Boer Plezier Mauser

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Boer Plezier Mauser

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Dec 2019, 7:30 am

This is a "Plezier", translates as "Pleasure" Mauser in 7x57 as used by wealthier Boers during the war with Britain. They were basically a higher quality hunting rifle than what was normally used on the farm and saved the army from having to issue them an 1895. many of these were captured by British (and Aussie & Kiwi, of course) soldiers and bought back as trophies. The classic Plezier is often found with front sight wings and a hexagonal barrel, this one has a round barrel but includes a set trigger. The bore is still good, and shoots straight. It is matching numbers, but suffers from some external pitting from poor storage over the last 115 years in some shed somewhere, but is nevertheless still a desirable collectors piece which can still be used as a top class stalking rifle, Cheers.
Attachments
Plezier 011.JPG
Plezier 011.JPG (394.84 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Plezier 010.JPG
Plezier 010.JPG (425.33 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Plezier 009.JPG
Plezier 009.JPG (360.18 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Plezier 008.JPG
Plezier 008.JPG (301.44 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Plezier 007.JPG
Plezier 007.JPG (490.7 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Plezier 006.JPG
Plezier 006.JPG (488.57 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Plezier 005.JPG
Plezier 005.JPG (336.8 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Plezier 004.JPG
Plezier 004.JPG (373.91 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Plezier 003.JPG
Plezier 003.JPG (433.16 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Plezier 002.JPG
Plezier 002.JPG (667.64 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Boer Plezier Mauser

Post by Stix » 21 Dec 2019, 8:29 am

Thats nice...!!

Good of you to post the general history of that type of rifle, & how its of relevsnce to us (Aussies) No1... :thumbsup:

I assume this is your rifle... :unknown:

Some of tha pitting is deep, but id guess thats not only to do with its age & storage over time, but also from how the steel was made ..?
Anyway, looks like you've done a good job of stopping it... :thumbsup:

Id like to see a thread with little summaries of the hostorical firearms like that...
It would make for a good bookmark to go to when wanting to "switch off" from everything...
And I'd bet you could fill a good few pages...!!!.. :) :thumbsup:

If it is yours, do you know the history of that individual No1...?...like when it csme to our shores, who owned it etc etc...

Anywsy, I really enjoyed that little read No1...
Thanks... :clap:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2019, 9:10 am

what a beautiful old mauser. damn shame it wasn't looked after better . bet it still shoots real well . those early oberndorf mausers are incredibly well made and slick . i have a sporterized 1903 turk that is as slick in the action as a sako i owned . and bloody accurate too . would you be able to post a pic of the rear of the action where it;s inletted into the stock please ? with the bolt out ? i bought a second hand sporterised stock that i'm trying to identify and it's a bit of a mystery . it's got the oberndorf stamp under the but plate , was small ring , pistol gripped , and wasn't drilled for a cleaning rod . i suspect it may be from one of these earlier mausers and the rear action tang flares out rather than straight like 98 mausers

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Dec 2019, 11:41 am

It's a stylish piece mate, even after all these years :thumbsup: Surprises me that it shoots well with the barrel-ring in the forend but what do I know? Nothing!
Good luck to you No1 :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Dec 2019, 12:18 pm

very very nice
l wish it were mine :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Dec 2019, 3:16 am

For bigrich,
Attachments
Breech 002.JPG
Breech 002.JPG (450.74 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Dec 2019, 11:08 am

Thanks for the pic No1, the mystery of my stock still remains. You can see in the picture of mine where I’ve filled it with acraglass. It’s a beautiful piece of wood, probably some sort of cavalry carbine as it has no cleaning rod hole
Attachments
image.jpg
The rear of my Mauser stock was flared out for the original action. It’s a mystery
image.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 3450 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Dec 2019, 4:27 pm

G'day bigrich,
I have either owned or inspected most of the Mauser military carbines from 1871 to 1945 and haven't seen an action cut-out like that. I would say more likely custom sporting rifle, Possibly Mannlicher but probably Mauser 98. Unless you can see every iteration of commercial action like the Zastava, Santa Barbara (M82 Sniper) etc I feel your stock will remain a mystery. Nice looking wood seems to deny military use. These pics show an 1871 Mauser Carbine (Mannlicher action), 1895 Steyr and a modern Purdey on a large ring 98 which has similarities The Purdey is not mine, sadly, and I don't have access to it anymore.
Attachments
PURDEY 98e.jpg
PURDEY 98e.jpg (121.21 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Mannlicher breech 002.JPG
Mannlicher breech 002.JPG (406.58 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Mannlicher breech 001.JPG
Mannlicher breech 001.JPG (432.22 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Dec 2019, 6:28 pm

I’m pretty sure she’s a military stock No1 , had a steel butt plate , under the butt plate it had the same “daisy” stamp that’s on the receiver of my oberndorf ‘03 Mauser. The rear sling mount base of a Turk screwed straight in .It was already cut up and sported before I got it , I shaped it a bit more, fitted the recoil pad ,cleaned and tru-oiled it . Length of pull is a little short ( another reason I think it’s a cavalry stock ), but for $50 I like it :thumbsup:
Attachments
image.jpg
This old stock has some really nice grain
image.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 3420 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 22 Dec 2019, 6:39 pm

i reckon that shot of the manlicher 002 pic looks like the inletting on my mauser stock .the mystery deepens :huh: mauser made so many variations , even before ww1 . thanks for the info No1, i didn't mean to hijack your topic , i just thought while knowledgable people were looking at your post someone might be able to solve my mystery . old mausers are wonderful, interesting pieces of history. and their really accurate and kill sh!t real good too :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oberndorf98 » 05 Apr 2021, 1:30 pm

This rifle is not a Boer Plezier rifle. Those rifles were made by DWM Berlin, had a 28 inch full octagonal barrel and used modified 1895 military actions.
Your rifle is made by Mauser Oberndorf on a small ring 1898 model transitional action which was the precursor for the 1898 model large ring action.
Oberndorf98
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Apr 2021, 1:25 pm

G'day Oberndorf98,
You are almost, but not quite, right. The classic Plezier as I noted in my initial post had an octagonal (I wrote hex, a simple "typo" on my part) barrel and fore-sight ears. But "Plezier" is a description not a type and Plezier could be found with 95 actions by DWM, and 98 actions by Mauser in octagonal barrel as well as shorter round barrels (see africaxmag for more) and even some earlier split-bridge actions, so the term describes any more expensive custom ordered hunting rifle permitted by the local Magistrate. The rifle posted has been confirmed as being in Orange Free State in 1900, captured from a Boer by a member of the Victorian Mounted Rifles and returned here. I believe the current owner has been able to find out who Mauser shipped it to and is currently trying to find more, he has several Boer rifles and is well versed in the subject having one of his rifles featured in "Carvings From the Veldt", Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles