Howa .223 sporter and a new shooter

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Howa .223 sporter and a new shooter

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2020, 4:01 pm

I don't own a Howa, but what does my head in s how these rifles are consistently high quality and low price. Constantly you hear of other makers that are much more expensive and people end up getting lemons. You would think that they would all get their act together in the year 2020.

I bought 2 bolt action Marlins, one is a 223 the other a 30-06. Both s hoot well and both very cheap. $500 & $650.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 26 Jan 2020, 8:58 pm

I’ve been shooting field pos sling comp with an old howa 1500 rebarreled to 223 recently. The gun is reliable and hella smooth. I prefer a single stage, so I swapped for a Timney - but other than that the gun never lets me down. It shoots Vs if you can.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Khalild » 16 Feb 2020, 8:07 pm

Been looking at the .223 varmint as my first rifle between all the positive reviews and the fact that my local gunshop seems to always have them on sale. Might be on a winner.
Khalild
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Silkwaveblue » 16 Feb 2020, 8:27 pm

So the ammo I would try is Buffalo River Game King 55 grain, i have shot it out of a Howa and shoots great.

I might ruffle a few Feathers here but I am not a big believer in the break in process. Just clean the gun before you shoot it.

After you have shot it just give it a light clean. I am a firm believer that a Copper fouled barrel shoots better.

Do a simple clean, one wet patch down the barrel wait a few minutes then put a bronze brush down the barrel once in once out.

After that pass a lightly oiled patch down the barrel once and put it away until next time. ( Make sure you patch the oil out before you shoot again ).

I do this with all my rifles including my Magnum calibre rifles and all shot under MOA @ 100 meters.

Keep it simple!
Silkwaveblue
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles