Learning to Shoot the 9.3x62

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Learning to Shoot the 9.3x62

Post by sungazer » 27 Dec 2019, 5:47 pm

SCJ429 wrote:After watching a few of your vids, you look like you are doing pretty well already. The only thing I can see is you appear to use the joint of your trigger finger to pull on the trigger. Try using the pad of your finger, halfway between the tip and the joint.

I have been converted from that technique of using the pad back to using the joint by some very well accomplished old school full bore shooters. That now provide coaching and are well regarded by their piers. There is less movement needed and less imparted on the rifle meaning less movement to the rifle.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by mchughcb » 27 Dec 2019, 6:10 pm

in2anity wrote:Did you capture this with a go-pro? I bet the boys were putting some sh1t on you! I dunno if I’d live it down in front of the old crew in my club... :lol: it is an interesting perspective though I must say

No its a Sony FDR X3000. What club is that?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 27 Dec 2019, 6:12 pm

sungazer wrote:
I have been converted from that technique of using the pad back to using the joint by some very well accomplished old school full bore shooters. That now provide coaching and are well regarded by their piers. There is less movement needed and less imparted on the rifle meaning less movement to the rifle.

Interesting, I used to shoot full bore too but never had much training on the trigger. More on reading the mirage and the breathing. But makes sense to me.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 27 Dec 2019, 8:08 pm

W.R.T prone, squeeze away on the normal respiratory pause after three breaths. Natural POA, body alignment and all that. Follow a routine. Practice makes permanent.
W.R.T standing offhand, pop your hip outward then plant the elbow on the hip, balance the gun on the thumb and index; trigger hand shouldn't be doing much but actuating the trigger. Take the weight off your arms in between shots (if possible). Get the round away quickly before the shakes, else drop the shot and start over.
W.R.T kneeling; low foot if you can. If not, wear very stiff, heavy boots to help stabilise the high foot. Personally I practise the same prone routines for kneeling. Non firing foot tucked under at 90 degrees.
W.R.T cross-legged; try to support your stabilising knee as much as possible - this is easy if you’re young and flexible. Natural POA and all that. Breath control blah blah - same as prone.
Last edited by in2anity on 27 Dec 2019, 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 27 Dec 2019, 8:19 pm

“USMC Gunny Carlos Hathcock gave us all a small piece of paper which he called his “Bible”. It consists of a credit card sized list of instructions for proper marksmanship. The tips were simply put as follows:”

Body Alignment – Natural Point Of Aim
Firm Hand Shake Grip
Firm In Shoulder
Eye Relief – Spot Weld – No Shadow
Stare At Crosshairs – Target Is A Blur
Slow Steady Pressure On Trigger To Rear
Normal Respiratory Pause
Follow Thru
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 27 Dec 2019, 8:34 pm

in2anity wrote:W.R.T prone, squeeze away on the normal respiratory pause after three breaths. Natural POA, body alignment and all that. Follow a routine. Practice makes permanent.
W.R.T standing offhand, pop your hip outward then plant the elbow on the hip, balance the gun on the thumb and index; trigger hand shouldn't be doing much but actuating the trigger. Take the weight off your arms in between shots (if possible). Get the round away quickly before the shakes, else drop the shot and start over.
W.R.T kneeling; low foot if you can. If not, wear very stiff, heavy boots to help stabilise the high foot. Personally I practise the same prone routines for kneeling. Non firing foot tucked under at 90 degrees.
W.R.T cross-legged; try to support your stabilising knee as much as possible - this is easy if you’re young and flexible. Natural POA and all that. Breath control blah blah - same as prone.

I'm not sure this is entirely possible when you are shooting against the clock and reloading.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 27 Dec 2019, 8:39 pm

mchughcb wrote:I'm not sure this is entirely possible when you are shooting against the clock and reloading.

Yeah i get it - I’ve shot my share of snap and rapid to appreciate things kinda go out the window under the pump. Do what you can- try and calm the nerves and practice the exact timeframes you’re expecting.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 27 Dec 2019, 9:05 pm

I also feel you probably know all the stuff I just regurgitated - just throwing it out there in case there’s a nugget in there somewhere :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 27 Dec 2019, 9:47 pm

No worries I'm always learning.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles