than the Howa's SCJ429?

In all honesty
Being new to firearms
I find it quite surprising that the Japanese make firearms, in the sense that they have no cultural links nor do they have any historical links with firearms whatsover
Firearms are not part of the Japanese culture at all
So interesting that they make firearms
I was surprised when I heard that Howa was Japanese
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 14 Dec 2019, 7:47 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Would you say that the Tikka's are of better/of more premium quality than the Howa's SCJ429?

In all honesty
Being new to firearms
I find it quite surprising that the Japanese make firearms, in the sense that they have no cultural links nor do they have any historical links with firearms whatsover

The Japanese have always filled in market space with their manufacturing, there isn't a great demand for big 4+ litre off-road vehicles there either but they're the world leaders in that regards, having made the patrol, cruiser and pajero's for years as well as very capable small 4x4 vehicles like the suzuki's. there is no arguing their ability in this regards however they themselves don't have a huge market for it.

Howa also manufacture the Vanguard series rifles for Weatherby and also used to manufacture rifles for CMC here in Australia as well as for, and this is a big one, Sako.

that and they obviously have a military. HOWA automatic rifles used to be standard issue for them, and may well be still I don't know.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sungazer » 14 Dec 2019, 8:05 pm

This exact topic has been done to death before. I would rate the Lithgow the top in the fit finish and accuracy department. The Howa is not a Remington clone completely different for one it has a square and flat base to the action the Remington 700 actions are round. The Howa's are not what I would call beautiful rifles the are very good value rifles they perform the task they were designed to do, they have great accuracy for the money. The Tikkas are probably twice as much and depending on the model you buy can be very nice looking guns they perform accurately as well but you paid more to get the same or perhaps a little less in the accuracy department. There seems to be more variance going by the feedback you read. I have only seen good ones.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bill » 14 Dec 2019, 8:07 pm

for the price of 1 Tikka I can get 2 Howa's and have twice the fun :lol: :lol: :sarcasm:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Dec 2019, 8:16 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Would you say that the Tikka's are of better/of more premium quality than the Howa's SCJ429?

In all honesty
Being new to firearms

Yes, the machining is better than what you get in a Howa, but it better be for the price. Howa make a brilliant rifle which costs them including materials and machine work, around $200. It costs me more than that to get my gunsmith to chamber and fit a barrel for me.

If you bought a Howa in 223 and it shoots better than MOA at 100 metres, you have a bargain for the $400 you spent. If you buy one in a bigger caliber like 308, you may be disappointed.. I have been working with a friends Howa and have tricked up the trigger, bedded it, recrowned it and done extensive load development. The best group to date was 0.680 and after 500 rounds through it, it is still the worst copper fouling barrel I have seen after Remington barrels.

By contrast another friend bought a Tikka Varmint in 308, it doesn't copper foul and has shot 1/2 MOA using cheap bullets from Speer and Hornady and shoots 168 ELDM in the low 0.3s. The Tikka is factory standard using the Tupperware stock and the only modification is a $20 trigger spring from Yo Dave.

My stock Tikka 223 Varmint shot a 0.950 group at 300 in competition, I have not seen anyone with a Howa do this. It is not because of my ability, I am not Australia's number one competition shooter, just a fox hunter who gets some practice in between hunts shooting long range competition.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PCHammond » 14 Dec 2019, 8:18 pm

In all honesty
Being new to firearms

Japan has had a long history with firearms, being right near China. They have used firearms in larger scales since the 1500s.

They made plenty of firearms pre 1945 and were involved in plenty of wars as we should all know.

Howa still make rifles for the Japanese Army today. Mitsubishi make jets and tanks and ships and stuff.

Japan also churns out alot of high quality scopes/optics.
PCHammond
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 14 Dec 2019, 8:23 pm

SCJ429 I had a Howa mini HB 223 and the first group my mate and current owner shot with Fiocchi factory ammo went sub 0.5 moa for 5 shots, for someone who's never owned a Howa you seem a little full of opinion.

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles