Best action for rifle build

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Best action for rifle build

Post by Stix » 19 Jan 2020, 10:39 am

I feel your pain with regard to money, putting up with defects & wanting the 'right" rifle...& im not even in the market for my big custom pet jobby yet... :lol:

Firstly, beware of that marksman fella--he'll have you in love with a rifle & cartridge before you know it...!!... :lol:
As an example, ive never wanted a 270 let alone in a magnum--but now i feel as though i need one... :lol:

But seriously...

Im gathering youre like me & dont really know a lot about everything that is available to us out there, & what actions are worth it & what arent...so to educate yourself on the history of actions & everything related to make the right decision will be almost impossible, & certainly overwhelming... :(

So another way to approach this to avoid an almost impossible overload of information, is to just wander through used guns & have a look at whats about...when you see something that looks good, as the question...
For example...a couple of years ago i wanted another 22-250 & there was some disscussion on here about an older Parker Hale action that was apparently a good action to build on...next thing one came up on used guns in 243, almost mint condition, one owner & was only $400 odd bucks...so i rang & missed out by less than 5 mins... :thumbsdown: (i remember i thought it was marksman who bought it because he laughed at me for missing out... :lol: )

So maybe instead of agonising over deciding on a specific fancy action, like GQshayne also mentioned, just choose a rifle that you like/like the look of as you see them become available & then ask the lads "what about these".

Also, maybe be prepared to send the rifle interstate to known & recommended gunsmiths to get the work done--& maybe even enlist the help/services of a genuine expert when it comes to finding & tuning a load, & all the prep work for brass etc...(im not for a moment suggesting you cant load ammo mate--i hope you know that :) but if you are like me, sometimes i shoot i great 3 shot group that prints an inch, & other times i shoot 3 shots without a care & they all touch--& a great deal of that i feel is in the intricacies of loading)...

Having seen the results from what were pretty standard factory actions of guys who really know how to tweak rifles, both on here & from one or two bench resters at the range, (although in my experience, the latter are not often willing to give away very much detailed info to help) im a big believer that you shouldnt have to spend big bucks to get a really nice rifle that is super accurate & a pleasure to shoot...

Taking marksmans example is a great example of what i mean...his costing & how that rifle shoots is amazing i rekon---& thats exactly the route i intend to take when i embark on what you are wanting to do now.

My suggestion would be to start by narrowing down to a couple of cartridges that you think you'd like...

With that...make a list of basic features you want in an action...(short/long, top feed/only mag fed, known reliability of recoil lug system, suitable trigger availability & the ability for them to be tweaked down to your desired safe pull weight...etc etc...)

As i said, as options pop up on the gun sites, ask away & you'll educate yourself as you go along, instead of doin the info intensive cramming of knowledge.

Im keen to see how you progress mate, so i really hope you keep us informed as you progress through this (to use the modern popular term) "journey" :lol:

Cheers Big Ears...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Jan 2020, 11:42 am

Yeah thanks for that Stix but alas another road block , I have to buy a electrical generator first and that will set me back $2,560 and 4-5 mths, but I can still keep looking for info on rifle actions, it doesn't matter that it will be heavy or not the best looking rifle just respectable, accurate , and easy to get bits ie standard brand Remmy, Howa anything that you can take one stock off and bolt another on with out too much trouble . I'll go heavier barrel ,trigger things like that and ones that are easy to get. mate have you had anything to do with ''Dunlite generators or ''Yamaha'' inverter generators? maybe I should go make a new post for this :thumbsup: Anyway gotta go sort this generator stuff before we loose all our tucker, the energy company tinkered with the sub station a year ago and the power goes out now even if it looks like a storm, we lost everything last year not gonna happen again :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2020, 11:56 am

Mmm, I know sfa about this caper. But just seems to me, considering the time you need to put in as well as cash, just easier to buy a new up market rifle. Say 4 or 5k
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 19 Jan 2020, 11:56 am

Yeah thanks for that Stix but alas another road block , I have to buy a electrical generator first and that will set me back $2,560 and 4-5 mths, but I can still keep looking for info on rifle actions, it doesn't matter that it will be heavy or not the best looking rifle just respectable, accurate , and easy to get bits ie standard brand Remmy, Howa anything that you can take one stock off and bolt another on with out too much trouble . I'll go heavier barrel ,trigger things like that and ones that are easy to get. mate have you had anything to do with ''Dunlite generators or ''Yamaha'' inverter generators? maybe I should go make a new post for this :thumbsup: Anyway gotta go sort this generator stuff before we loose all our tucker, the energy company tinkered with the sub station a year ago and the power goes out now even if it looks like a storm, we lost everything last year not gonna happen again :thumbsup:

Sorry mate...cant help with gen sets...

Start another thread dedicated for that topic...that way you'll get direct answers from guys who see you need info...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Jan 2020, 12:57 pm

Yes OB that thought had crossed my mind. But will it be any different to the new ones of today? It would crush me if I done that and it wasn't what I wanted . It's hard to do that as most GS's don't carry that type of rifle and don't get them in unless you order one, BS if you ask me :thumbsdown: But there is a lot to consider about a build but at the moment the generator takes front seat :thumbsup: Cheers :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Jan 2020, 12:59 pm

Yeah Stix probably could but gotta pick one up tomorrow so times short mate
Member-Deleted

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Jan 2020, 1:06 pm

Is it a bolt action rifle you want to build Bushy?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Jan 2020, 1:25 pm

Yes SCJ429 and I probably would even look at a single shot if it come to that , but will keep looking at repeater for now . I want it to be as simple as possible to build but in saying that I don't want it to be a piece of junk that looks pretty and won't shoot it's got to be solid , tough , look reasonable and shoot the eye out of a ferret at 300yds if i'm capable . so its we all want in a rifle but unfortunately the stuff today costs money to get close to that and buying unseen is fraught with being let down if something has to be changed so I thought the build would cost as well but hopefully I would end up with something near to what I wanted it even may cost a little more but its what I want not something I have to put up with because that's the way they make them.
Member-Deleted

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Jan 2020, 3:02 pm

If you have the budget, a custom action is a beautiful thing that is a pleasure to shoot like no factory action commonly available. It would be something that will give you satisfaction for a lifetime.

For a factory action, I like the Weatherby Mark 5. The CZ 550 is also a great option.

I am a fan of the Ruger #1 single shot falling block action and have a few. You can buy one chambered in 222 and rebarrel it in 500 Asquare if you want. Only the extractor and barrel need to be changed. They are one of the strongest actions around and look great.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 19 Jan 2020, 3:45 pm

bigrich wrote:
oops, i've been corrected ;)
there are lots of variants in the range of mauser contract /millitary rifles but, which can be a trap . small ring , large ring, intermediate action (turk, argentine), m48 yugo , k98 . i was sure i had read somewhere that the zastava had subtle differences to the k98 . i read recently that some parker hales had 1903 springfield bolts modified to fit in parker's surplus mauser actions :unknown: . the early parker hales have a good reputation, some are reworked ww2 surplus mausers, later ones were built on spanish commercial mauser actions . of coarse for magnum cases a modified p14 would be interesting, no worries about action strength on a winchester/remington made action. p14/m17 are massivly over enginered .:

a bit more to add to what you have written BR :drinks:

l have already given you the subtle differences to the k98 that zastava has
the parker hale made rifle with the springfield bolt is the budget made midland with push feed, not a true mauser or parker hale
a lot of actions used by parker hale were zastava made mark x finished by parker hale to a better quality finish

l think the action strength would actually be negligible between the m98 and p14/m17, the differences would have nothing to do with action strength
Jeffery's used the Mauser ’98 as the foundation for their .404 Jeffrey and even the .500 Jeffrey, which was built on the standard Mauser ’98 action
what else can l say :unknown:
it would be more about a personal preference between them eg..
do you want a rifle that is cock on close or cock on open :unknown:

the zastava actions are worth doing a build on lMHO and l probably will do it myself after my next build

l made a promise that l will be breaking again, this is my last build, when will l learn :lol: bugger

the zastava is available new, is already in the cal, has the mag oal, the whole rifle new will cost $1200 brand new, then just shoot out the barrel playing while saving up for a new heaver barrel, some of the zastava timber stocks are a work of art, truly something to see but l can get a new stock for the zasty
very cheap good looking good shooting custom :thumbsup: the zastava is made to shoot at 300wm psi
https://protactical.com.au/browse-produ ... hts-3-shot

anyway l have dreamt of doing this for a long time and have done the homework
the easy way is the howa but l myself would prefer a mauser, so there l've talked myself into it again :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

here is a sample of the actions that come up occasionally magnum and new at $500, the reason l dont own this one is it is advertised as a lefty
http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/66190 ... _only.html

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Jan 2020, 6:09 pm

Thanks SCJ429 and marksman looks like there's a few to choose from .
Member-Deleted

Post by MrSavage » 19 Jan 2020, 6:54 pm

Before an action, you need to decide what kind of shooting you want to do and at what ranges.
What kind of accuracy you want, what cartridge and projectile weight.

This will tell you the action size, the barrel length and the rifling twist.

Once you decide the size it's going to narrow the field especially if you want it magazine fed.

I wouldn't go with an old action. Modern actions made on CNC machines are so much better.

I have got an older action that I had trued and it can shoot under 2" at 500m but next time I'd get a full custom action. They feel better, are more accurate and aren't that much dearer.

If you are going to the trouble of doing this then make something that is awesome. It's going to last forever.

There are a lot of choices out there.

If you want a variety of drop in stock options then you could consider a bat 700 clone.
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Jan 2020, 7:48 pm

What rifle are you using that is shooting two inches at 500, and what caliber is it? That is some fine shooting.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 19 Jan 2020, 8:16 pm

SCJ429 wrote:What rifle are you using that is shooting two inches at 500, and what caliber is it? That is some fine shooting.

My thoughts exactly. And what more could you hope for with a “new” action?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Jan 2020, 9:32 pm

GDB,
I just thought, maybe with all the talk about which brand, which caliber, which barrel etc etc
And of course the cost of it all.

The thought that crossed my mind was that everything has been put to you back to front.

Maybe the 1st port of call should be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "Wallet Wizard"

:lol: :lol: :drinks:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jan 2020, 11:13 pm

I think i'll need more than a wizard at the moment DJ more like a miracle
Member-Deleted

Post by MrSavage » 23 Jan 2020, 7:08 am

SCJ429 wrote:What rifle are you using that is shooting two inches at 500, and what caliber is it? That is some fine shooting.

It's an old savage long action flat back from the 90s.
I had the Lee trengove trim up the lugs etc and put an after market bolt head on it as well as a bigger recoil lug.
Maddco 30" 1:8 7mm barrel.

It's bedded in a steel stock and used for fly shoot using 284 Winchester.

It's up there with the full customs but can't best them.

Last week I shot a 2.5" group but the best group was 0.75"
That is what a full custom rifle can do.

You guys never mention savage but I've seen some remarkable groups shot by factory savages, the new competition ones with no work done to them.
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 23 Jan 2020, 8:05 am

"You guys never mention savage but I've seen some remarkable groups shot by factory savages, the new competition ones with no work done to them."

theres nothing wrong with the savages they shoot and the competition ones are really made for competition :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Jan 2020, 8:25 am

I have seen a factory Savage 6BR that shoots very well.

Did you shoot your 0.75 group at a Fly competition? If so what year? Amazing group, I would be happy for a two inch group somewhere around the middle of the target.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MrSavage » 23 Jan 2020, 8:49 am

SCJ429 wrote:I have seen a factory Savage 6BR that shoots very well.

Did you shoot your 0.75 group at a Fly competition? If so what year? Amazing group, I would be happy for a two inch group somewhere around the middle of the target.

Wasn't me that shot that.
Was last weekend at Belmont.
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Jan 2020, 8:57 am

Well done shooting a two inch group. Are you going to the Federal Fly in March, Canberra?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MrSavage » 23 Jan 2020, 9:13 am

SCJ429 wrote:Well done shooting a two inch group. Are you going to the Federal Fly in March, Canberra?

No.
Not good enough for that.
Need to be more consistent overall.
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by MrSavage » 23 Jan 2020, 12:42 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have seen a factory Savage 6BR that shoots very well.

All those 6 BR variants are good and accurate. On a clear day, 6 dashers are hard to beat.
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles