new 300 win mag for $500

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: new 300 win mag for $500

Post by marksman » 21 Dec 2019, 12:22 pm

SCJ429 wrote:It's Christmas Marksman, treat yourself.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=159333

that's a good setup SCJ429 but honestly if l were to spend that much it would be on a converted mauser 98 :drinks:
going the howa way is because it is a good cheap setup :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 22 Dec 2019, 3:12 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote::oops: To tell the truth I am a bit concerned about the recoil

What do they say about the 300 win mag......kills at both ends.....

Lots of folk get sucked in buying a lightweight 300 win mag only to find out it kicks the snot out of them when they go to the range and proceed to shoot 50 rounds + in a session...........

My opinion on the 300 WM/ 300WSM etc..... get a rifle with weight behind it .......if you want a lightweight mountain rifle in the 30 magnums then once the rifle is dialled in just shoot it when out hunting ........dont use it as a plinker!!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Dec 2019, 7:51 pm

I just got back from a plinking session with my 378 Weatherby and had a great time. It does have a heavy barrel and a brake.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Dec 2019, 9:32 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
I thought tooling chatter marks came standard with every Howa barrel?

It certainly was with the 2 Sakos my mate bought a few years back :lol:

Both were that bad you couldn't get a patch down em without massive effort. Both were replaced under warranty so all good.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Dec 2019, 10:29 pm

You couldn't get the patch down the barrel because of chatter marks?

Did you ever think that the patch was too big for the bore size?

I have never heard of someone having as many problems with European rifles as you.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Dec 2019, 10:59 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You couldn't get the patch down the barrel because of chatter marks?

Did you ever think that the patch was too big for the bore size?

I have never heard of someone having as many problems with European rifles as you.

They were pre cut patches for the cals - both were sako 85's bought about a mth apart. My mate bore scoped them and both were fooked! :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2019, 8:21 am

Why would you keep buying Tikka and Sako rifles if you have had such a bad run with them? You have currently got a Tikka or Sako that you keep saying that you are going to sell. Why not stick to the $400 Howas that you have had such success with?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Dec 2019, 8:43 am

SCJ429 wrote:Why would you keep buying Tikka and Sako rifles if you have had such a bad run with them? You have currently got a Tikka or Sako that you keep saying that you are going to sell. Why not stick to the $400 Howas that you have had such success with?

Read my post again, the Sakos weren't mine they were a friends (he loves sakos owns heaps of them) these 2 were duds from the factory it happens, I own a Tikka (bought new) its a nice rifle but doesn't shoot for s**t compared to my Howas out of the box and when you think that the Tikka was 3 times the price and can't match the Howas that were a 1/3 the price it's a bit disappointing really, you expect when you pay that sort of $$ for a rifle it would be better out of the box compared to the cheaper stuff, sadly this one hasn't lived up to the hype and won't be buying anymore anytime soon. :drinks:

I sold the Sako (got sick of the piece of crap) and if I can't get the Tikka to shoot better it too will go the same way, I don't care what brand rifles I own but they all must have some half decent ability to put a reasonable group together (1" or better) is the standard I work by for me to want to keep them, I've already got 2 shotguns don't need to own a rifle version. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 08 Jan 2020, 4:25 pm

Sad news... PTA came through and went to shop and theyd sold the last one!!
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles