Lever Action synthetic stock / chassis

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lever Action synthetic stock / chassis

Post by mattsten83 » 24 Dec 2019, 2:26 pm

Hi Guys and Girls,
Thinking of buying a Browning BLR 308 and i was wondering if there are any company's out there that make synthetic stocks or chassis systems for them?
Iv had a bit of a search on the net but couldn't find anything. :unknown:

Thanks
Matt
mattsten83
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Lever Action synthetic stock / chassis

Post by Monty » 24 Dec 2019, 3:59 pm

Moved to the correct forum.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 24 Dec 2019, 7:35 pm

Lever actions are generally a two piece stock with a tightly fitted forend and barrel band capture. For this reason they will never be as accurate as their bolt-action counterpart. Therefore there is no market for “precision” upgrades for lever actions, hence why you can’t find anything. Lever action rifles are not designed to be shot from a supported position. Don’t try and hammer a round peg into a square hole - my advice, buy a bolt action and sink your pennies into accurizing something with a lot more room to grow. Get one with a 10-shot mag if you want field utility.
Last edited by in2anity on 24 Dec 2019, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by CAVEMAN » 24 Dec 2019, 9:37 pm

There is this "interesting" product from Mossberg. I wouldn't get hung up on making a gun something its not, i'm guessing with the release of the bigger mags for the BLR they may be the next 7615.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/464-spx-centerfire-lever-action-rifle-41026/
Attachments
Abboniation.png
Abboniation.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 11867 times
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mattsten83 » 27 Dec 2019, 4:47 am

Thanks for the advice in2anity. I am looking at the Browning BLR pistol grip 308 with a red dot and 9 shot mags. My reasons for this is I have been using a bolt action and can normally only get 3-4 shots off on a mob of pigs. I am after something that I can cycle faster to get more shots off and I am only looking at hitting a target around 100m out to 200m max. the gun would be in my ute and the stock cops a lot of bumps etc.
If I cant find anything I will probably go and get my Cat D licence and get a semi auto. This just means time, money and paperwork.
mattsten83
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 27 Dec 2019, 6:32 am

Caveman
I think somebody got the title of the picture wrong - they may have been thinking abomination.
Although it's possible they may have been trying to compound two words, boner and abomination, and thus came up with the word Abboniation.
What could be more disconcerting than the thought that somebody would get a "boner" over that abomination?
Says a lot about the times we live in.

mattsten83
I know somebody will say it so it might as well be me.
Have you considered a 303?
Quick to shoot, relatively inexpensive, 11 rounds if one up the spout, accuracy optional, pre 'knocked about' so no concerns with your intended use.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 27 Dec 2019, 6:35 am

Yes the BLRs are expensive. Perhaps you could consider a second hand one? (then you wouldn’t be so precious about dinging it up) There’s a 30-06 on used guns for $695 - slap the lucky 13 in that and you’d be out of jail for under a grand...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 27 Dec 2019, 9:33 am

straightshooter wrote:Have you considered a 303?
Quick to shoot, relatively inexpensive, 11 rounds if one up the spout, accuracy optional, pre 'knocked about' so no concerns with your intended use.

That was also the exact thought that popped into my head - google “mad minute” to see how fast one can spit them out from the smooth cock-on-close Lee Enfield action. Plus the 303 round is great at breaking down thicker skinned game... and “sportorized” abominations can often be picked up for a steal on used guns
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mattsten83 » 31 Dec 2019, 1:07 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Defiantly has given me a few more things to think about.
mattsten83
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Dec 2019, 1:44 pm

I bought a new blr when I had to hand in my mini14. It had a beautifully finished walnut stock but I knew it was always going to b a hunting rifle and apart from the usual bumps and scratches I used to ride my bike and walk thru lots of prickly lime bush I accepted the fact and did not want to be saddened by the degradation of its appearance so I never bothered to keep it out of harms way right from the first foot I set in the paddock . I could not crawl run or function effectively in the field if I was going to be giving the woodwork a percentage of my hunting thoughts so I just hunted with a tool instead .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 31 Dec 2019, 2:32 pm

If you do buy Browning BLR 308 order a spare stock and forend at the same time so if in the future you are selling make it all new.
Just a thought , if they say they cant get them look at this site.
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/brownin ... parts.html
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jan 2020, 3:38 am

I moved on from my blr partially because the trigger was terrible. Bought a sauer bolt gun I was recently in the same situation and needing to get faster shots off so I thought I would switch back to the lever with two detachable mags. But I forgot how bad the trigger was so I moved my main scope back to the sauer. Be mindful that the trigger on the blr is horrible and there’s very little a smith can do to improve it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 02 Jan 2020, 8:02 pm

Blr243 wrote:I moved on from my blr partially because the trigger was terrible. Bought a sauer bolt gun I was recently in the same situation and needing to get faster shots off so I thought I would switch back to the lever with two detachable mags. But I forgot how bad the trigger was so I moved my main scope back to the sauer. Be mindful that the trigger on the blr is horrible and there’s very little a smith can do to improve it

Hmmmmm………..

I will have to politely disagree here. A GOOD gunsmith can improve a BLR trigger. Not a fun job and many gunsmiths will not want to do it, or can't do it. But some can do a nice job of a BLR trigger. Not the same as a nice bolt action trigger of course, but relative to the short barrelled lever gun, it can be vastly improved. Trigger on my rifle is quite good.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 03 Jan 2020, 9:04 am

Here you go, floated 303 for $450:

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=165582

That’ll put the oinkers in the freezer.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles