What say you Tikka fans ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

What say you Tikka fans ?

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Dec 2019, 8:19 pm

For those that own a Tikka T3 Lite,,,,,,, how are they accuracy wise ?
Am thinking of buying one in .223
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: What say you Tikka fans ?

Post by pomemax » 25 Dec 2019, 11:01 pm

out of the box you wont be sorry
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Clem » 26 Dec 2019, 5:23 am

I could not recommend them enough.
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Dec 2019, 8:27 am

Unless you are struggling physically, would you consider a Varmint?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Dec 2019, 8:30 am

With a 1:12 twist barrel, this one will shoot 50 or 55s very well.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=165224
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 26 Dec 2019, 9:56 am

Mines like a loyal dog, always there and never fails to perform.1:12 it shoots 60gr tap very well. Tried close to 20 brands/styles in 50/55gr and to be honest only 1 was poor grouping. Most all were moa or close. Premium offerings were unnecessary cost so I only bother running cheap bulk like osa gamekings and now hornady tap. Both around 1/2 to 3/4moa 5shot groups. the only problem I've had is if I cycle reeeealy lazy you can throw the old shell and close the bolt without having come back far enough to pick up the new case. Not the guns fault but a by product of one action size suits all. I get caught out maybe once every 100.
I don't think you will be disappointed.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Dec 2019, 11:30 am

Thanks fellas, sounds very promising.

SCJ429 , Not struggling Mate, in fact most of my rifles are Varmint/Heavy, but this time round I thought maybe try the other end of the scale.

SCOOT , Yeah Mate I have done similar a few times with one of mine, (not pulling back quite far enough for the next round)
Ya really kick yourself when you aim for the next victim, and hear "click" on an empty chamber. :thumbsdown: :problem: :oops:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been looking the last few days, and have come to the ?conclusion that they only come in synthetic.
Can anyone confirm this ??
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Dec 2019, 12:09 pm

My 243 Win Lite, out of the box, brilliant.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 26 Dec 2019, 12:25 pm

l dont own one but have tweaked a few that did turn out shooters
like any factory rifle with tweaking they can turn out very good
some tikka's are good straight from the box, a lot of that is your expectation though
what the tikkas have going for them is the hand lapped barrel
and they have turned into a better plumbers rifle than the remington :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Dec 2019, 7:10 pm

Any of you Tikka owners had any problems with the mags falling apart? been reading a few posts on AHN where owners had this problem but mags were replaced under warranty and the other prob I've heard before is the mag feed lips wearing out and some issues with the last round not feeding properly.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Clem » 26 Dec 2019, 9:41 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Any of you Tikka owners had any problems with the mags falling apart? been reading a few posts on AHN where owners had this problem but mags were replaced under warranty and the other prob I've heard before is the mag feed lips wearing out and some issues with the last round not feeding properly.

I have a Tikka in both .308 and .223 and have never had an issue with the mags.
Superb guns for the price in my humble opinion.

This is my 308 Hunter:

:mrgreen:
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2019, 7:14 am

This is my T3x 308 Hunter Fluted, what factory ammo or handloads does yours like shooting? I haven't had any mag issues either.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 27 Dec 2019, 8:29 am

marksman wrote:l dont own one but have tweaked a few that did turn out shooters
like any factory rifle with tweaking they can turn out very good
some tikka's are good straight from the box, a lot of that is your expectation though
what the tikkas have going for them is the hand lapped barrel
and they have turned into a better plumbers rifle than the remington :drinks:

Can i ask what tweaks Marksman...??...
And are they easy to bed...?
Would you like to tweak one of mine...?...it shoots like crap...im going to try some other brass when i get my hands on some, & if it doesnt shoot then ill offload it...it will be a shame though, as im sure its probably something simple, (like me... :lol: ...)or maybe i havnt hit the right bullet yet... :unknown:
:)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Clem » 27 Dec 2019, 8:37 am

bigfellascott wrote:This is my T3x 308 Hunter Fluted, what factory ammo or handloads does yours like shooting? I haven't had any mag issues either.

:thumbsup:

I use factory ammo in mine.
I have tried many different brands, usually 165g.
I generally stick to to the Tikka or Sako ammo. I have always had good results with them. Although Federal and Hornady rounds aren't bad either through my Hunter.

What do you generally use?
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Dec 2019, 8:44 am

I've only tried the Fed Premium stuff with the 130gn Speer, it didn't shoot real flash (people reckoned they shoot great in the Tikkas so figured I'd buy a box or 2 and give them a go, mine didn't like them, I've got dies and plenty of diff projectiles to try so hoping that will see it shooting a lot better than it does at the moment I've also got a couple of diff stocks to try on it to (wheelie bin stock and a Lam stock) I'm sure I can get it shooting better, just a matter of trial and error with it (hope so anyway). :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Dec 2019, 10:28 am

No problems with the standard 3 shot or the 6 round mags. Have a 10 round after market mag. but didn't like it- too long, so just use the 6 shot, that way gives the 7th feral a sporting chance. See if it makes cover before I can drop the 6 and clip in the 3 shot... :twisted:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Dec 2019, 11:55 am

Stix wrote:Can i ask what tweaks Marksman...??...
And are they easy to bed...?
Would you like to tweak one of mine...?...it shoots like crap...im going to try some other brass when i get my hands on some, & if it doesnt shoot then ill offload it...it will be a shame though, as im sure its probably something simple, (like me... :lol: ...)or maybe i havnt hit the right bullet yet... :unknown:
:)

Stix you are a capable bloke who can do this work yourself :drinks:

if you have the synthetic stock fill the forearm up with fibreglass bog, obviously to stiffen the forearm but leave the barrel floating
use a drill or soldering iron to scar the inside surfaces roughing it up to stop slip
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sep ... /3147.html

pretty sure you have boyds stocks so you can skip the above

bed and replace the recoil tab if you have the ali one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKQdGXGmcFc
if you have the ali tab l would bet my left nut that it has marks from recoil :thumbsup:
it is really important for the tab to be a tight fit into the stock

or you could glue the tab into the stock to stop flop at least,glue the recoil tab to the rifle with a single drop of super glue, then apply release agent etc like normal, then bed around the tab, once it all cures, you just pop the lug off the receiver since it is only held on with one drop of glue

adjust the trigger to the pull you want, light :lol:

this work has always made them more consistent with no weird little fliers or small POI changes once they're bedded
I've never made one shoot worse by bedding

as l already said Stix l believe you are very capable but if your not sure about it pm me :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Dec 2019, 1:14 pm

I agree with you there Marksman, if you are having an issue with a Tikka especially one in the Tupperware stock, it can be a loose recoil lug. There was a guy selling a Titanium lug that was slightly oversize which would be a snug fit or you can bed the existing lug.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 27 Dec 2019, 2:12 pm

Good info there...thanks very much...ill have a detailed look a little later...

However, i suspect there may be something else going on...the brass im using does seem to be all over the place--especially neck tension wise--even after annealing them, tension/force required in seating bullets is all over the joint...

Ive just started the arduous task of prepping 300 odd cases, :( ... hopefully i can get some consistant ones out of them & see if that makes a diference...
If not...its either tool time, or send back time...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 27 Dec 2019, 3:28 pm

l apologize for hijacking the thread but this could be information that can help everyone out :thumbsup:

Stix if you are worried about your cases being the cause of inconsistency take the inconsistency out of it by only using one good case
if you can take your reloading gear with you, l'm sure you already have a good load developed so just do a couple of groups reloading the same case
see if that makes any difference to what is going on
this is where the wilson dies are good because they were made to take to the range with you :drinks: but l know you can make a small bench ;)
you can also weigh powder and put it into small containers to take with you but it is a good idea to wash the containers if they are plastic in dishwashing liquid first to stop the static, l usually weigh inside the rear of the car out of the wind

knock it down one thing at a time
but l always bed and trigger job rifles before l shoot them so l know to look elsewhere :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Dec 2019, 3:48 pm

Ah great idea shooting with the one case Marksman... :thumbsup:

As for a shooting bench...well i have one each that live permanently on a couple of properties i shoot on...
(Actually, i asked one of the farmers if the bench was still there & he said yes---he said he wouldnt chuck my bench, but truth is i forgot to take my bench there one day when i had loads to test, so i was forced to rummage through three generations of his rubbish tip to find something suitable, & found a welded frame table that is now the bench there...we had a giggle about that, & he said he didnt remember it--he has a memory like an elephant--he even remembers the exact 10sq/m area he pulled me out of a sand bog some 25 odd years ago when i took a Sigma a couple of metres further than i should have... :lol: ...)...

I digress...
As for load--thats the problem...i dont have one--ive never got repeatable results or chrono numbers out of it...
It shoots around an inch with anything i try--but not very good looking groups...you can tell they are random shotgun type groups...

Ill punch this up in its own thread a bit later...gotta shoot to the shops & get some stuff before they close...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 28 Dec 2019, 9:42 am

Mate I have a T3x Lite in .223 with a 1:12 twist. Accurate straight from the box with factory however really loves my 55gn reloads using BM8208. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this firearm. You wont be disappointed mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Dec 2019, 2:34 pm

Stix wrote:Good info there...thanks very much...ill have a detailed look a little later...

However, i suspect there may be something else going on...the brass im using does seem to be all over the place--especially neck tension wise--even after annealing them, tension/force required in seating bullets is all over the joint...

Ive just started the arduous task of prepping 300 odd cases, :( ... hopefully i can get some consistant ones out of them & see if that makes a diference...
If not...its either tool time, or send back time...

Not that I feel than the hardness of your brass is causing your issues but here is an interesting article from AMP regarding the testing of annealed vs unannealed brass. And they do it using one case to shoot the groups.

https://www.ampannealing.com/articles/5 ... icroscope/
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 28 Dec 2019, 6:24 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
Not that I feel than the hardness of your brass is causing your issues but here is an interesting article from AMP regarding the testing of annealed vs unannealed brass. And they do it using one case to shoot the groups.

https://www.ampannealing.com/articles/5 ... icroscope/

Interesting SCJ...trouble is, the farms i shoot on are out in the mallee, so if i dig a 100 metre underground tunnel to do the testing, its bound to cave in due to being so sandy out there... :lol: :lol: :lol:
And ill give that a go one day, but given the heat, it wont be this week im out in the paddock igniting the a gas torch every shot...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MJW380 » 28 Dec 2019, 7:13 pm

First centrefire I brought was a T3 Lite .223 blued, put a Leupold VX-1 3-9X40 on it in a DNZ Mount, only brought Hornady 55gr softpoints for it, was crazy accurate out of the box. Got some Z-Max 55’s for reloading, used AR2206H powder, and honestly, half were cloverleaf’s, rest not much bigger. It was hard to pick a winner. I had the silly idea that I really needed more magazine capacity, so got an Atlasworx AI bottom metal and 10 round AI type metal magazine. Bad move, the mag was too long and just got in the way to much, ended up selling to a mate fairly cheaply. Regretted it since.....
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Dec 2019, 10:23 pm

You blokes have sold me. Just gotta find one in timber, or do they only do synthetic in the .223 versions ? :unknown:

:friends: :drinks:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 29 Dec 2019, 7:42 am

Die Judicii wrote:You blokes have sold me. Just gotta find one in timber, or do they only do synthetic in the .223 versions ? :unknown:

:friends: :drinks:

Mate as I understand it, the Lite and Superlite are only in synthetic. I picked up a super lite the other day in .243Win and bloody hell it was a feather weight.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Madang185 » 29 Dec 2019, 8:11 am

Personally I would swap powders.

As a suggestion try BM2,8208 or ADI 2206H. Whilst well aware that all barrels are different all of these powders have worked for me.

Another possibility is to swap primers, some barrels/loads are fussy about them.
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Dec 2019, 8:44 am

Madang185 wrote:Personally I would swap powders.

As a suggestion try BM2,8208 or ADI 2206H. Whilst well aware that all barrels are different all of these powders have worked for me.

Another possibility is to swap primers, some barrels/loads are fussy about them.

What sort of improvement are you getting when swapping powder or primers? I would try swapping powders or primers if the load I am trying is shooting well but not up to my expectations. If I couldn't shoot an inch with a powder, I would not expect to change powders and suddenly shoot 0.2. If I knew a bullet would shoot at around 2800 fps, any powder suitable for that case can get me there, wouldn't swapping powders just tune your loads.

I have swapped primers and found an improvement in ES. This is not to say my groups improved at short range. When you say a load is fussy about primers, have you found that a primer swap changed a load from unacceptable accuracy to now being acceptable?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Dec 2019, 9:52 am

Yep, Tikki are available with wooden stocks and after market stocks are also available....
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles