new 300 win mag for $500

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

new 300 win mag for $500

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 20 Dec 2019, 3:06 pm

Hi All
Now I have the bell and carlson on the Howa 308, The (improved) hogue stock is just begging to be reused. I can get a new barrelled action 300 WM for $500 so I'm thinking I'll drop the hammer and get it. The hogue was bedded for the 308 but I'll redo it. Plus it has the buttstock filled with silicon and the fore end epoxied so it should be passable for hunting.

Any ideas for a decent scope? I'm thinking a Vortex Viper 6 - 18 x 50 (?) might be the go.

Ive read some reports about questionable accuracy from Howas in 300WM - anyone have one? Says its a varmint barrell but just looks a tad over sporter profile to me in the pics. Threaded for muzzle brake too.

Cheers
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: new 300 win mag for $500

Post by flutch » 20 Dec 2019, 3:18 pm

I have a vector forester 15x on my 300 for hunting. has had a few hundred rounds with it on and its been fine. 200 bucks for that one lol.

I wouldnt worry about having anything revolutionary on it if its for walking. the reduction in accuracy purely from shooting in the upright position and off the shoulder will be more than any error the stock or scope ought to bring.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Dec 2019, 3:28 pm

I cant help with 300wm accuracy feedback, nor vortex scopes...

But ill ssy this (& no doubt upset a good few precious types).

Re these supposed inaccuracy 300wm howa claims...id hazzard a guess that firstly, at that price point, it attracts a LOT of buyers.

Also, from what ive seen...there are a LOT of "cool hip dudes" that get into shooting & before they can even shoot a bunny in the head at 100m, they've gone & got themselves a cheap 300wm to get in eith the modern cool crowd...
They buy a brand name bipod, shoot,n mat & backpack & know everything...
So much so that they think the flinch they have that causes them to do a massey furgeson tractor clutch dump pull on the trigger os normal...

What im saying, is atleast a portion of those accuracy reviews are likely from relatively new shooters who haven't really learnt how to shoot...im no expert, but believe me, ive seen a good few of em... :lol:

If howa's shoot in other chamberings, i fail to see why all the magnums would have a higher percentage of duds...

Dont be one of those guys ATG&NI... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flutch » 20 Dec 2019, 3:33 pm

Stix wrote:massey furgeson tractor clutch dump pull on the trigger

I have tears, you bastard I can't breathe and my sides are hurting.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Cooper » 20 Dec 2019, 4:32 pm

300 Win mag is long action so you cannot use your existing stock. Depends what you want? I've some people have had not so great accuracy with the Howa 300 Win Mag. Could be a few things going on. Factory stock? Recoil sensitive shooters?
For me I don't feel the need to shoot heavier than a 178gr projectile and would consider the 300 Win mag just burning more powder than I need use.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Dec 2019, 4:36 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:Hi All
Now I have the bell and carlson on the Howa 308, The (improved) hogue stock is just begging to be reused. I can get a new barrelled action 300 WM for $500 so I'm thinking I'll drop the hammer and get it. The hogue was bedded for the 308 but I'll redo it. Plus it has the buttstock filled with silicon and the fore end epoxied so it should be passable for hunting.

Any ideas for a decent scope? I'm thinking a Vortex Viper 6 - 18 x 50 (?) might be the go.

Ive read some reports about questionable accuracy from Howas in 300WM - anyone have one? Says its a varmint barrell but just looks a tad over sporter profile to me in the pics. Threaded for muzzle brake too.

Cheers

As Cooper has just pointed out, the .308 stock will be very different to a .300WM stock, action screws won't align, and the whole action will be longer, and possibly larger diameter. The magazine will also be longer. You could certainly make it fit, but I think you'd get a better result if you start with a stock that fits the action, or start with a blank and make it fit the action. Or go with a .300WSM or WSSM chambering.

What is the purpose of the rifle, hunting or competition? If hunting I doubt accuracy will be an issue.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 20 Dec 2019, 4:44 pm

:oops: To tell the truth I am a bit concerned about the recoil
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by flutch » 20 Dec 2019, 4:44 pm

dunno i see a wsm as sort of a bad tempered 30-06 more than a magnum. its reduced powder capacity over the regular winmag means it suffers a bit with the heavier pills, and lets face it, if youre using a magnum youre either throwing heavy pills or wanting to throw light ones at blistering speeds. the latter of which the wsm could do, but as mentioned so can a regular 308
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Dec 2019, 5:01 pm

flutch wrote:dunno i see a wsm as sort of a bad tempered 30-06 more than a magnum. its reduced powder capacity over the regular winmag means it suffers a bit with the heavier pills, and lets face it, if youre using a magnum youre either throwing heavy pills or wanting to throw light ones at blistering speeds. the latter of which the wsm could do, but as mentioned so can a regular 308

I would agree, but is there a .30-cal cartridge that can make more out of a short-action?
The short-action is a big restriction on bullet length.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Dec 2019, 5:26 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote::oops: To tell the truth I am a bit concerned about the recoil

If you are recoil sensitive, then don't get a magnum. If you aren't but don't like it jumping off the ground when you shoot off a bipod, then you can fit a brake.

Have you considered a 300 RUM? Very underrated chambering. Howa don't make one unfortunately but you could put a reamer up your Win Mag barrel.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 20 Dec 2019, 6:10 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
If you are recoil sensitive, then don't get a magnum. If you aren't but don't like it jumping off the ground when you shoot off a bipod, then you can fit a brake.

Have you considered a 300 RUM? Very underrated chambering. Howa don't make one unfortunately but you could put a reamer up your Win Mag barrel.

My Cousin has a 300 RUM, and its exponentially worse to fire than my 300win... not just that but it eats an extra 40 grains of powder..... throat erosion etc... but it is very exciting none the less.

I think the 300win will be fine for him, Im throwing 185gn projies out of it at 3000fps and the recoil is definitely there but it doesnt make you flail all over the place uncontrollably.

otherwise he should look at getting a 7mm saum or something hehe
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 20 Dec 2019, 6:29 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:Hi All

Cheers

have been thinking the same myself, and putting it in a bell and carlson stock or maybe the factory timber stocks they sell for $240
l haven't heard of any bad reports of bad accuracy from the 300wm howa rifle
Tassie bought one earlier in the year :drinks:
l have recently seen a new howa 308 barrel that had very bad circumferential ring marks from the barrel being made, the rifle was taken back and after a bit of fuss exchanged for another, l dont know if that was one that slipped through QC or not but it cannot be fixed, it is a flawed barrel
the dealer tried all sorts of things to get the buyer to accept the rifle as was but it wasn't going to happen,
the dealer will pass it on to someone who doesn't know any better, it should go back to howa
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Dec 2019, 6:47 pm

flutch wrote:[quote="SCJ429"

My Cousin has a 300 RUM, and its exponentially worse to fire than my 300win... not just that but it eats an extra 40 grains of powder..... throat erosion etc... but it is very exciting none the less.

I think the 300win will be fine for him, Im throwing 185gn projies out of it at 3000fps and the recoil is definitely there but it doesnt make you flail all over the place uncontrollably.

otherwise he should look at getting a 7mm saum or something hehe

The RUM is a hairy chested race car for those who appreciate speed and horsepower. Lesser mortals should settle for more pedestrian Magnums. :allegedly:
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Dec 2019, 6:58 pm

marksman wrote:
have been thinking the same myself and putting it in a bell and carlson stock or maybe the factory timber stocks they sell for $240
l haven't heard of any bad reports of bad accuracy from the 300wm howa rifle
Tassie bought one earlier in the year :drinks:
l have recently seen a new howa 308 barrel that had very bad circumferential ring marks from the barrel being made, the rifle was taken back and after a bit of fuss exchanged for another, l dont know if that was one that slipped through QC or not but it cannot be fixed, it is a flawed barrel
the dealer tried all sorts of things to get the buyer to accept the rifle as was but it wasn't going to happen,
the dealer will pass it on to someone who doesn't know any better, it should go back to howa

I thought tooling chatter marks came standard with every Howa barrel?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Dec 2019, 7:38 pm

It's Christmas Marksman, treat yourself.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=159333
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Faedy » 20 Dec 2019, 8:01 pm

Ive got a howa 300 winmag with a muzzle break on it - it is so mild recoil wise now
i can shoot it more accurate than my Sauer 202 .223.
If you can handle the recoil of a shotgun, you can handle the recoil of a 300 winmag.- although I am in the high end of 90kgs lol.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 21 Dec 2019, 2:48 am

Faedy wrote:Ive got a howa 300 winmag with a muzzle break on it.

Surely, please, it is a "muzzle brake"
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 21 Dec 2019, 10:28 am

hey allthegearandnoidea it might be worth waiting a couple of months, Howa are bring out 24inch standard barrel 300 PRC and some 24inch HB which have a bunch of advantages over the old 300 Winny and also the WSM.

Designed with the ability to comfortably seat longer you can take advantage of the Hornady 212-grain ELD-X (BC .673) and 225-grain ELD Match.777 . :thumbsup:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial ... est/330587
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 21 Dec 2019, 12:22 pm

SCJ429 wrote:It's Christmas Marksman, treat yourself.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=159333

that's a good setup SCJ429 but honestly if l were to spend that much it would be on a converted mauser 98 :drinks:
going the howa way is because it is a good cheap setup :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 22 Dec 2019, 3:12 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote::oops: To tell the truth I am a bit concerned about the recoil

What do they say about the 300 win mag......kills at both ends.....

Lots of folk get sucked in buying a lightweight 300 win mag only to find out it kicks the snot out of them when they go to the range and proceed to shoot 50 rounds + in a session...........

My opinion on the 300 WM/ 300WSM etc..... get a rifle with weight behind it .......if you want a lightweight mountain rifle in the 30 magnums then once the rifle is dialled in just shoot it when out hunting ........dont use it as a plinker!!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Dec 2019, 7:51 pm

I just got back from a plinking session with my 378 Weatherby and had a great time. It does have a heavy barrel and a brake.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Dec 2019, 9:32 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
I thought tooling chatter marks came standard with every Howa barrel?

It certainly was with the 2 Sakos my mate bought a few years back :lol:

Both were that bad you couldn't get a patch down em without massive effort. Both were replaced under warranty so all good.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Dec 2019, 10:29 pm

You couldn't get the patch down the barrel because of chatter marks?

Did you ever think that the patch was too big for the bore size?

I have never heard of someone having as many problems with European rifles as you.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Dec 2019, 10:59 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You couldn't get the patch down the barrel because of chatter marks?

Did you ever think that the patch was too big for the bore size?

I have never heard of someone having as many problems with European rifles as you.

They were pre cut patches for the cals - both were sako 85's bought about a mth apart. My mate bore scoped them and both were fooked! :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2019, 8:21 am

Why would you keep buying Tikka and Sako rifles if you have had such a bad run with them? You have currently got a Tikka or Sako that you keep saying that you are going to sell. Why not stick to the $400 Howas that you have had such success with?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2019, 8:43 am

SCJ429 wrote:Why would you keep buying Tikka and Sako rifles if you have had such a bad run with them? You have currently got a Tikka or Sako that you keep saying that you are going to sell. Why not stick to the $400 Howas that you have had such success with?

Read my post again, the Sakos weren't mine they were a friends (he loves sakos owns heaps of them) these 2 were duds from the factory it happens, I own a Tikka (bought new) its a nice rifle but doesn't shoot for s**t compared to my Howas out of the box and when you think that the Tikka was 3 times the price and can't match the Howas that were a 1/3 the price it's a bit disappointing really, you expect when you pay that sort of $$ for a rifle it would be better out of the box compared to the cheaper stuff, sadly this one hasn't lived up to the hype and won't be buying anymore anytime soon. :drinks:

I sold the Sako (got sick of the piece of crap) and if I can't get the Tikka to shoot better it too will go the same way, I don't care what brand rifles I own but they all must have some half decent ability to put a reasonable group together (1" or better) is the standard I work by for me to want to keep them, I've already got 2 shotguns don't need to own a rifle version. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 08 Jan 2020, 4:25 pm

Sad news... PTA came through and went to shop and theyd sold the last one!!
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles