Correct operation of 303 bolt

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Correct operation of 303 bolt

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2020, 9:28 pm

Normally after firing a bolt action rifle I take my hand of the trigger and grasp the bolt handle firmly , lift it , pull rearward and close it , lock the bolt handle do wn and then return my hand to the stock and my finger to the outside of the trigger guard. But tonigh I was having a play with the idea of doing it differently. So after taking my hand off the stock and with open palm I used the little finger of my right hand in an upward motion to flick the bolt up at speed so that upon opening the spring automatically threw the bolt back to the rearward position. This was all with no ammo , does this spring have enough power to eject the fired case in this method ? And is the bolt flying
rearward and then stopping suddenly ok for the action. I have heard that the 303 rifle is easy to operate at high speed. Am I doing it right ?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: Correct operation of 303 bolt

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2020, 9:41 pm

I just tried a sized, empty case and it appears the spring will only make the bolt fly back half way so there’s no way a fired case is going to extract that easy so my theory is incorrect. Can a gunsmith safely lighten the trigger.down to two pounds. ? I’m not corncerned about change ing the original historical condition I think it’s a no4 my 1
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Jan 2020, 9:47 pm

Not according to this bloke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rFYZHLuxXZ8
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jan 2020, 4:58 am

G'day Blr243,
Don't understand what you are getting at? The 303 is a cock-on-closing action, when the action is fired, there is no spring tension in the bolt at all, opening the handle will result in nothing at all happening so to get the bolt to open itself you must be using an unfired action. To fire the 303 quickly, you grasp the bolt knob between the thumb and first finger, cycle it and fire with the middle or ring finger not letting go of the bolt knob at all. This is the method used by Iraqveteran8888 in the video SCJ429 posted, as well as that used in the "Mad Minute" exercise, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by trekin » 08 Jan 2020, 7:13 am

Blr243 wrote:I just tried a sized, empty case and it appears the spring will only make the bolt fly back half way so there’s no way a fired case is going to extract that easy so my theory is incorrect. Can a gunsmith safely lighten the trigger.down to two pounds. ? I’m not corncerned about change ing the original historical condition I think it’s a no4 my 1

A competent smith could. Would he, probably, will depend on how much you are willing spend. You can also get the trigger modded to remove the first stage pull.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 08 Jan 2020, 7:20 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Blr243,
Don't understand what you are getting at? The 303 is a cock-on-closing action, when the action is fired, there is no spring tension in the bolt at all, opening the handle will result in nothing at all happening so to get the bolt to open itself you must be using an unfired action. To fire the 303 quickly, you grasp the bolt knob between the thumb and first finger, cycle it and fire with the middle or ring finger not letting go of the bolt knob at all. This is the method used by Iraqveteran8888 in the video SCJ429 posted, as well as that used in the "Mad Minute" exercise, Cheers.

+1
This only works if the bolt is still cocked & nothing in the chamber. Once the bolt is de-cocked there is no spring pressure from the cocked firing pin spring to 'kick' the bolt rearward. The SMLE action is pretty slick anyway and to ensure smooth operation you should operate it briskly. Babying the bolt during operation can lead to hesitant operation.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jan 2020, 4:32 pm

Now I get it. And I now realise it was a bit of a dumb question. Thanks for the vid and info.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 09 Jan 2020, 9:27 pm

Blr243 wrote:Now I get it. And I now realise it was a bit of a dumb question. Thanks for the vid and info.

Not a prob mate, all good. Asking the question and trying things is how we learn eh.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jan 2020, 12:01 pm

U got it. Really looking to get the old rifle into the field later in January
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jan 2020, 12:01 pm

U got it. Really looking to get the old rifle into the field later in January
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 10 Jan 2020, 6:52 pm

The old Smelly is a great piece of kit of play with. The cartridge is also a time proven performer.
I've often considered assembling a modern action chambered for the 303, but I have enough fun with the milsurps in the safe so whh bother eh! Then again, a Ruger No 1 303Brit would certainly scratch a few itches!!!
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jan 2020, 7:20 pm

Gunner have you ever hunted pigs with 303 soft points?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 11 Jan 2020, 7:53 pm

Blr243 wrote:Gunner have you ever hunted pigs with 303 soft points?

Nah, can't say that I have, but have used 174gn FMJ's that were tipped. Plus I've used 124gn HP Taipans, when Boonie used to make them, on goats & roos. Very bloody destructive pills!
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2020, 9:16 pm

When I was going through some random 303 ammo tonight I found some stuff to shoot off at the range early this week. They look like xtp s. Perhaps I just bung some 308 xtp s in there at some stage previously....I will have a hunt around and do some experimenting
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2020, 7:04 am

Blr243 wrote:When I was going through some random 303 ammo tonight I found some stuff to shoot off at the range early this week. They look like xtp s. Perhaps I just bung some 308 xtp s in there at some stage previously....I will have a hunt around and do some experimenting

Mate are you saying here that some of your .303 ammo is loaded with .308 projectiles?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Jan 2020, 9:43 am

Blr243 wrote:Gunner have you ever hunted pigs with 303 soft points?

Yep, it was made by "Super" , I think and were just lead tipped and was out of a heavy barreled rifle with iron sights. No idea of group size but it certainly stopped big pigs very quickly. This was out around the Bre - Goodooga area on 30,000 acres after a flood . was shooting on semi open country out to about 100 - 150 yds. max.
Actually stopped 4 pigs with 3 shots. The 2nd pig in line overtook the 1st pig just as I fired, saved 1 round of ammo.
(Sigh).
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jan 2020, 10:56 am

Robina jack. , I used to a bit of work out at goodooga , on flood plain country , farming country with a bit of scrub. But that when I had no rifles I was younger fitter and I had my amazing wolfhound cross. Fond memories. Jimtom ,,,, after a bit of thinking about that little bit of ammo it’s probably 32 cal xtp s which are usually .311 or .312 I think so they are good size for the bore on my enfield
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2020, 11:22 am

Yeah mate, glad to hear, wasn’t trying to insult your intelligence, just trying to prevent an unnecessary error.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jan 2020, 1:57 pm

All good Jim Tom It’s important that we all look out for each other. Just in case one of us is having a temporary brain malfunction ( locked my keys in the car the other day ) and was useing levers and all sorts trying to open the door in the middle of the supermarket car park .....swearing and generally being a menace in the community
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles