What say you Tikka fans ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: What say you Tikka fans ?

Post by solarpak » 04 Jan 2020, 7:59 pm

Die Judicii wrote:So thanks to all you guys that had input/suggestions.
At this point it looks like I'm gonna settle on a T3X Hunter Stainless, fluted with timber stock.

Alas,,,,,, now begins the customary wait.
:D

Good choice - i have a T3 and T3x in the Hunter Stainless with the fluted barrel in 25-06 and 308. Fine rifles indeed.
One small alteration i made was to have the recoil lug and area around the rear action screw glass bedded on both rifles - just for peace of mind .
Apart from that they shoot where they should and do the job required.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Jan 2020, 8:54 pm

Great choice and 30.06? :clap: :clap: :clap:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jan 2020, 1:44 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Great choice and 30.06? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nah,,,, .223 this time.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Jan 2020, 8:45 pm

I got my PTA back (approved) today,, so next trip in to town will see me visiting the LGS
:D :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Feb 2020, 12:17 am

DJ will you find time to shoot these rifles of yours ? :lol: Have fun mate never have too many rifles I say. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by brinny » 01 Feb 2020, 12:21 am

After 50 years of shooting and hunting....i bought my first Tikka last year.....It is the M55 mdl and in 17 Rem cal fitted with a Geoff Slee thumbhole stock, and a new SS barrel fitted.....
Just never really gone down the Tikka path before....always been Sako and Remington mostly......
Looking forward to seeing how it shoots....Should take a bit of pressure off my Sako 204 hopefully...
Just have to work out now what Thermal to set it up with before winter..
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 01 Feb 2020, 5:00 am

Nice bit of kit mate.
What thermal are you considering mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by brinny » 01 Feb 2020, 9:58 am

JimTom wrote:Nice bit of kit mate.
What thermal are you considering mate?

Unsure yet JT....Im currently running a GSCI S675 thermal on my 204....Not so sure if i would go down that path again....While the scope is good, for the money it cost, the clarity is terrible....Wouldnt go down the Pulsar path again either due to the POI issues i had with the XQ50 trails.....Have been speaking to a bloke with an ATN, and hes having firmware issues with his, tells me it goes haywire every so often....not ideal... ....A mate has a Night Tech 42 on his 22-250...has limited success with it in close, but not good for distance shooting....Then theres the Chinese brands....?????.....Dont know....Lot more research to be done yet....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 01 Feb 2020, 12:12 pm

Hey Brinny... :)

That looks interesting...
Good to see you finally got a 17 after that debacle with the other Sako... :)

Did you have the barrel put on...?...& what barrel is it...?

Aside from that, how does it shoot...?
Im keen to see how this outfit comes along so keep us informed...the more foxes i tip over, the more i find myself pining for a 17....as someone who wants the fur, im starting to get sick of the mess, & peeling inch holes in skin around 4 inches of intestines... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 01 Feb 2020, 12:32 pm

Stix wrote:Hey Brinny... :)

That looks interesting...
Good to see you finally got a 17 after that debacle with the other Sako... :)

Did you have the barrel put on...?...& what barrel is it...?

Aside from that, how does it shoot...?
Im keen to see how this outfit comes along so keep us informed...the more foxes i tip over, the more i find myself pining for a 17....as someone who wants the fur, im starting to get sick of the mess, & peeling inch holes in skin around 4 inches of intestines... :lol:

Its a nice bit of gear Stix....Dont even want to remember about the Sako debarkle though....
Makes me wonder why i passed up Tikkas for all those years....still you go with what you know at the time i guess...
The barrel was on it when i bought it...and from what i have been told its a Maddco barrel...
I put an el cheapo scope on it and shot under an inch group at 100m with factory ammo to try it out....so its a shooter and i will work on a load it likes when i get serious about setting it up....
Always been a fan of the 17s ever since i had my first one, a 17 mach 4 way back in the late 70s early 80s when skins were worth a good dollar...
I dont shoot for skins now, just scalps so a well placed chest shot will certainly pull the critters up with the 17....
When i eventually get it out....it might have you drooling for one mate.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 01 Feb 2020, 12:33 pm

Unsure yet JT....Im currently running a GSCI S675 thermal on my 204....Not so sure if i would go down that path again....While the scope is good, for the money it cost, the clarity is terrible....Wouldnt go down the Pulsar path again either due to the POI issues i had with the XQ50 trails.....Have been speaking to a bloke with an ATN, and hes having firmware issues with his, tells me it goes haywire every so often....not ideal... ....A mate has a Night Tech 42 on his 22-250...has limited success with it in close, but not good for distance shooting....Then theres the Chinese brands....?????.....Dont know....Lot more research to be done yet....[/quote]

Mate I ditched the ATN after the supplier played his little trick on me and have ordered the Pulsar Thermion XP38. Look forward to using it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tilb004 » 01 Feb 2020, 4:36 pm

Mine is a tikka T3X light in 22-250 .
Very happy with it , easily sub moa with winchester silver tip 55gn.
Action is faultless , synthetic stock , staino barrel 1:14.
The only thing i dont like is the muzzle jump.
If you want to see what youve shot at no hope .
Will rebarrel with heavy varmint when this one is sot out .
Fabulous rifles
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brinny » 01 Feb 2020, 5:21 pm

JimTom wrote:Unsure yet JT....Im currently running a GSCI S675 thermal on my 204....Not so sure if i would go down that path again....While the scope is good, for the money it cost, the clarity is terrible....Wouldnt go down the Pulsar path again either due to the POI issues i had with the XQ50 trails.....Have been speaking to a bloke with an ATN, and hes having firmware issues with his, tells me it goes haywire every so often....not ideal... ....A mate has a Night Tech 42 on his 22-250...has limited success with it in close, but not good for distance shooting....Then theres the Chinese brands....?????.....Dont know....Lot more research to be done yet....

Mate I ditched the ATN after the supplier played his little trick on me and have ordered the Pulsar Thermion XP38. Look forward to using it.[/quote]

Dont know about the Thermions either JT....Im an Admin for a group called Australian Small Game Hunters on FB....and one of our members put a post up about his XQ50 Thermion not holding zero....According to him it shot fine one week...then shot 7 inches high the next...He sent it back and got a replacement straight away....Im very nervous about any Pulsar scope and wont be going back there until all of these bugs are ironed out.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 01 Feb 2020, 8:09 pm

Yep fair enough mate. All of the research I have done has exposed pros and cons for almost every brand mate. Roll the dice.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by brinny » 01 Feb 2020, 8:49 pm

JimTom wrote:Yep fair enough mate. All of the research I have done has exposed pros and cons for almost every brand mate. Roll the dice.

In fairness....This is the only issue i have heard of in the Thermions....And your right....there are pros and cons for all makes .....Just a lot of money to outlay for a dud....And after going through a few, and i have.......makes you pretty gunshy....Ill be very interested in hearing your report of what you think of your Thermion when you get it....All good news i hope....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 01 Feb 2020, 9:19 pm

I will let you know how it goes mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tank » 02 Feb 2020, 4:03 pm

Couldn’t recommend more highly.
Quite simply the most accurate rifles I’ve owned.
T3 Lite .223, T3 Super Varmint 6.5x55, T3XLite .308, T3X Lite 9.3x62.
Mags.....zero issues.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Feb 2020, 5:52 pm

NOT OFF TO A GOOD START.

Picked up the new T3x today, and also bought a Leupold Back Country Rail and 30 mm rings to mount the new scope.
I get home, and settle down to mount everything on it.

Didn't get very far,,,,, the mounting bolts supplied with the Leupold Rail were a totally different size and won't fit the Tikka.
I looked at the labeling,, and yep it says "Tikka T3 / T3x"

I ring the store and the guy says they "should fit".

I agree, and say they should fit,,,,, but they don't.
I said that I'd measured the OD of the threads with a digital vernier,,, and the supplied bolts measured 3.44 mm and the grub screws out
of the Tikka were 2.99 mm.

So he says bring it back and we'll check them and if necessary give me another rail.
:wtf: :wtf: ,,,,,, it's an hours drive there and another hour back.
I thought Leupold were supposed to be good and accurate.
So much for $80 worth of aluminium rail with bolts that don't fit the rifle that they say it does.
The label says "PRECISION MACHINED" :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2020, 6:04 pm

Mate I had something similar that happened when I was mounting scope on my Tikka t3x from memory. Mate I took it back to the shop as the screws were tight and appeared oversized and I didn’t want to hand fist it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2020, 6:05 pm

It was a few years ago now and my memory is a bit clouded, however I think I took it to the shop and they fitted the same rings I had trouble with.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Feb 2020, 6:24 pm

I reckon with that difference in diameter,,,, if anyone managed to force em in,,,, you'd never be able to get em undone again
And that would be outright butchery and ignorance.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2020, 6:27 pm

Mate I think that may be what they did. I vaguely remember starting to fit the screws and they started but were right, that’s where I stopped. I think they said they do go in but are tight. Leupold rings too.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Feb 2020, 8:32 pm

Thanks for that JT,,,,
I will wait and see what the shop has to say, cos sure as eggs if I try to force fit em, they'll say I've damaged the goods and kiss goodbye to $$$

The difference in diameter is .45 of a millimeter.

The last time something like this happened I got screwed.
The item that I purchased and had delivered had a tiny difference that made it impossible to fit to my particular machine.
This difference was not visible whilst in the "fort knox" type packaging (hermetically sealed all round)

Being careful I sliced between the two layers with a stanley knife to be able to examine it properly.
When it was then evident that it wouldnt fit,,, I sealed the edges with 4 staples and it looked exactly like so many of those moulded plastic packs
that are commonly seen on store shelves.

When I sent it back, they refused to give me my cash back,,,, and said that they could not sell it because I had "DESTROYED" the packaging.

Once bitten twice shy for this little black duck.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Feb 2020, 8:41 pm

Yes mate I can certainly understand your hesitation. I was the same and figured I’d rather not cause any damage. Let us know what the solution is mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Feb 2020, 10:31 am

JimTom wrote:Yes mate I can certainly understand your hesitation. I was the same and figured I’d rather not cause any damage. Let us know what the solution is mate.

Well, I am sitting here and eating a huge bowl of HUMBLE PIE.
After discussing it further with the LGS and expressing my feeling about not wanting to be "forcing" things, I tried again this morning.
And yes,,, both you and the shop were absolutely correct.

They are very tight, but with added pressure they did screw in, and once 2/3 of the way in, it then got easier.
I was very aware of the fact that being such a small screw and fine thread,,,, and not wanting to force it,,, I simply did not apply quite enough pressure.

So,, onwards and upwards from here. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by flutch » 04 Feb 2020, 4:35 pm

Q: What say you Tikka fans?

A: Howa
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 04 Feb 2020, 5:16 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Well, I am sitting here and eating a huge bowl of HUMBLE PIE.
After discussing it further with the LGS and expressing my feeling about not wanting to be "forcing" things, I tried again this morning.
And yes,,, both you and the shop were absolutely correct.

They are very tight, but with added pressure they did screw in, and once 2/3 of the way in, it then got easier.
I was very aware of the fact that being such a small screw and fine thread,,,, and not wanting to force it,,, I simply did not apply quite enough pressure.

So,, onwards and upwards from here. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

Glad you got it sorted, like me, you now know better for next time. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Feb 2020, 5:17 pm

flutch wrote:Q: What say you Tikka fans?

A: Howa

Bwahahahaha nice one flutch :lol: :lol:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Feb 2020, 2:00 pm

Well here it is,,,,,,,, hopefully it'll be a tack driver.
100_5546.JPG
100_5546.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1859 times
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Feb 2020, 2:26 pm

Is there something between the attachment and the barrel or am I seeing funny and the barrel is allowed to whip independently?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles