Remington 7600

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Remington 7600

Post by Shootermick » 14 Dec 2019, 4:15 pm

I’ve shot a mates 7600 in 308 and am thinking about buying myself one for Christmas. Just wondering what people’s thought are on the three different barrel lengths, being 16.5”, 18.5”, and 22”. His was 18.5”. I’m not expecting a highly accurate sub moa type rifle, more so just a bit of fun and an easy gun to throw in the ute when I’m out on the farm. I’ve got a spare Vortex red dot that I’d mount on it too. I wouldn’t mind one in 243, but I think they only come in the 22”, but I’m not really that keen on the longer barrel.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Remington 7600

Post by sungazer » 14 Dec 2019, 6:06 pm

My take on the 7600/7615 is that as you say its not a gun that you should expect to be highly accurate. It is a gun that is good at rapid fire. for rapid fire you want a low recoil to stay on target. So the 243 would be a better choice IMHO over the 308. Unless you want a close in pig gun perhaps. The only downside of the 243 is the cost of the brass and the relatively less available brass. I think the gun really lends itself to the 223 cartridge with the highly available magazines and ammo a low recoil it would be better if the barrel had a tighter twist to throw slightly heavier 223 loads short distance.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Farmerpete » 14 Dec 2019, 6:14 pm

Got one in 243 it does the job... not as good as the sks my dad had but good enough to hunt with out to 300 and still fast enough to use for close encounters
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2019, 6:37 pm

you have already said what you want Shootermick
l like the idea of a fast point and shoot centerfire that puts game down quickly
a rem 7600 308 with 18.5" barrel :thumbsup:
be nice for xmas :drinks:
and if you are worried about barrel jump get it magnaported
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 14 Dec 2019, 6:40 pm

You blokes have both hit the nail on the head. 243 is my preferred caliber in this type of rifle, but I’d like the handiness of a shorter barrel. But I don’t really need or want a 308, recoil is part of the reason too. That is my dilemma!
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 14 Dec 2019, 6:46 pm

As Marksman said it is what you want. Not us we can only give our opinion based on what we want and the reasons why. Often more confusing the issue rather than helping you getting what you want. You have shot one so you have a pretty good idea of how it handles. A 308 ticks a lot of boxes as far as calibre goes. There are always going to be better ones for specific tasks but the 308 is good across a big range a jack of all trades.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by 8x57 » 14 Dec 2019, 9:15 pm

I’ve got a 7600 police it’s a great rifle nice and short fairly accurate and great for the follow up shot. The recoil is not to bad, It’s worth putting up with for the variety of ammunition available. Short answer get one.
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 15 Dec 2019, 8:08 pm

I got a message back from Raytrade today saying that they no longer make the 243. So 308 it is. I like the look of the green/black with the 18.5” barrel, so if I can find one in stock somewhere my decision is made. Merry Xmas to me!
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 15 Dec 2019, 9:38 pm

Ive got one with the 161/2" barrel in 308.
Its a great gun for 100m or so, but thats it - scrub gun really
You get used to the recoil, so that doesnt bother me
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wapiti » 16 Dec 2019, 7:52 am

I've got a 7600 Police with the 16" barrel, and a 22" one, both in 308.

Over a chrony, the longer barrel one shoots around 2800 fps with 150 grain projectiles, and over 3000 with 125gn ballistic tips. It shoots down to inch 5-shot groups, don't let anyone tell you they are any less accurate than a bolt gun with a sporter weight barrel. Remember they are front locking, with a fully floating barrel.
I use 2208 and 125 ballistic tips as an all round load, and when out feeding the cattle, use it off a rest in the truck on crows stealing the stock nuts that think they are out of range. But they ain't.

The short barrel one has a wicked blast, though, and shoots up to 2600 fps with 150gn bullets, and is capable of 8mm groups with 2206H powder. Must be the short stiff barrel. Compared to a 30-30 I have, that shoots just over 2000 fps, its faster to reload, way further range because of projectile choice and I used to use my lever in the lignum creeks, but it's retired. The pump eats it, absolutely no argument.

Like most factory guns, triggers aren't perfect. But a new spring made the pull 2 1/2 pounds in each.

They are not just a scrub gun to me. They are in a niche of their own and for the farm, a true all rounder especially in 308 as with different losds, they can do most things. As with everything, depends on the shooter and familiarity with your gear. I always chuckle when people say they aren't on par with a bolt gun. Not my experience at all.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 16 Dec 2019, 5:26 pm

I wouldn't worry about muzzle jump.
I owned one in 30-06 and it was a simple matter of using the recoil ( such as it was ) to help work the pump. End result one day was getting 2 shots off at a running fox before my mate could close the bolt on his rifle....now that's not shabby at all imo
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Faedy » 19 Dec 2019, 9:04 pm

Hey Wapiti - would you mind sharing your loads for the .308?
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Shootermick » 20 Dec 2019, 5:31 pm

So I put down a deposit and did the permit today for the Green/Black 18.5” barrel 308. Won’t see it until early January, but that’s fine with me as I’ll be busy til then anyway. Happy days.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 21 Dec 2019, 12:55 am

^^nice job.
Get the trigger worked over and you will love it
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wapiti » 21 Dec 2019, 7:15 pm

Faedy wrote:Hey Wapiti - would you mind sharing your loads for the .308?

Hi Faedy

These loads are safe in my guns, and you should compare them to loads in manuals and start lower. Some are over the max in manuals I have, such as older ADI info. I use Nick Harveys manuals mostly. Also these are working loads for the farm and work hot or cold, without pressure signs. They are for 308 Winchester.

My everyday load in both my 7600 22" barreled rifle, and a Rem 700 heavy barrel ute rifle, is:
48 - 50 gns of AR2208 with a 125gn Nosler Ballistic Tip. It is a compressed load usually, depending on case brand.
I use 50gns of 2208 in Winchester cases as they are very thin and have the most capacity. Shoots just over 3000fps, about 3050 in the 7600, and 3000 in the 20" barrel of the Ute gun.
Try 50gns in Rem, ADI, or AFF ex mil brass and you will not get it in even with a long drop tube and tapping like an epileptic.
For those I use 48gns and it shoots to the same POI.
I shoot all the things I encounter here with this load. Pigs, roos, dogs, fallow deer. Works like lightning on goats but I don't shoot them anymore as they are worth too much money everywhere nowadays. Big boars, I know it's a bit light so I shoot them in the head. It will shoot MOA easy.
For straight out pig hunting, if I'm lucky enough to get an invitation or go to a mates cropping place, I use a 150 or 155gn proj with 45gns of AR2208. A Win Ballistic Silvertip, or a 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip. Gives more margin for error.

Another great load I use is a 155gn Hornady AMax with 45.5 of AR2206H. Yes it's a match bullet, but I use it over pumpkins or watermelon fields at night for raiding pigs. It will go through a big boars shoulder shield out across a paddock at night, mash the organs about the size of an ice cream bucket and usually not exit. Mostly hits or goes through the offside shield too. Drops them like a school bag.
Because it's so accurate, its a winner and 500 packs are cheap at a north-of-brissy big gun shop. I get them posted out.
Same as the newer 135gn Sierra Gameking hollow point (same one as used in the OSA Australian Outback factory ammo).
They sell 500 count boxes cheap and with 48gns of 2208 it's a smasher. They do about the same damage as the 125 Ballistic Tips. Super accurate, as Sierras always are.

Also, same for the 168 AMax and 44gns AR2206H. I use this in a weird DTA SRS when I'm feeling silly, I'll go hunting with it, only off a bipod though. These AMaxes sail across the gullies and hit really hard, maybe with a little bit more penetration than the 155s.

In my 7600 Police with its silly 16" barrel, I've only ever used PPU 150gn factory ammo. Again, don't laugh, too many people think cheap price means crap, but I bought a 500 box for $17.80/20 and this bullet smashes everything that's close enough to hit. And virtually for the price of empty cases. I think the last 500 I bought was $19/20. Can't lose. So I don't worry about the empties.
I have a few 40mm steel plates hanging off pipe frames on different tracks, what I do to check zero is shoot from the ute door rest, if the silver hits are on top of one another, its on. The PPU ammo shot a 5 shot 30mm group from this gun when I checked it, 16" barrel and all ammo pumped from the mag.

Something to watch if using Lucky 13 10 shot mags, they can baulk with the short, flat tip 135 Sierra hollow points, sort of get angry coming out of the lips and up the chamber ramp. If you drive it like you stole it, no dramas.
Good, pointed Spitzer bullets chamber smoothly, the factory mag is brilliant and feeds the 135 Sierras nice, the KKK steel 10 shotter also can get angry with these short projies. No drama at all, with pointed spitzers.

Hope you get something out of this. But all guns can behave differently.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 21 Dec 2019, 8:34 pm

^^^ awesome share mate.
I will take my time and work through it
Ive got a safe full of the ppu ammo as well - couldnt refuse it at the cheap price
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles